Tim Cahill in a Coaching Role....

Bring Cahill back to Everton in a coaching role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always treated it as an honour to play for us and spent every game trying to pay that back.
If he could demonstrate a proven ability to instill this sort of mentality in his players he could be a very useful asset.

The poor first touch, the lack of pace, the complete one footedness, the lack of awareness of his own limitations (trying to take people on when he’s so slow). I stand by my comment, he’s not a great technician, he can just hit a decent dead ball and is a good finisher. See David Bentley but with a bit more stamina and professionalism.

Scored more than a quarter of his goals with his left foot, so can't be that one footed. Praised for his technical ability by Hoddle and other commentators on the game. I don't consider pace in itself to be 'technique' seeing as it isn't dependent on having the ball but if you want to talk about running, covered more ground than any other player in the league last season. I've seen plenty of examples of great control in tight spaces.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Wouldn't be crazy enough to suggest him as next manager but just watching him on Goals on Sunday, and he comes across as he played... Honest and consonantly talking about players owing it to the fans to give 100% on the pitch.

I think it would be great if we could bring him in as a coach next season, have him learning off the manager (as long as its not Fat Sam) and completing his coaching badges and then who knows he could be a contender in 5 years time to look at being our manager or at least moving into a assistant role. Look at Arteta now, being linked with management jobs.

Personally I think he got what being a Evertonian is about more than most.
How about getting a coach with all his badges

Genuinely sick of this fascination with having former players in coaching positions at the club

Can we not just get the best people in for the job?

If they happen to have played for Everton, fine, but it shouldn't be a factor in the decision-making about who we want

Genuinely sick of this fascination with having former players in coaching positions at the club

If they happen to have played for Everton, fine, but it shouldn't be a factor in the decision-making about who we want
Our last two trophy winning managers were former players, but I know what you're getting at. It's the jobs for the boys we need to strip back.

Our last two trophy winning managers were former players, but I know what you're getting at. It's the jobs for the boys we need to strip back.

Dave Unsworth, Franny Jeffers, Phil Jevons, John Ebbrell and Duncan Ferguson are all on the current coaching staff - all of whom are former players. That's before you get to Scott Phelan, Steven Schumacher, Paul Tait and John Doolan, all of whom started out as youth team players here.

In recent years Kevin Sheedy, Alan Stubbs and David Weir have also been on the staff, and there's probably loads more that I can't remember off the top of my head

I would have no problem if all of these people were seen as the best possible appointments we could make from a coaching perspective, but I have my doubts as to whether that is the case and whether it's just a "jobs for the boys" mentality that we have.

Frankly, I've been surprised that Osman and Hibbert haven't turned up in some capacity

How about getting a coach with all his badges
Think the point has been missed with a few on this one. A coach with all the badges is great but it is the extra something that I think Cahill would bring that I was getting at. Even if all he brought to the coaching side was teaching the players running off the ball for headers then it would be more of a benefit than the coaches with badges are seemingly teaching them at the moment.

I could be wrong but I can see Unsworth and Ebrell that have done a good job with the under 23's and then Fergusson with the 1st team....not a load of old players and not a fascination.

I could be wrong but I can see Unsworth and Ebrell that have done a good job with the under 23's and then Fergusson with the 1st team....not a load of old players and not a fascination.

So, Unsworth has been getting great reviews, can't argue with that. Ebbrell seems to be valued by Unsworth, I guess you'd have to trust Unsworth's judgement on that. Ferguson? How do we know what sort of a job he has been doing? Tosun and Lukaku have said positive things about him, but other than that (and Dunc was/is my hero), what evidence do we have that he is doing a good job? Or a bad job for that matter?

Take a step backwards, are we really saying that we should appoint former players to the coaching staff because they "get" the club, rather than appointing who the best qualified people are?

People just plucking names out of favourite ex players and thinking that is the answer to our problems, he has no credentials, I don't think it would work, the game has changed, lets give Bob Latchford a go as he was my favourite blue.

People just plucking names out of favourite ex players and thinking that is the answer to our problems, he has no credentials, I don't think it would work, the game has changed, lets give Bob Latchford a go as he was my favourite blue.
You have given your age away mate! Latchford was a kids hero as he proved his heart against the RS many times. Cahill is a man from
head to toe, and I would love to see him on our back-room staff.

A limited player in ability but gave everything.

I'm with you there. His positional sense masked his 6/10 rating in virtually every other department. No pace, can't tackle. That uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time made him invaluable

Nonsense. Class first touch, class in the air, great finisher with either foot or his head, could play deep midfield or off the front man, made intelligent runs, was combative.

No player in the current team can touch him for technical ability.

And that's the beauty of football. You see a different player to me :)

Same. Apparently wanting Benitez is accepting mediocrity but wanting Tim Cahill, who's got no coaching experience, isn't.

I don't get the logic tbh.
Anders Limpar was mine, what's he doing nowadays?

Its a yes from me, if our players showed just half of his enthusiasm and pride in playing for the blues as he did then that would do for me, he will spread pride in the blue shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.