Time To Break FFP?

Is it time to take the hit and break FFP?

• Yes

Votes: 153 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Maybe (give Brands 1 more window)

Votes: 14 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic I know
But when did Green King become a big player. When I lived down South they were just regional...and it was crap beer too
Green King was actually a player of some repute as far back as the Arthurian era. Had a big rivalry with Gawain.

No they wont.

And nor will FFP be scrapped.

But hey, going round in circles isn't fun, so lets wait and see what happens.

We need to wait to see confirmation of the decision first. I'd agree with you that I don't believe FFP will be scrapped, certainly not in the short term, as the ego's and arrogance of UEFA will prevent them from doing such.

However, the system will be rendered impotent if this goes through. Every club will know, if they are fined with a breach in relation to sponsorship, they would now only need to vaguely threaten them with escalating it to CAS and unless UEFA would be in a position to show a more clear breach of the regulations than City partook in (including seemingly quite blatant disregard for the rules). To overturn a precedent it normally has to be substantially beyond what a court finds. Given the levels of breaches City partook in, I'm not even sure how that would look.

The sponsorship deal that they organised I believe was something like 15 x higher than the most lucrative deal at the time. Thats the scale we are talking here. Imagine the biggest sponsorship deal for something in the league, stick a 0 on the end of it, and as a club we still wouldn't even be approaching what City did. That looks like to be cleared by CAS. What does something substantially worse look like? 100 times bigger than the biggest deal? ON Shirt sponsorship that would be a deal of £8bn per season, which we would in no way require.

So maybe they keep running FFP for a time, but it is all a tad pointless if you can't impose sanctions. It just becomes a voluntary scheme that people can follow if they choose.

We need to wait to see confirmation of the decision first. I'd agree with you that I don't believe FFP will be scrapped, certainly not in the short term, as the ego's and arrogance of UEFA will prevent them from doing such.

However, the system will be rendered impotent if this goes through. Every club will know, if they are fined with a breach in relation to sponsorship, they would now only need to vaguely threaten them with escalating it to CAS and unless UEFA would be in a position to show a more clear breach of the regulations than City partook in (including seemingly quite blatant disregard for the rules). To overturn a precedent it normally has to be substantially beyond what a court finds. Given the levels of breaches City partook in, I'm not even sure how that would look.

The sponsorship deal that they organised I believe was something like 15 x higher than the most lucrative deal at the time. Thats the scale we are talking here. Imagine the biggest sponsorship deal for something in the league, stick a 0 on the end of it, and as a club we still wouldn't even be approaching what City did. That looks like to be cleared by CAS. What does something substantially worse look like? 100 times bigger than the biggest deal? ON Shirt sponsorship that would be a deal of £8bn per season, which we would in no way require.

So maybe they keep running FFP for a time, but it is all a tad pointless if you can't impose sanctions. It just becomes a voluntary scheme that people can follow if they choose.

Would be hilarious if as you say City win the case and we sack Cazoo off the day after with a £30 million a season Megafon deal lol

Im actually suprised we didnt wait until the court case concluded before doing that tbh - unless we decide to then increase the stadium naming rights deal.

Would be hilarious if as you say City win the case and we sack Cazoo off the day after with a £30 million a season Megafon deal lol

Im actually suprised we didnt wait until the court case concluded before doing that tbh - unless we decide to then increase the stadium naming rights deal.
Still got the sleeve sponsor to go.

Still got the sleeve sponsor to go.

True mate although I imagine we'll be less likely to win a court case claiming a sleeve sponser is worth triple more than the shirt one!

I imagine if City win the case FFP will still knock about but it will just give clubs more scope to try get around the loophole with sponsers such as the shirt/ground naming rights.

I dont think anyone will get away with sponsoring the bog rolls or academy team to the tune of £40 million a season!

And when we break the rules by just one pound:
  • England Everton – €2 billion fine, €4 million suspended. Squad reduced to 2 players. Transfer and salary spending restrictions for a twenty two-year period. Goodison Park ordered to be demolished.

I might get to a game then! They could play home games at Sefton, Princes, Newsham and Stanley Parks

FFP was heralded in under a completely false premise. It was sold as being a protection for clubs to stop overly ambitious owners bankrupting them through blind stupidity.

However, the reality was, that the major European clubs wanted a glass ceiling installing to stop clubs like City gate crashing their gravy train. The reason it’s never been fully implemented by UEFA is they know fine well, that if a club like City wants to really push this beyond CAS and into the civil courts, which is what they’ve implied they’ll do with their current case btw.

As and when that day finally comes, the entire FFP premise will fall to pieces, as it’s ultimately anti competitive. As name another business on the planet where an owner can’t if he chooses, invest as much of his own cash as he wishes, in order to try and develop his business for a later ROI? It should be of no one else’s concern what an owner spends, with the caveat that he covers any annual losses beyond a set level. That’s literally it.

As for this current case. It’s entirety is based on stolen emails and UEFA completely failed to consider City’s entire defence document. Expect at least a reduction and imo a quite likely quashing of the entire penalty.

Cazoo look a good company to work with, and are a growing brand. USM will keep sponsoring things in the background, setting a bar.

FFP was heralded in under a completely false premise. It was sold as being a protection for clubs to stop overly ambitious owners bankrupting them through blind stupidity.

However, the reality was, that the major European clubs wanted a glass ceiling installing to stop clubs like City gate crashing their gravy train. The reason it’s never been fully implemented by UEFA is they know fine well, that if a club like City wants to really push this beyond CAS and into the civil courts, which is what they’ve implied they’ll do with their current case btw.

As and when that day finally comes, the entire FFP premise will fall to pieces, as it’s ultimately anti competitive. As name another business on the planet where an owner can’t if he chooses, invest as much of his own cash as he wishes, in order to try and develop his business for a later ROI? It should be of no one else’s concern what an owner spends, with the caveat that he covers any annual losses beyond a set level. That’s literally it.

As for this current case. It’s entirety is based on stolen emails and UEFA completely failed to consider City’s entire defence document. Expect at least a reduction and imo a quite likely quashing of the entire penalty.

Everything you say is true. And that day, is Monday if UEFA's case collapses.

Cazoo look a good company to work with, and are a growing brand. USM will keep sponsoring things in the background, setting a bar.

I just hope USM sponser the womens/academy kits - even a 3 year deal at say £3 million per year would work out the same as the Cazoo deal having been £12 million instead of the £9 million just for the main kit.

Be interesting to see who the sleeve sponser will be - wonder when we'll find out?

There are many other avenues we could choose if the will is there.

I went on a Villa forum yesterday and they’re talking about selling their own ground for a vastly inflated price, just so that it can then be rented back to themselves. A practice that has already been seen in the Championship, which seems to apply FFP far more rigorously than anywhere else.

We could sponsor Goodison, or we could sell it, considering that it actually is going to be sold anyway, whereas all the other clubs are blatantly just pretending to sell their own grounds.

The will has to be there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.