Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A suggestion about anyone being wound up about Davek. Tell him to watch the last Liverpool-Everton game under Martinez. And to keep watching it until he's learnt from it.

Any talk of players being 'too expensive' is redundant and simply demonstrating a lack of understanding of capitalism. People like @AdaBrummieblue get it spot on.
There's no objective 'formula' for calculating a player's transfer fee, simply what buyers and sellers will agree on.[/QUOTE]Of course, I think everybody understands that. It doesn't mean that you can't think the price they agreed on was too high though, does it?

A mate of mine recently visited a restaurant near where I used to live in London. He was happy to go there, but in my opinion it's very overpriced for what it is, and better value is available elsewhere. Same principle here.

He doesn't though - he's always talking about Everton (in the Everton forum), in this thread he is talking about transfers and money he perceives to have been wasted, and in the Koeman thread he takes a dim view of the activities of ... er... Koeman.

He's simply too good at arguing for the people trying to contradict him.

Anyway, on to transfers - centre forward needs to be an established Premier League goalscorer so Benteke, Giroud or Vardy (puke) the only viable options.
Not totally correct.
When he is caught out and is clearly wrong( which is most of the time) he simply moves on and doesn't respond.
That is not good at arguing that is simply dodging the question.

It bothers some but at this stage I simply pass over about 90% of anything posted by Dave and have a peek at the odd post to see if anything is worth looking at.

I actually had far more time for Dave as a poster previously when I believed he had strongly held opinions(different to my, but that as RK would say, is football) now I think he is a wum and when talking matters Everton I have no interest in the opinions of somebody stirring the pot simply for the sake of it.

Nah. £40M is not the new going rate for any player from a relegation threatened PL club.
Sigurdsson is a Premier League proven player who was the difference between Swansea going down and staying up last season.

How much is the Premier League worth to Swansea? I'm guessing more than the £45m we just paid out.

A suggestion about anyone being wound up about Davek. Tell him to watch the last Liverpool-Everton game under Martinez. And to keep watching it until he's learnt from it.

Any talk of players being 'too expensive' is redundant and simply demonstrating a lack of understanding of capitalism. People like @AdaBrummieblue get it spot on.
There's no objective 'formula' for calculating a player's transfer fee, simply what buyers and sellers will agree on.

Yeah that was the only time we failed to turn up against that lot.

Its been like that for years! It still is. Our performances against them last season were garbage too.

A meal can be a mix of technical elements and an emotional experience though, so calculating 'value' can be difficult. The world's best meal is unlikely to be value for money if you have a massive argument with your other half. There are objective elements that can be used but it's not the whole story.

The business of football and transfer values involve sums far beyond normal experience. However for someone to say (for example) 'Sigurdsson is only worth £20m' I'd ask what the rationale is for that? Compared to what? Some other bloke who nominally plays in the same position but actually has a different set of advantages and disadvantages? OK, then list them so people can discuss them and learn from them.
That's not what happens though. It's 'he's not worth £x' and there's a different subtext to the argument.

I'd never say someone is too much, because I've no detailed idea (just some vague sense) about the level of analysis being done by Everton and other clubs.

That said, a great goalkeeper is worth their weight in gold

Yeah that was the only time we failed to turn up against that lot.

Its been like that for years! It still is. Our performances against them last season were garbage too.

Not even close. 37 shots they had that night, the most appalling Everton 'performance' in years.

You know it's bad when the Directors bail with 10 minutes left. It was shambolic and a complete embarrassment to the club.

Is that a real post? What about the other 4-0, and the 0-0 at Goodison when we weren't interested in getting out of our own half?

Yes its a real post.

Martinez being crap against them lot doesnt negate the fact that we have been awful and rolled over and died for them every single year for as long as some people on here have been alive.

What about the Gerrard hat trick game? That horrendous effort at Goodison where Cisse and Crouch took the mick out of us etc etc?

Our performances against them have been unacceptable to the point of embarrassment for about 20 years. Lets not pretend it didnt happen beforehand (or indeed still is happening) because it did.

Not even close. 37 shots they had that night, the most appalling Everton 'performance' in years.

You know it's bad when the Directors bail with 10 minutes left. It was shambolic and a complete embarrassment to the club.

I didn't once say it wasn't.

We have rolled over and died against a bog average Liverpool side for many many years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.