Subbuteo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plastic astro pitches they introduced, improved the game no end. Finding a space to actually play was the hardest thing.
My pitch was a proper old baize one. My mate got a modern plastic pitch which to me seemed horrible. What's worse than its shiny surface was that sprules from the edge of the footballer's base would catch on a bit of the fabric and would just stop dead.

Playing a home match on that abomination was the cheating equivalent of playing at loftus road.

Just found a 5 a side Subbuteo here, so must be a later edition I think. Its called Subbuteo Urban Arena. Lots of accessories including cloth 5 a side pitch ,parts to build an arena,. About 12 players made of a lighter material than I remember. My memory tells me players were pretty tough plastic, these look flimsy. Obviously not as old a the originals. Any date anyone?

Subbuteo was a bit early for me. I had a set but never got in to it. I had a similar game called Pro Action Football where the players were on top of a magnetic/spring loaded base which you had to press down to ‘kick’ the ball. It was ace back in the day.

A8A544C1-9953-44D5-9C7F-C9C45FE611F4.jpeg

I've still got my Subbuteo in the garage complete with around 30 teams, terraces, tournament goals, which had white nets, and lots of other accessories. The teams are in various conditions dependent on how much I played them, they are all in tact, if one broke I generally couldn't sleep until he was repaired. I have got a mint condition Crystal Palace with the Vince Hilaire red and blue sash. Ive also got the Oxford United from when they were in the top flight, my dad also had a habit of getting me strange ones... East Germany, Chile and a pure pink, white, pink Anderlecht before it was popular to wear pink. I also have the Leeds all yellow with white and blue arm stripe. me and my mate would use all the players we wernt using as fans in the terrace to create a swaying crowd the fans you could buy were generally seated , quite often when Leeds were playing there would be pitch invasion if they went one down or lost an important game.

A footy game came out when Subbuteo was at its height.......it called itself the real deal and we all wobbled in anticipation. Then we saw it. The players all had wedges in front of them and you sort of scooped the ball, and one poor lad in our street got it for Christmas.....it was crap. I got Subbuteo Floodlights, ambulance men, corner flags, FA Cup Trophy and a TV gantry on the same day. He was gutted. WTF was it called?:dodgy:
4-2-4

Once my daughter was old enough I bought a set; pasted the fabric pitch onto a piece of board and glued the goals in place. Plus repainted all the figures (home and grey striped away kit); including a tash for Derek Mountfield - she loved a tash on a man did my girl.

Anyone remember Escalardo the horse racing game that useful clamp to your mum's best dining tabke.with the old metal clamp bruising the wood -she enjoyed the game then realised the damage to the tablelol
I had that Joey. A great table top game worked better if you left the tablecloth underneath the track for softer going ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.