Top Six versus Everton: Player by Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost pointless to compare. You just don't know if some players will burst into life and be class. Salah at Chelsea was a shadow of the player he is now, for example.

The likes of Holgate could be like Rio Ferdinand at a different side; you just don't know.

You think Alexander-Arnold is better than Coleman?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

In the words of their own manager, Luke Shaw is not United's left back.

As for Walcott, at this moment I'd take him over Martial to play RW yes. LW? Probably not. In three years' time? Almost certainly not.

Well as I said later on, would Liverpool buy Coleman to replace Arnold?

Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, 33 year old Leighton Baines, not a massive difference to me.

As for Walcott we will have to agree to disagree, for me Martial is a much better player, even now nevermind in 3 years, where ever he plays.

But its not as black and white as that, did anybody really see Fellaini at United? John Stones playing for the champions? Both good players, dont get me wrong, but neither really looked like they would play for top teams and play well. Hell even now people think Lukaku is a terrible player, for me hes not great, but he is a superb goalscorer.

I mean if we were to use Baines in his prime, he could have played for anybody in the world, Coleman could play for most teams, Rooney is a gimme, Walcott has played for a top 6 team, but hey, so has Morgan SniderRAT.

But I do agree that in terms of players, we are a million miles from where we need to be, spunking 300m up the wall hasnt really helped AT ALL.

This Summer will be all about trying to fix the utter mess the squad is in, its doubtful we will even be able to do that in 1 window, infact, its impossible with the current set up, basically even in a perfect world we are 5-6 years away from even being able to "challenge".

Well as I said later on, would Liverpool buy Coleman to replace Arnold?

As an immediate fix for right now? Yes, I think so. Likely? Absolutely not for obvious reasons.

Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, 33 year old Leighton Baines, not a massive difference to me.

Totally agree. Which is why Baines does get in, albeit on a bit of a technicality.

As for Walcott we will have to agree to disagree, for me Martial is a much better player, even now nevermind in 3 years, where ever he plays.

I think the record of Walcott speaks for itself. He's also made an excellent (and consistent) start to his Everton career and is one player who really excites me.

But its not as black and white as that, did anybody really see Fellaini at United? John Stones playing for the champions? Both good players, dont get me wrong, but neither really looked like they would play for top teams and play well. Hell even now people think Lukaku is a terrible player, for me hes not great, but he is a superb goalscorer.

I mean if we were to use Baines in his prime, he could have played for anybody in the world, Coleman could play for most teams, Rooney is a gimme, Walcott has played for a top 6 team, but hey, so has Morgan SniderRAT.

But I do agree that in terms of players, we are a million miles from where we need to be, spunking 300m up the wall hasnt really helped AT ALL.

This Summer will be all about trying to fix the utter mess the squad is in, its doubtful we will even be able to do that in 1 window, infact, its impossible with the current set up, basically even in a perfect world we are 5-6 years away from even being able to "challenge".

Ageee on that mate. I think looking at the positions in this way simply highlights just how far away we are from even competing, let alone challenging and establishing ourselves.

And this coming from someone who has received 24,670 likes on an Internet forum? Grow up. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the thread, don't post in it. :pint2:
Mate, don't worry about it. There are some people who behave weirdly on here by going onto threads to say they don't like them.

As an immediate fix for right now? Yes, I think so. Likely? Absolutely not for obvious reasons.

Totally agree. Which is why Baines does get in, albeit on a bit of a technicality.

I think the record of Walcott speaks for itself. He's also made an excellent (and consistent) start to his Everton career and is one player who really excites me.

Ageee on that mate. I think looking at the positions in this way simply highlights just how far away we are from even competing, let alone challenging and establishing ourselves.

Walcott is looking a superb piece of business so far, 20m is utter buttons for a player of his talent.

I do admit I wasnt really a big fan of him coming in, but he looks hungry and with something to prove and certainly has bags of talent, im just a big fan of Tony Marshall, but yeah hes a little up and down at the moment, there are a few coin flips like.

If we hadn't bought Walcott, but ended up having a choice between him and Martial to bring in, I would put our house on it that virtually the whole of GOT would have picked Martial.
If only for resale value ;)
It would help if we knew what type of team we were actually trying to be, which type of managers we are trying to attract and therefore what players they would desire.

What’s the deal all of a sudden with this ‘top 6’. It’s media construct and 6th has generally meant the same as 7th for the past few seasons and almost certainly will be same this season as 6th & 7th get into Europa league with 5th just at an earlier round. The only glass ceiling is champions league so compare with top 4 cos anything below top 4 are also rans in terms of money and attractiveness to players these days

One does not win the league by individuals alone. Leicester won it with a bunch of turds and two competent players. In the past weaker teams have beaten the paper champs many times. It's also about chemistry and functioning as a unit.
You're right about the chemistry. But only a great manager can discover the formula.

Kanté wasn't a turd!

Um, but in recent years we've brought Stones, Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini, Lukaku and Lescott who all left for the bigger clubs. So we can buy those kind of players. So don't quite agree with your first point.

The second one is correct: hanging on to anyone decent is a big challenge.

You said we hadn't bought well and then listed players who were sold on.

That list was mainly young players. Even then we could t sign the players with real potential. As good as those players are there's no De Bruynes Gabriel Jesus's or Eden Hazards.

Perhaps the player with biggest potential was lukaku but he was a top 6 reject and looks out of his depth now he's back in top 6.

We're chasing a different class of player and pretty much hoping the stats align like they did for Leicester.

You said we hadn't bought well and then listed players who were sold on.

That list was mainly young players. Even then we could t sign the players with real potential. As good as those players are there's no De Bruynes Gabriel Jesus's or Eden Hazards.

Perhaps the player with biggest potential was lukaku but he was a top 6 reject and looks out of his depth now he's back in top 6.

We're chasing a different class of player and pretty much hoping the stats align like they did for Leicester.
Out of his depth?!

He's got 21 goals with a third of the season to play.

this is the way I see it. Walcott is decent for us but to say he is better than Mkitariyan is just nonsense, Arsenal just discarded Walcott and replaced him with Mkitariyan.
Apart from Coleman and maybe Pickford we don't have any players that would get in the top 6 teams.
The 3 we DID have we sold....all to top 6 teams!!

BUT.....Leicester won the league without a single player that would get in the top 6 teams on paper. Mahrez was a relative unknown that first day of the season when, if I recall, he scored a couple of goals and ppl took notice. Vardy was yet to establish himself as a top striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.