Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not rule this out at all.
I think Rooney still has international ambitions. There is probably unfinished business there from previous competitions. If he stays at Utd then his club and international career will disappear very quickly if he continues to sit on the bench.

I think that Rooney still would like the thought of coming back to play for Everton and it certainly could reenergise his career and he is hardly a bad player as it is.

He would be signing for us still aged 31(albeit an old 31) and certainly could have a positive impact for at least a couple of seasons.

It probably all comes down to Rooney and the influence that Stretford still has on him. Stretford would send him to play football on the moon if the price was right, but can he still influence Rooney as he once did ? I don't believe that the money side of the deal is insurmountable if the will is there.
Rooney could play for Everton for two seasons and probably still go to America(much more likely) or China for a final cash windfall if that was what he wanted.

Why do you hate Everton?

Rooney's legs have long gone.
+
He doesn't score any more.
+
He earns more per week than our top 5 players combined.
=
No chance and thank God.

There's a reason Rooney isn't doing the business at 6th place Man Utd. 2 League goals this season? 8 last season... In a Man Utd team.

In my opinion he was always going to peak early, and finish early.

Lukaku > Rooney.
Barkley > Rooney.

People may snarl at the Barkley shout, but I'd rather we developed his game than sidestep it with an aging, past it Rooney.

Where does Rooney fit? Out wide replacing Mirallas/Lookman? The Kone/Valencia comments don't make sense because they sit on the bench if they're lucky. You don't pay those wages/FFP consequence unless they're instantly improving the team.

I'd sooner Everton looked to the next generation. We now have the scouting talent and apparently the means to compete financially.

We've never been able to try and bring in top talent in other leagues who'd jump at the chance to show what they can do in the Prem. Suarez at Ajax, Gabriel Jesus at Palmeiras - even Lukaku at Anderlecht. Those types. Lookman looks a talent eh? The Lookman's of the world...

All that said, Everton will try and bring Rooney in this summer.

Koeman wants him (repeated press conference comments) and Moshiri loves a profile/statement (repeated comments about needing a manager with profile in the game).

Could also be a reason Lukaku/Barkley contracts seem to be prolonged - wage parity/structure. I've no idea like, just speculating/typing as I think.

Rooney. No thanks.

Sooner see up and coming players like Tielmens, Kessie or give some of the next generation a run at the very least.

Davies and Lookman could be potential superstars in a few years.

I don't want old has beens coming in and clogging up the team. I had hoped we were passed that now.

It's far more than talk. There's legitimate interest from our side, has been since the Ferguson game. Only gotten bigger since Koeman took over.

Ross could finally move to his position, next to Davies or Gana - just in front of Morgan. Rooney next to Romelu, or just off, floating as a 'second striker.'

The deal works for everyone and Rooney still has it. Just needs a move to revitalise himself.

I honestly don't think he does and I'd be disappointed if we allocated huge wages on bringing him back.

If it's financially viable I don't see the big deal, at worst who would you rather see on the bench Rooney or Kone?

He still has talent, it's whether the motivation is there to train hard and play even harder. You hope trying to right the wrongs at his boyhood club might just provide that.

I think people underestimate the other benefits such as leadership, sponsorship and the draw of other big name players. They may not subscribe to the view that Rooney is washed up at 31 and once you get the ball rolling hopefully we could bag a couple more off the back of it.

At the end of the day I will leave it to Koeman to judge, if we get him great, if not no big deal.

I'd like Wayne here on a years loan. £3.6m wages and maybe the same as a loan fee.

That way:
We get the profile boost and his experience.
We're not saddled with him if he can't cut it.
United get him off the wage bill.
He gets to fight for his world cup place and then jet off to China for a mega pay day the year after.

I'd like Wayne here on a years loan. £3.6m wages and maybe the same as a loan fee.

That way:
We get the profile boost and his experience.
We're not saddled with him if he can't cut it.
United get him off the wage bill.
He gets to fight for his world cup place and then jet off to China for a mega pay day the year after.

Why is that of our concern?

If we bought Rooney, I am not a big fan of this deal but it wouldn't be the worst thing.

He is better backup then anything we have right now that includes Mirallas, Lookman, Calvan-Lewis.
He would give Rom better support.
He would boost our brand globally.
Shirt sales alone would pay for him.

His best days are behind him.

It's a question of how much he las left to give.

For me it's a no.

I actually think it would make us look smalltime rather than generate positive publicity - "come to Everton when the elite no longer think you're fit for purpose"

We should be aiming higher than that now with younger players whose best days are ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.