The Gana/Gomes partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're asking is why can't we sell worse players for better players for the same price

If we sell Gana, then we not only need to replace him, but we will need to upgrade him as well. Assuming we can agree Gana needs to be upgraded, can't we all agree he'd be more useful as cover for our starting CM and DM, at least more useful than what we currently have?

I think the better, more realistic play is to get anything at all for Schneiderlin. Let's say that's 10 million. Then we can use that to offset a Gomes purchase

We just aren't going to get enough for Gana to make it worth it. He's already in the side and has a rapport with who's actually playing for us - we won't need to take a chance on an unknown.

Getting Gomes in (or frankly someone of that skill set) is WAY more important than signing a new upgrade at DM in my opinion. Gomes is completely changing how we are able to play

Of course signing Gomes is key. I think everyone agrees with that.

I think if we kept Gana as cover/rotation then that would be ideal.

Im not sure how we would be able to get enough funds together for a top upgrade if we kept him as well though?

We need 4 players in those 2 positions. Gomes has to be 1, im not sure who the others would be...

I don't particularly rate Gana, but there's a time and place for him.

Even with an upgrade to come in and start alongside Gomes (who simply must be bought), I'd certainly rather keep Gana as back up for as long as the only other options remain so limited.

A lot of our fans have about a 2 game judgement period for every player it seems. If they put two good back to back performances in they're great, if they put in two back to back poor ones, they are terrible and need selling and to be upgraded.

Gana is going nowhere because he is a very good player, is easily at the standard of our current level (6th/7th) and we have several positions that need improving before we address that one.

I think we need 4 central midfielders ideally all 4 would be top quality like Gomes and Gueye but you've got to be realistic and the 4th choice is not going to get as many games so if they are top class will not be happy. Being able to play both roles also is better as it means system doesn't change too much when rotation happens. That is why I would like to see what Williams can do as he appears the most adaptable of our young midfielders and would probably be happy at being 4th choice.

Agree with the sentiment, there is no discussion around Gomes, he is a must, However, regarding Gana, his offensive play and passing well below what is required, costly at times when you look at phase of play...

...neither Gueye or Gomes will ever provide goals. That in itself isn’t a disaster, the Reid/Bracewell partnership was not prolific but goals were aplenty in the mid-80s, Sheedy, Steven, Heath, Sharp, Gray and Mountfield were capable of hitting double figures.

The problem with this team is we are largely reliant on just two players for goals. If we accommodate a Gueye/Gomes partnership we will struggle if others don’t chip in with their quota.

...neither Gueye or Gomes will ever provide goals. That in itself isn’t a disaster, the Reid/Bracewell partnership was not prolific but goals were aplenty in the mid-80s, Sheedy, Steven, Heath, Sharp, Gray and Mountfield were capable of hitting double figures.

The problem with this team is we are largely reliant on just two players for goals. If we accommodate a Gueye/Gomes partnership we will struggle if others don’t chip in with their quota.[/QUOT

In a nutshell all we needed to understand and the reason we have the let downs like the past three fixtures. A target man is essential for them to flourish. Until that time it will be difficult for us.

In a nutshell all we needed to understand and the reason we have the let downs like the past three fixtures. A target man is essential for them to flourish. Until that time it will be difficult for us.

...well, there’s more than one way to skin a cat but certainly a top drawer CF. The ‘85 side is often a good blue print for reference, but the point I was making is that we need more players to chip in with goals outside the Gueye/Gomes axis.

...well, there’s more than one way to skin a cat but certainly a top drawer CF. The ‘85 side is often a good blue print for reference, but the point I was making is that we need more players to chip in with goals outside the Gueye/Gomes axis.
Exactly right. Besides Siggy when he is on and Richarlison it gets thin after that. Bernard and Walcott just don't seem to have it in their locker at the moment. I hope Digne starts to take more free kicks from Siggy.

Add either Ndombele or Rabiot into the mix and we have the best midfield 3 in the league.

Ndombele for sale in january and Rabiot is a free in summer.

Brands tells them the project they will be impressed.

The lad has a couple of poor matches and people want him gone. Confused over here.

Up until the past couple of matches Gana has been our best player in the way of consistency. He’s pocketed a couple of decent players for a full 90 minutes. He was never going to be a goal scoring midfielder in my eyes but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a value. We don’t buy a defender for the sole purpose of scoring goals.

Should we bring in another number 8? Sure, but I don’t know that currently we will attract a better player than Gana. Brands will have to work his magic to uncover some gold in France, or elsewhere in Europe.

Gana is needed. We cannot win the ball back in the middle of the field without him. I understand when playing the Newcastles of the world that it would be good to have more options. Mix in an Ndombele or Doucoure and it would help. But not at the expense of a CF. I also think RB is now a bigger problem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.