The System

Status
Not open for further replies.
"the most successful manager in the other club's history" involved winning 6 games mate - 4 of which were against lower league opposition. He also took that club down to the Championship after they'd been an established Prem club for 8 years (4 of those under him - 4 years in which the side under performed his predecessors, and for the most part just barely avoided the drop, before falling through).

Yes he did a good job at Swansea, but he wasn't managing at this level during that period.

I'm fully behind him in as much as I BADLY want him to succeed, in spite of my reservations, but let me put it this way - if he hadn't won the FA Cup (and as I said - an excellent achievement, but it's only 6 games, 4 vs lower league) there's no WAY he'd currently be our manager.

That's just churlish. The feller has achieved and everyone knows it. To say you doubt he's good enough for us is a) premature, and b ) unbelievably harsh on his managerial record.

I very much disagree with the idea that possession football is something alien to our players, though.

Moyes didn't have faith in it which was why we kept resorting to hoof ball but we resorted it to after thirty mintues or two months or whatever of playing pass and move.

It's not a brand new idea, at all.

Its not alien to our players I know that but I also know that they are not adept at making it count. Moyes tried to introduce it last year and it worked to an extent, we played some good stuff but he was too quick to revert to type. All I am saying is that Martinez will persist with possession football and we will become better at possession football. Rough ride coming up but I think we will be better for it. I may be proved wrong.

That's just churlish. The feller has achieved and everyone knows it. To say you doubt he's good enough for us is a) premature, and b ) unbelievably harsh on his managerial record.

You may call it churlish, but it's utterly true. If Wigan hadn't won the FA Cup last season, he would not be the Everton manager today. And bearing in mind they took a replay to get past Bournemouth in the 3rd round and snuck past non-league Macclesfield in the second (to say nothing of managing to draw a struggling Championship side in the semi final) that's not exactly a huge leap to that happening.

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT

kinda funny how we were all worried that we would lose our defensive qualities with Martinez when its been the opposite!

I don't see how we are dominating games by keeping the ball in our own half for ages pissing about. Dominating is being all over them peppering shots in on goal, lots of chances to score. Possession stats mean nothing if it's in the wrong area of the pitch.

Some solutions to solve it

need Gibson back in and sign another def midfielder as back up to protect the back four

if felli stays push him further forward with barkley playing slightly further back

if felli goes i would try 2 up front

miralles needs to be involved more and improve
move him left or central or sub him earlier

You may call it churlish, but it's utterly true. If Wigan hadn't won the FA Cup last season, he would not be the Everton manager today. And bearing in mind they took a replay to get past Bournemouth in the 3rd round and snuck past non-league Macclesfield in the second (to say nothing of managing to draw a struggling Championship side in the semi final) that's not exactly a huge leap to that happening.

They battered us and then did a number on the richest club in the world to win it. Dont forget those small unimportant facts.

It's like saying we only beat Bayern Munich in 1985.

They battered us and then did a number on the richest club in the world to win it. Dont forget those small unimportant facts.

It's like saying we only beat Bayern Munich in 1985.
Two very good results those. But two games is hardly a major foundation stone for a reputation!!

And it WOULD be the same as saying that if the Everton team at that time had accomplished nothing else apart from being relegated.

The biggest leap of faith is that Martinez has to actually be good enough to make it all work. And while I desperately want him to succeed (both for Everton and for him - he seems like a good guy) there's absolutely no real evidence so far to suggest that he IS good enough - despite the masterful PR job done by Dave Whelan.

This is my worry. Anyone can talk about playing in a certain way. But two things - can he put it into practice, and is it going to be a successful way of playing in the PL. I agree, the first of these at least is as yet unanswered

Yes. Domination of every game = system works.

Anyone who can't see that we just need a striker worth his salt can't follow the game.

System fine - personnel needs fine tuning.

This with bells on!!

Stick a Rooney, benteke or RVP, hell even a Defoe or possibly a bent up top and we'd be sat on 9pts now....it's been our Achilles heel for years now, a bit of luck with a transfer or new owners is all that's gonna save us. This season will follow a familiar pattern with our current crop of 3 strikers unfortunately!

If you haven't got patience, perhaps Everton aren't the best team for you to be following right now. This is going to take time to perfect but we're unbeaten and the opposition hasn't got near us during these first 4 games. In fact, you could probably add up the amount of saves Howard (and Robles) have made on one hand.[/QUOTE]

Ive just counted up the saves on one hand. Its 9!;)

If you haven't got patience, perhaps Everton aren't the best team for you to be following right now. This is going to take time to perfect but we're unbeaten and the opposition hasn't got near us during these first 4 games. In fact, you could probably add up the amount of saves Howard (and Robles) have made on one hand.[/QUOTE]

Are you from Neston, mate?

Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.