Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although this is technically correct, there still has to be some form of comparison. I agree that £45m for Siggy is a huge amount, but you have to look at other surrounding deals. Drinkwater being mooted at £40m, Neymar at £200m, Pogba (last season) at £90m, Clucas for £16m. Teams in the Championship are paying £15m for players now FGS.

Football, like a meal is of course subjective, but if your mate paid £300 for his meal it's not a fair comparison to say "you got ripped off because I got a KFC box meal for £5.99, and Hobo Jim eats out of the bins for free".
Of course, but we're talking about extremes here.

In the example I used of a meal, I meant that I know the area well and there are other establishments of the same type that are - in my opinion - better. I didn't say the other places were cheaper, I said better value. £45m isn't necessarily too much for any player just as £300 isn't too much for any meal, I'm talking about whether it's worth it for what you get.

The fact that some players have been sold for vast amounts does not mean that there's no value in the market, and that's what's consistently being missed here. People say Sandro will be a great signing but he only cost £5m. I've already used the example of Gueye as another player who is performing way above the level you would expect of a £7m player. To say that you have to accept paying huge fees simply because other clubs are willing to be ripped off is a fallacy.

Draxler available for £35m, according to talkSport.

Probably end up replacing Coutinho at Liverpool, like.

I'd be looking at Jovetic if I were Koeman.

This is why it would be criminal not to get a striker we are actually close to being a very good unit

This is why I would completely over pay for someone quality... or pay for someone like vardy Etc with no sell on value... because if we don't get someone in... the 140m we spent already is going to be wasted somewhat... I don't care if who we sign is a stop gap... I want to play well THIS SEASON

Of course, but we're talking about extremes here.

In the example I used of a meal, I meant that I know the area well and there are other establishments of the same type that are - in my opinion - better. I didn't say the other places were cheaper, I said better value. £45m isn't necessarily too much for any player just as £300 isn't too much for any meal, I'm talking about whether it's worth it for what you get.

The fact that some players have been sold for vast amounts does not mean that there's no value in the market, and that's what's consistently being missed here. People say Sandro will be a great signing but he only cost £5m. I've already used the example of Gueye as another player who is performing way above the level you would expect of a £7m player. To say that you have to accept paying huge fees simply because other clubs are willing to be ripped off is a fallacy.

I agree with that, and I think a mix is important. The problem is that unless you are buying someone who is proven in the league there is always a risk, which is why players who are proven in the top divisions come with a premium. We have spent years as a club looking for bargains, with a relative degree of "success" and I hope we continue to do so, but at the moment I'm happy to see the manager being backed and signing the players he wants, even if we are paying over the odds here and there. If we tried to fill the team with "value" players it just wouldn't work.

I wouldn't compare him with Sigurdsson. I'm saying that the cash wasted on Sigurdsson (£15M overspend) could have been diverted along with whatever is left now (probably two more sales) to buy a striker of Gabbiadini's ilk who can really find the net with good service and snap up a chance from nothing...something we dont have in this team right now.

We did try to sign him but his club rejected our bid.. our bid that was bigger than the eventual fee he went for 6 months later

I think if it gets to £40M for a player like Sigurdsson you walk away...quickly. Let the selling club think about it and see the painful truth (for them) that no one else is coming in for Sigurdsson for £40M either and let them stew in their own piss before begging you to come back and give them £35M.

Leicester bid 40m for him... so talking crap AGAIN!

So kindly do us all a favour and stop banging on about it and taking the thread OFF TOPIC yet again !!

Yes of course that's your call you are the mod. I am sure you are aware of I was not the only one but you're absolutely right about staying on topic.

I don't mind Slimani he's not as bad as some made out. Rather spend it on a striker who does not need time adjusting to the English game.

Why isn't Rooney classed as a 'striker'?

He's scored both of our league goals so far...

We're targeting a striker. We all know who the first choice is. The fact we don't seem to be panicking over it indicates to me that player may well still be an option.

And, you're ignoring that we've spent money on players who should provide at least 10 goals and more assists each in Rooney and Sigurdsson, throw in Klaassen, Sandro, DCL etc.

We definitely need another striker, but I don't think it's any surprise it's going down to the wire.

If Rooney is a striker then why does he sit on the half way line?

It's all well and good saying this player should be providing 10 goals and this one etc the point is doesn't mean they will. Which is why you have a striker to do that and when you sell for potentially 90 million you would expect one to come in for biggish money in return. Sandro is a prospect not a main striker and Rooney sits far too deep to be considered one.

??? They don't even play the same position for us.

Sandro is clearly here to play off our main striker not up front on his own.

Chill

Ok, so if we don't get a striker deal over the line then sandro is the main striker along side lewen. Does it matter that they aren't the same as lukaku? If sandro plays off the striker and Rooney sits further back as shown so far, who is the striker that they are all playing off?

Contrary to popular opinion, you simply can't just go out and buy who you like, when you like.

Unless you're Man City maybe...

When we look back now the business we have done very early in the window was excellent. And the prices we paid are also bearing up very well. But at this stage of the window absolutely nothing will happen. We're now into the final phase chess game - deadline day mania.

So we just have to sit and be patient lids, and hope Ronnie and Bill have got this...

The thing is mate, I agree our business has been excellent so far. But if we had a striker in mind then we would have already gone in for him. We don't have a clue who we are signing or haven't until now , so going 5o deadline day runs the risk of a poor panic buy or better yet, no-one at all coming in.

Who out there that is good enough would you get though? I dont want a crappy effort like Silimani, or Jiminez just becasue we couldnt get the likes of Giroud or Benteke though.
Even if its a stop gap loan for a year, it would not be ideal but it would be better than panic buying.
i have a feeling Wenger has played us a little, he is known to do that to his rivals! Probably let us know Giroud would become availible but then all of a sudden change his mind, and now we are scrambling round for other options, it weakens us.

I've said it last night Wagner from hoffenheim would be great to bring in. Everything we could want from a centre forward and no champions league for him increases our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.