The System

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't got patience, perhaps Everton aren't the best team for you to be following right now. This is going to take time to perfect but we're unbeaten and the opposition hasn't got near us during these first 4 games. In fact, you could probably add up the amount of saves Howard (and Robles) have made on one hand.

Its not worked but its only 4 games and we havent lost, time is the key, some people seem to think the "The System" was great under Moyes, at times we were utter ****e under Moyes, didnt Newcastle put 6 past us in his third game?

Its not worked but its only 4 games and we havent lost, time is the key, some people seem to think the "The System" was great under Moyes, at times we were utter ****e under Moyes, didnt Newcastle put 6 past us in his third game?

The comparison isn't between that moyes team and this martinez team, though.

Because we had different players.

We've played these exact same players in a different system, so it's not unreasonable when trying to compare the qualities of the system vs the qualities of the players to refer to that.

It is unreasonable to compare it to 11 completely different players playing a different system.

the build up is slow we lack confidence - DM has not helped things either!

I think all the off field shenanigans has had a big effect on the overall teams confidence and togetherness at the moment,just need to get through Monday unscathed!

this is the biggest problem with our play so far:

16iic14.png

We're not creating chances. We're getting plenty of shots, but most of them are the likes of Barkley from 25 yards (hence such a small % on target), and we're just not getting shots off in solid goalscoring positions.

The amount of times I shouted "just hit it" today was incredible. Sometimes trying to do too much instead of just putting the foot through it. Deulofeu was a welcome breath of fresh air, how nobody gambled at teh end I'll never know. It's nice we're controlling each game though, once we find that killer instinct, i think we will be fine.

Is anyone really worried? I'm not. I think we could do with a natural poacher to help things along, but the way we're playing it's a matter of time before that confidence of through balls, taking chances comes. Thought Kone looked better than Jelavic again today.

Well, it wins my gratitude for not booting the ball to the opposition for half the game.

We averaged 52% possession in the league last year, vs 57% so far this year,

You'd imagine that will drop once we play some better teams (we had more possession last year vs both Norwich away and west brom at home than we did this year in the corresponding games) but, you're right, it's a step in the right direction.

What do we win for that exactly, dave?

The fine tuning can be worked on but we now have a system in place, which is not to everyones taste. The more we have possession means the less they have possession, I know its simplistic but it means the opposition will not be able to create as many chances. Our problem is that we are new to this type of football and it will take some time to work but in the long term it has to be the way to go if we are to progress. No team can progress far enough with long ball percentage football because its just like the toss of a coin. Possession football instilled into a club will show benefits in the long term. At the moment we are learning and Martinez will know before too long what players cannot adapt and what players can adapt and thats when his work moves to the next stage. If fans show the patience with him that we gave Moyes then you will see a very forward thinking and modern day football team/club evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.