Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the players on the pitch that can let fly, we really didn't test the keeper. If teams play this way, you either need to take a chance with a strike or get the ball out wide. They weren't really respecting us from range as they were crowding the box. We played with the ball far too much; sometimes you have to create your own luck. Lookman was the only player really looking to take advantage of the space they gave him and he came somewhat close. These are the games that tend to be won by deflections.

I am satisfied that Koeman has taken a dysfunctional mid table side and propelled it up the table. At present there are 5 teams better than us and yes RS are one of them, your position in the table is the ultimate arbiter of how good you are.
It generally takes a manager the best part of a season to make a team 'his' . As long as the manager is fully backed financially I am looking forward to continued progress. I should also mention that getting back into Europe (hopefully) is also 'satisfying'.

Fair enough, but if your satisfied in finishing above West Brom, Stoke, Soton, Watford etc, etc, your easily satisfied. Before the season started I would have expected us to be 'best of the rest' but in view of how poor 2 or 3 of the teams above us have been, and with us having the Prems top scorer, and a manager of Koemans standing, and of setting a team up to be hard to beat, I maybe would have liked (expected?)us to be a bit better. I'm not happy finishing 7th, which is where we're likely to finish.

Fair enough, but if your satisfied in finishing above West Brom, Stoke, Soton, Watford etc, etc, your easily satisfied. Before the season started I would have expected us to be 'best of the rest' but in view of how poor 2 or 3 of the teams above us have been, and with us having the Prems top scorer, and a manager of Koemans standing, and of setting a team up to be hard to beat, I maybe would have liked (expected?)us to be a bit better. I'm not happy finishing 7th, which is where we're likely to finish.
So you expected a manager to take over a team firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons and turn them into title contenders in his first season. Bloody hell! he's a manager not a magician. I'm intrigued what you expected the previous manager to achieve since he took over a sixth placed side, surely you weren't happy with improving by just one place? :)
Let's see where we are this time next season that's when we can judge him better as our manager.

Ronko is gonna do some serious wrestling moves on anyone who stands in his way. He's on a mission ( a short term one ) to make us great again and in double quick time. He's fuming at that crappery performance today, open the purse strings for Ronald and let's see how far he can take us in the next couple of seasons.

So you expected a manager to take over a team firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons and turn them into title contenders in his first season. Bloody hell! he's a manager not a magician. I'm intrigued what you expected the previous manager to achieve since he took over a sixth placed side, surely you weren't happy with improving by just one place? :)
Let's see where we are this time next season that's when we can judge him better as our manager.

The team that was firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons is pretty much the same side that got us that 5th placed finish, so we know what they are capable of if they're managed correctly. Add Koeman into the equation, with his tactical nous, the top scorer in the Prem, the young talent at his disposal, a more mature Barkley,the success of Gana and Schneids (more recently) I would have expected better.
Who said anything about turning us into title contenders? Not me. Before the season started I would have expected us to finish in the top 6 or 7.............but, the way the season has mapped out, who'd have thought that Arsenal would be so poor? Utd ? With the factors I've mentioned above, I think we should be doing better, certainly should be closer to the top 4 or 5 anyway. Who'd have said the Liverpool would be so many points better than us when comparing the sides. You said you were more satisfied this season than Robertos first. I ask why. We played some really swashbuckling stuff that season but, ultimately, we couldn't defend, but it was a joy, especially after the turgid football of the Moyes era. But you take more satisfaction out of finishing top of the other 13 sides, than actually putting a challenge for the top 4. We'll likely finish 7th, I think that would be disappointing when you look at the team we have, the Prems top scorer, a Manager that's supposed to be able to set a defence up, a strong midfield. The emergence of Davies. We have a better squad than the RS, maybe we don't have as good a Manager.

The team that was firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons is pretty much the same side that got us that 5th placed finish, so we know what they are capable of if they're managed correctly. Add Koeman into the equation, with his tactical nous, the top scorer in the Prem, the young talent at his disposal, a more mature Barkley,the success of Gana and Schneids (more recently) I would have expected better.
Who said anything about turning us into title contenders? Not me. Before the season started I would have expected us to finish in the top 6 or 7.............but, the way the season has mapped out, who'd have thought that Arsenal would be so poor? Utd ? With the factors I've mentioned above, I think we should be doing better, certainly should be closer to the top 4 or 5 anyway. Who'd have said the Liverpool would be so many points better than us when comparing the sides. You said you were more satisfied this season than Robertos first. I ask why. We played some really swashbuckling stuff that season but, ultimately, we couldn't defend, but it was a joy, especially after the turgid football of the Moyes era. But you take more satisfaction out of finishing top of the other 13 sides, than actually putting a challenge for the top 4. We'll likely finish 7th, I think that would be disappointing when you look at the team we have, the Prems top scorer, a Manager that's supposed to be able to set a defence up, a strong midfield. The emergence of Davies. We have a better squad than the RS, maybe we don't have as good a Manager.

Your thought process is interesting. So we should actually be above Arsenal and Manchester United currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.