Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends what the club want to get from signing Rooney.
If they want press/media attention and that big name signing that puts your name on front and back pages, Rooney would do that and if the club scripted it correctly they could play out the whole "prodigal son returns home" BS like Newcastle did with Shearer. People love that stuff. Signing Rooney would do more for Everton's PR globally in a few days than singing any other player that is realistically available to us. off the pitch that's a very good thing...... BUT If the club bring him back for footballing reasons, sadly it would be a year too late. To catch the 6 teams above us we need players who will improve the SQUAD and whilst I've always been a yes to him coming back - unless it improves us on the pitch, where it matters then it's pointless.
Maybe playing for the team he grew up supporting would get the best out of him again (assuming he actually gives 2 monkeys about us) - there is also a W/C around the corner to keep him motivated but for the money he'd demand, no sell on value it would be a risk

I would not rule this out at all.
I think Rooney still has international ambitions. There is probably unfinished business there from previous competitions. If he stays at Utd then his club and international career will disappear very quickly if he continues to sit on the bench.

I think that Rooney still would like the thought of coming back to play for Everton and it certainly could reenergise his career and he is hardly a bad player as it is.

He would be signing for us still aged 31(albeit an old 31) and certainly could have a positive impact for at least a couple of seasons.

It probably all comes down to Rooney and the influence that Stretford still has on him. Stretford would send him to play football on the moon if the price was right, but can he still influence Rooney as he once did ? I don't believe that the money side of the deal is insurmountable if the will is there.
Rooney could play for Everton for two seasons and probably still go to America(much more likely) or China for a final cash windfall if that was what he wanted.

Didnt Rooney say Everton are the only other club he would play for in England?

I'd like Wayne here on a years loan. £3.6m wages and maybe the same as a loan fee.

That way:
We get the profile boost and his experience.
We're not saddled with him if he can't cut it.
United get him off the wage bill.
He gets to fight for his world cup place and then jet off to China for a mega pay day the year after.
£3.6m wages?? He earns £15m per year mate.

A reason I'm hearing as to why we should sign him is as a 'statement of intent'. Surely it's an even bigger statement of intent to turn our noses up at Rooney, thereby telling the world that he's not good enough to get into our first team, which quite frankly I don't think he is.

If we have the opportunity to sign him and we don't I bet it will be twisted to say it's because we can't afford it, (which may be true) yet more proof we are not with the big boys yet.

A reason I'm hearing as to why we should sign him is as a 'statement of intent'. Surely it's an even bigger statement of intent to turn our noses up at Rooney, thereby telling the world that he's not good enough to get into our first team, which quite frankly I don't think he is.
Only a statement if we say no and get someone bigger. Definitely not better than lukaku at the moment but if Rom leaves i'd take him at a reasonable price/wages

Anyone think a loan or cut price deal (15mill ish) for luke Shaw would be interesting?
The lads worked with Koeman before and is young enough to improve

I'd take him for a decent price (15m) but knowing Jose ... he's want the 30m back and a % sell on fee and buy back Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.