The Gana/Gomes partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say given. I believe Brands has the largest say in transfers but not for one minute do I believe Silva has no say. A good old conflab then an agreement has to be the way it is done with important input from Silva. Didn't Silva have chats with Mina and Gomes to persuade them to choose us? and I am sure Silva told Brands that he wants Richarlison.

Yeh, this is not Brands team. Him and Silva will have discussed at length who they want and the style of play their players need to accomodate. It is madness to think the Marcel just buys players and Silva has to work with them. Both are equally involved here.

Absolutely no chance gomes will be here next season. A big fish will be in for him, United no doubt sniffing round him as a matric upgrade...

That's IF barca don't want to keep him

Enjoy him while we got him

He had a nightmare at Barca. If he is still enjoying his football here in May then he may just want to stay. Better the devil you know and all that.

Not really too sure where to put this but this seemed as good as any. At the minute this is our best partneship in the 'pivot' as Jose Mourinho calls it. The other options we have are Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. We also have Besic, Williams and Connolly out on loan.

My personal prefrence would be try and sign Gomes permanently in the window and keep these 2 as our '1st' choice midfield until the end of the season. I would move Schneiderlin on in the window hopefully in a permanent but failing that a loan where he can put himself in the shop window. I would keep McCarthy as cover for Gueye. McCarthy would be made available in the summer as we need someone slightly less injury prone and more forward thinking who could genuinely compete with both Gomes and Gueye.

My next move won't happen but its what I would do. I would exercise the recall clause in Williams contract he has played regularly so far for Bolton what we need to know now is can he cut it at Premier League level. Also of all our younger midfielders he is least pigeon holed as he can play as either a '6' or an '8'. We could put him on the bench in place of Davies and I think the quality doesn't really change. If he does the business it saves us buying a 4th choice cover midfielder. If he is poor we know at 22 its probably time to move him on and get what fee we can.

Davies and Baningime I would loan out. They both need games and i think they are passed playing for the u23s. Somewhere like Rangers would be ideal for Davies as he would play for a team that is on the ball a lot and he would improve his decision making. The standard is reasonable so he would not struggle to get in the team so we wont find him sat on the bench. Baningime I would offer to Bolton as a direct replacement for Williams if they didnt want him I would hope a Championship team would be interested. He needs that level as he is decent in the tackle but needs to improve his passing.

Besic and Connolly I would leave as they are and hopefully Middlesborough will buy Besic. Connolly may get more game time at Wigan and either be good enough to be a back up here or if not create interest to get maybe a Championship team to buy him.

Not really too sure where to put this but this seemed as good as any. At the minute this is our best partneship in the 'pivot' as Jose Mourinho calls it. The other options we have are Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. We also have Besic, Williams and Connolly out on loan.

My personal prefrence would be try and sign Gomes permanently in the window and keep these 2 as our '1st' choice midfield until the end of the season. I would move Schneiderlin on in the window hopefully in a permanent but failing that a loan where he can put himself in the shop window. I would keep McCarthy as cover for Gueye. McCarthy would be made available in the summer as we need someone slightly less injury prone and more forward thinking who could genuinely compete with both Gomes and Gueye.

My next move won't happen but its what I would do. I would exercise the recall clause in Williams contract he has played regularly so far for Bolton what we need to know now is can he cut it at Premier League level. Also of all our younger midfielders he is least pigeon holed as he can play as either a '6' or an '8'. We could put him on the bench in place of Davies and I think the quality doesn't really change. If he does the business it saves us buying a 4th choice cover midfielder. If he is poor we know at 22 its probably time to move him on and get what fee we can.

Davies and Baningime I would loan out. They both need games and i think they are passed playing for the u23s. Somewhere like Rangers would be ideal for Davies as he would play for a team that is on the ball a lot and he would improve his decision making. The standard is reasonable so he would not struggle to get in the team so we wont find him sat on the bench. Baningime I would offer to Bolton as a direct replacement for Williams if they didnt want him I would hope a Championship team would be interested. He needs that level as he is decent in the tackle but needs to improve his passing.

Besic and Connolly I would leave as they are and hopefully Middlesborough will buy Besic. Connolly may get more game time at Wigan and either be good enough to be a back up here or if not create interest to get maybe a Championship team to buy him.

Personally, i'd have no problem moving on all of the midfield players for fees other than perhaps Davies and Baningime on loan.

You can see the gulf in quality of those players with Gomes (who must be signed) so surely to sign another player at that level and play them together would be an improvement...

Personally, i'd have no problem moving on all of the midfield players for fees other than perhaps Davies and Baningime on loan.

You can see the gulf in quality of those players with Gomes (who must be signed) so surely to sign another player at that level and play them together would be an improvement...

We definitely need to keep Gomes at all costs. Gueye I would also keep and we need to buy someone who can play alongside either of these. What we need to know is can Williams be an adequate 4th choice or do we also need to buy a 4th choice as I think Davies and Baningime aren't ready yet but are a little younger so more time on their side.

He had a nightmare at Barca. If he is still enjoying his football here in May then he may just want to stay. Better the devil you know and all that.
Doubt very much he'd go back there and chance the crowd turning on him like last time.

I think a lot of people are a bit naive to this and the level of just how much Gomes suffered from mental health problems over that 1-2 year period.

