Top Six versus Everton: Player by Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sona

Player Valuation: £8m
I just read a comment on another thread about how none of our players would be good enough for any of the top six sides and it got me thinking.

For the purposes of this, I've simplified the formations (e.g. I'm aware that Chelsea play with a back three) and have rather picked the best players from each position:

GK: Pickford (Ederson/ De Gea/ Courtois/ Lloris/ Mignolet/ Cech)

RB: Coleman (Walker/ Valencia/ Moses/ Trippier/ Alexander-Arnold/ Bellerin)

LB: Baines (Mendy/ Young/ Alonso/ Rose/ Robertson/ Monreal)

CB: Keane (Kompany/ Smalling/ Cahill/ Alderweireld/ Lovren/ Mustafi)

CB: Holgate (Otamendi/ Jones/ Rudiger/ Vertonghen/ Van Dijk/ Koscielny)

DM: Gueye (Fernandinho/ Matic/ Kante/ Dier/ Can/ Xhaka)

CM: Davies (De Bruyne/ Pogba/ Fabregas/ Dembele/ Henderson/ Wilshere)

AM: Rooney (D.Silva/ Mata/ Willian/ Alli/ Lallana/ Ramsey)

RW: Walcott (Sterling/ Martial/ Pedro/ Eriksen/ Salah/ Mkhitaryan)

LW: Sigurdsson (Sane/ Sanchez/ Hazard/ Son/ Mane/ Ozil)

ST: Tosun (Aguero/ Lukaku/ Morata/ Kane/ Firminho/ Aubameyang)

Key:
Bold= selected
Italics= Everton player selected

It makes for some interesting reading.

Realistically, we have just ONE player who would get into most of the top six sides and that is Seamus Coleman.

We then have Pickford and Walcott who could get into a couple of the teams.

Then we are really scraping the barrel with Baines and Gueye possibly displacing a player in ONE of the teams (incidentally, these positions are widely regarded as weak links for those teams and even in Can's case, he will be replaced by Keita in the summer anyway).

Considering the money spent by the club so far, it really is a damning indictment of the recruitment policy. It also goes to show just how much money is needed to actually break into that elite group of six teams.

Walcott would for definite.

Pickford is at the biggest club he will ever play for.

I agree with that. Despite his undoubted potential, Pickford would never displace De Gea, Ederson, Courtois or Lloris.

We'd never sell him to those over the park.

Which would only leave Arsenal and I would suggest that they'll be replacing Cech this summer; far too early for Pickford to move on.

A very long winded way of repeating many existing axioms on this forum: we're not very good, the squad isn't all that, we've not brought well.

Cheers.

Another example of absolute cretins on this forum quickly stamping out any type of new thread whatsoever with a snide quip in the vain hope of being accepted by one of the cool kids.

Cheers.

Coleman and Walcott maybe but that's about it, and while they may get in and around those teams 1st 11's, I think we are now past the point where any one of those teams would make a move for either of them, given their age and injury records.

Gueye and Pickford are probably our 2 most overrated players and are nowhere near the standard for any of those teams, save for Liverpool who need a keeper, but you would imagine they would set their sights higher than Pickford.

Baines is finished, and wouldn't get in ahead most of those teams 2nd choice LB's (case in point, Young is a converted winger and offers so much more than Baines both offensively and defensively).

It's the 1st time in a long time that we won't have teams above us try to steal our players. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate.

As a side note, Rooney is probably our best player, but there's no way any of those teams would look to sign him at this stage in his career, and it's doubtful he'd go anyway. While he might not be what he once was and while he might not be able to play every minute of every game, we really should be building the team around him, as he is a leader and our only player who is or has ever been world class.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is to look at the worst players at top 6 clubs and if they are good enough for us.

The logic used suggests they must be because they play for a top 6 club. But top 6 clubs buy poor players the same as we do.

It's always been a bit of a daft thing to say when assessing if a player is good enough to improve us.

We are a long way off top 6 unfortunately.....

It's not just the team of the top 6 that we can't compare it's the squad in most instances.....

However all is not lost & there is always hope, if we can get 3/4 good signings in for the summer we can compete for a top 6 position....

We have got a good bunch of youngsters coming through & they will develope, some quicker than others.....

More positivity away from home is a must though as it is just not been pretty away from hope, we need to show some belief......

COYB.....

Coleman and Walcott maybe but that's about it, and while they may get in and around those teams 1st 11's, I think we are now past the point where any one of those teams would make a move for either of them, given their age and injury records.

Gueye and Pickford are probably our 2 most overrated players and are nowhere near the standard for any of those teams, save for Liverpool who need a keeper, but you would imagine they would set their sights higher than Pickford.

Baines is finished, and wouldn't get in ahead most of those teams 2nd choice LB's (case in point, Young is a converted winger and offers so much more than Baines both offensively and defensively).

It's the 1st time in a long time that we won't have teams above us try to steal our players. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate.

As a side note, Rooney is probably our best player, but there's no way any of those teams would look to sign him at this stage in his career, and it's doubtful he'd go anyway. While he might not be what he once was and while he might not be able to play every minute of every game, we really should be building the team around him, as he is a leader and our only player who is or has ever been world class.

It all depends how you spin it, while Young is good at United, put young in as our left back and Baines would be a lot more effective than him in our system. Young would be exposed and have to rely on his defensive skills of which he has none.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is to look at the worst players at top 6 clubs and if they are good enough for us.

The logic used suggests they must be because they play for a top 6 club. But top 6 clubs buy poor players the same as we do.

It's always been a bit of a daft thing to say when assessing if a player is good enough to improve us.

I mean this, would Mingalot get games for us? Hes no better than Pickford or Robles, but each 1 of the top 6 have a slight weakness, somewhere, bar City, but city bought quality players all over, Utd bought 2 players for almost 200m and neither are much cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.