Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. The value of a meal and that of a player can have many objective elements. It's just that if someone says Pizza Express is good or Petrus is awful, especially for,the money, I'd like them to explain why. Same with players.
And people are, in the main.

I think Sigurdsson is overpriced as I don't believe he is an 'elite level' player who will take us to the next level, or that he will have any resale value, or that he solves our most glaring weaknesses in attack (lack of pace/ability to commit players, and lack of vision) or that his main strengths (crossing/set pieces) are particularly compatible with the players currently at our disposal. I think that the money spent on him could be better used on other players.

Yes, you're basically making my point for me.

The value of a footballer, like the value of a meal, is entirely subjective. The 2 clubs involved may agree that a player has a specific value, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree, nor does it mean that the valuation they have agreed on accurately reflects the player's ability. Gana is 'worth' a lot more than the £7m we paid for him without really having improved - his club had undervalued him. Niasse is worth a lot less than we paid for him - both Everton and his previous club had overvalued him.

By your logic, anyone saying at the time that Gana was a bargain or Niasse was a waste would have been wrong, when hindsight tells us that actually they were right. That's all people are doing here, giving an opinion on whether or not a signing is value for money. I think £50m for Sigurdsson is way too much, but if he goes on to be involved in 100 goals and be part of a side that wins a few trophies then I will be very happy to be wrong.

Although this is technically correct, there still has to be some form of comparison. I agree that £45m for Siggy is a huge amount, but you have to look at other surrounding deals. Drinkwater being mooted at £40m, Neymar at £200m, Pogba (last season) at £90m, Clucas for £16m. Teams in the Championship are paying £15m for players now FGS.

Football, like a meal is of course subjective, but if your mate paid £300 for his meal it's not a fair comparison to say "you got ripped off because I got a KFC box meal for £5.99, and Hobo Jim eats out of the bins for free".

Morning AndyC, I apologise for venting my frustrations that when I come on here to spend a few minutes reading the latest rumours and news from my fellow blue companions that I find the whole thread is off topic yet again.

Maybe in your role as a mod you could remind others who went off topic way before me that this is for Everton transfer news.

This is a fantastic site and I genuinely believe its well run by the mods, however, I do think certain individuals spoil I for others and they seem to go unchecked.

Sorry for being off topic again, just thought my view should be known in a thread which has been derailed already.

And thanks @Eggs for the morning update.

No worries mate, the amount of off-topic posting is a nuisance and the Mod Team is well aware of it !!

Whether people agree with him or not, most of the time he puts a case forward or tries to explain, whereas a lot of people on these forums don't have the intelligence to argue a point and just put out the next 'in' phrase like bedwetter or something similiar.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me on stuff, but put a case forward. This is where I have at least have time for Davek, I don't see him insult people much.
People making a case and discussion is exactly how it should be. Lots of people on here make arguments for signing players etc and get shot down for one reason or another. The difference is, most people are prepared to move their position when faced with other opinions or facts which is why is can be enjoyable. There is no benefit to putting a contrary opinion forward if 1. It isn't based in reality, and 2. You just completely move the goalposts once your opinion has been firmly debunked.

People making a case and discussion is exactly how it should be. Lots of people on here make arguments for signing players etc and get shot down for one reason or another. The difference is, most people are prepared to move their position when faced with other opinions or facts which is why is can be enjoyable. There is no benefit to putting a contrary opinion forward if 1. It isn't based in reality, and 2. You just completely move the goalposts once your opinion has been firmly debunked.

in one!

And people are, in the main.

I think Sigurdsson is overpriced as I don't believe he is an 'elite level' player who will take us to the next level, or that he will have any resale value, or that he solves our most glaring weaknesses in attack (lack of pace/ability to commit players, and lack of vision) or that his main strengths (crossing/set pieces) are particularly compatible with the players currently at our disposal. I think that the money spent on him could be better used on other players.
He isn't an 'elite level' player by any means. Elite level players now cost north of £70m, pretty much as standard and at the moment, we can't attract them. Sigurdsson will improve us though, so although I think he was expensive, I'm hoping he will justify the fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.