Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes its a real post.

Martinez being crap against them lot doesnt negate the fact that we have been awful and rolled over and died for them every single year for as long as some people on here have been alive.

What about the Gerrard hat trick game? That horrendous effort at Goodison where Cisse and Crouch took the mick out of us etc etc?

Our performances against them have been unacceptable to the point of embarrassment for about 20 years. Lets not pretend it didnt happen beforehand (or indeed still is happening) because it did.

I know we have, it's ingrained in the club to bottle it in derby games. However, you said that game was the "only time we failed to turn up" against them under Martinez, implying that we turned up in all the others.

A meal can be a mix of technical elements and an emotional experience though, so calculating 'value' can be difficult. The world's best meal is unlikely to be value for money if you have a massive argument with your other half. There are objective elements that can be used but it's not the whole story.

The business of football and transfer values involve sums far beyond normal experience. However for someone to say (for example) 'Sigurdsson is only worth £20m' I'd ask what the rationale is for that? Compared to what? Some other bloke who nominally plays in the same position but actually has a different set of advantages and disadvantages? OK, then list them so people can discuss them and learn from them.
That's not what happens though. It's 'he's not worth £x' and there's a different subtext to the argument.

I'd never say someone is too much, because I've no detailed idea (just some vague sense) about the level of analysis being done by Everton and other clubs.

That said, a great goalkeeper is worth their weight in gold
Yes, you're basically making my point for me.

The value of a footballer, like the value of a meal, is entirely subjective. The 2 clubs involved may agree that a player has a specific value, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree, nor does it mean that the valuation they have agreed on accurately reflects the player's ability. Gana is 'worth' a lot more than the £7m we paid for him without really having improved - his club had undervalued him. Niasse is worth a lot less than we paid for him - both Everton and his previous club had overvalued him.

By your logic, anyone saying at the time that Gana was a bargain or Niasse was a waste would have been wrong, when hindsight tells us that actually they were right. That's all people are doing here, giving an opinion on whether or not a signing is value for money. I think £50m for Sigurdsson is way too much, but if he goes on to be involved in 100 goals and be part of a side that wins a few trophies then I will be very happy to be wrong.

Rumours about Chelsea bidding for Vardy. I think it could affect us greatly as if Vardy goes there, Leicester won't sell Slimani. This, however, would most certainly make Batchuayi available.

I know we have, it's ingrained in the club to bottle it in derby games. However, you said that game was the "only time we failed to turn up" against them under Martinez, implying that we turned up in all the others.

I didn't say that though! You have added the under Martinez bit in that I didn't say!

You have read that wrong. Which is fair enough as I had to go back and check that myself when you mentioned it!

I think your original post should read "wasn't", hence the replies...

Yeah it was being sarcastic but even then I don't know where the under Martinez bit came from!

This and us having a great defence under Moyes is always two things that will get me into angry poster mode...

Yes, you're basically making my point for me.

The value of a footballer, like the value of a meal, is entirely subjective. The 2 clubs involved may agree that a player has a specific value, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree, nor does it mean that the valuation they have agreed on accurately reflects the player's ability. Gana is 'worth' a lot more than the £7m we paid for him without really having improved - his club had undervalued him. Niasse is worth a lot less than we paid for him - both Everton and his previous club had overvalued him.

By your logic, anyone saying at the time that Gana was a bargain or Niasse was a waste would have been wrong, when hindsight tells us that actually they were right. That's all people are doing here, giving an opinion on whether or not a signing is value for money. I think £50m for Sigurdsson is way too much, but if he goes on to be involved in 100 goals and be part of a side that wins a few trophies then I will be very happy to be wrong.

Not quite. The value of a meal and that of a player can have many objective elements. It's just that if someone says Pizza Express is good or Petrus is awful, especially for,the money, I'd like them to explain why. Same with players.

Not totally correct.
When he is caught out and is clearly wrong( which is most of the time) he simply moves on and doesn't respond.
That is not good at arguing that is simply dodging the question.

It bothers some but at this stage I simply pass over about 90% of anything posted by Dave and have a peek at the odd post to see if anything is worth looking at.

I actually had far more time for Dave as a poster previously when I believed he had strongly held opinions(different to my, but that as RK would say, is football) now I think he is a wum and when talking matters Everton I have no interest in the opinions of somebody stirring the pot simply for the sake of it.

Whether people agree with him or not, most of the time he puts a case forward or tries to explain, whereas a lot of people on these forums don't have the intelligence to argue a point and just put out the next 'in' phrase like bedwetter or something similiar.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me on stuff, but put a case forward. This is where I have at least have time for Davek, I don't see him insult people much.

Dave moaned about Moshiri and questioned about net spend. Then he moaned about the gross spend when he slated Koeman for wasting money and must get top 4 while totally ignore our desire to rebuild a bottom half squad left over by El Fraudo.

So I asked him about his opinion, on a few occasions regarding his hero giving £20m to a relegated club for 2 players in 2013. What is that worth in todays market...was that a waste...he denied to answer.

So kindly do us all a favour and stop banging on about it and taking the thread OFF TOPIC yet again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.