On that basis, the gaffa had mentioned not pressuring him too much and to just allow him to get back to loving the game that he lost the love for at Barcelona.

He absolutely could be persuaded to stay - after all, the Brands/Silva partnership could be quite persuading I'm sure.

Add to that a potential 6th-7th finish - and that we could definitely afford his high wages with our financial backing, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he'll stay.

The problem is if he's injured - because then we have to start relying on players who quite honestly can't get the job done.

We definitely need to keep Gomes at all costs. Gueye I would also keep and we need to buy someone who can play alongside either of these. What we need to know is can Williams be an adequate 4th choice or do we also need to buy a 4th choice as I think Davies and Baningime aren't ready yet but are a little younger so more time on their side.

Gomes is a must sign

Id sell Gana if it was possible to get around £30mil for him...Williams, Davies and Baningime will be loaned or sold in the next 18months i think.

Weve had a focus on the left side of the team with Zouma,Digne, Bernard and Richarlison so perhaps now we'll see a focus on the centre and right.

Gomes is a must sign

Id sell Gana if it was possible to get around £30mil for him...Williams, Davies and Baningime will be loaned or sold in the next 18months i think.

Weve had a focus on the left side of the team with Zouma,Digne, Bernard and Richarlison so perhaps now we'll see a focus on the centre and right.

I dont want to sell Gueye as he would need replacing so we would effectively have to buy 3 including Gomes or 4 if Williams isn't good enough to be 4th choice. Gueye is limited on the ball but his defensive side is 9.5 out of 10. He is the right age that when Baningime has another couple of seasons under his belt if he continues to improve he can then take over. In 2 years we could still get a fee for Gueye. I think selling Gueye and replacing him is just another new player to bed in when Gueye already is.

Gomes is a must sign

There is a zero % chance someone would pay 30 million for Gana.

Since we won't get that kind of money for him, let's just keep him throughout his contract. He's a very solid player and it was good business to buy him at what we paid. Sometimes that's good business in itself - you don't always need to sell players to make back their fee.

I dont want to sell Gueye as he would need replacing so we would effectively have to buy 3 including Gomes or 4 if Williams isn't good enough to be 4th choice. Gueye is limited on the ball but his defensive side is 9.5 out of 10. He is the right age that when Baningime has another couple of seasons under his belt if he continues to improve he can then take over. In 2 years we could still get a fee for Gueye. I think selling Gueye and replacing him is just another new player to bed in when Gueye already is.
There is a zero % chance someone would pay 30 million for Gana.

Since we won't get that kind of money for him, let's just keep him throughout his contract. He's a very solid player and it was good business to buy him at what we paid. Sometimes that's good business in itself - you don't always need to sell players to make back their fee.

I think for the DM and CM positions we need to somewhat overhaul the players.

Williams
Connolly
Besic
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Gana
Baningime
Davies

Compare those 8 players to the quality of Gomes or Torreira at Arsenal (as an example).

If we had signed Gomes and Torreira for £30mil + £25mil then we would have a title challenging centre.

This is an area we really need to look at and, admittedly we would need to sign Gomes + have 3 others there...

The questions really are;

1 -- Can we bring in top class quality like Gomes and Torreira (i think we can)

2 -- Can we sell the current players for decent amounts (why not)

3 -- Are any of the current players worth keeping

Davies and Baningime may be best on loan. If we are going to sell Gana then the best time is in summer or Jan as he will be 30 soon and his value will drop.

The difference in having a top centre midfield was seen with the signing of Gomes and he needs an equal level partner in the centre.

Williams
Connolly
Besic
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Gana
Baningime
Davies

Compare those 8 players to the quality of Gomes or Torreira at Arsenal (as an example).

If we had signed Gomes and Torreira for £30mil + £25mil then we would have a title challenging centre.

This is an area we really need to look at and, admittedly we would need to sign Gomes + have 3 others there...

Davies and Baningime may be best on loan. If we are going to sell Gana then the best time is in summer or Jan as he will be 30 soon and his value will drop.

The difference in having a top centre midfield was seen with the signing of Gomes and he needs an equal level partner in the centre.

For Europe next year (if we qualify) we can only name 25 players over 21 and 4 have to be club trained. Davies and Baningime will still be young enough to not need named but currently of the players we have only 5 fall into club trained that we are likely to consider keeping Kenny, Robinson, Connolly, Williams and Dowell. Nobody else can be used in these spaces so we might as well have them around the squad.

Williams
Connolly
Besic
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Gana
Baningime
Davies

So what you're asking is why can't we sell worse players for better players for the same price

If we sell Gana, then we not only need to replace him, but we will need to upgrade him as well. Assuming we can agree Gana needs to be upgraded, can't we all agree he'd be more useful as cover for our starting CM and DM, at least more useful than what we currently have?

I think the better, more realistic play is to get anything at all for Schneiderlin. Let's say that's 10 million. Then we can use that to offset a Gomes purchase

We just aren't going to get enough for Gana to make it worth it. He's already in the side and has a rapport with who's actually playing for us - we won't need to take a chance on an unknown.

Getting Gomes in (or frankly someone of that skill set) is WAY more important than signing a new upgrade at DM in my opinion. Gomes is completely changing how we are able to play

Status
Not open for further replies.