Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team that was firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons is pretty much the same side that got us that 5th placed finish, so we know what they are capable of if they're managed correctly. Add Koeman into the equation, with his tactical nous, the top scorer in the Prem, the young talent at his disposal, a more mature Barkley,the success of Gana and Schneids (more recently) I would have expected better.
Who said anything about turning us into title contenders? Not me. Before the season started I would have expected us to finish in the top 6 or 7.............but, the way the season has mapped out, who'd have thought that Arsenal would be so poor? Utd ? With the factors I've mentioned above, I think we should be doing better, certainly should be closer to the top 4 or 5 anyway. Who'd have said the Liverpool would be so many points better than us when comparing the sides. You said you were more satisfied this season than Robertos first. I ask why. We played some really swashbuckling stuff that season but, ultimately, we couldn't defend, but it was a joy, especially after the turgid football of the Moyes era. But you take more satisfaction out of finishing top of the other 13 sides, than actually putting a challenge for the top 4. We'll likely finish 7th, I think that would be disappointing when you look at the team we have, the Prems top scorer, a Manager that's supposed to be able to set a defence up, a strong midfield. The emergence of Davies. We have a better squad than the RS, maybe we don't have as good a Manager.
I think the truth is that we have diametrically opposed views here and are unlikely to reconcile them however long this discussion continues. However in answer to your question, Koeman has improved Everton's position relative to our previous league position to a greater degree than the previous manager, therefore this leaves me personally more optimistic going forward since I feel his task was the more difficult of the two.
Ultimately there is no right or wrong here just different views ' vive la difference' or something like that.

The team that was firmly mired in mid table obscurity for two seasons is pretty much the same side that got us that 5th placed finish, so we know what they are capable of if they're managed correctly. Add Koeman into the equation, with his tactical nous, the top scorer in the Prem, the young talent at his disposal, a more mature Barkley,the success of Gana and Schneids (more recently) I would have expected better.
Who said anything about turning us into title contenders? Not me. Before the season started I would have expected us to finish in the top 6 or 7.............but, the way the season has mapped out, who'd have thought that Arsenal would be so poor? Utd ? With the factors I've mentioned above, I think we should be doing better, certainly should be closer to the top 4 or 5 anyway. Who'd have said the Liverpool would be so many points better than us when comparing the sides. You said you were more satisfied this season than Robertos first. I ask why. We played some really swashbuckling stuff that season but, ultimately, we couldn't defend, but it was a joy, especially after the turgid football of the Moyes era. But you take more satisfaction out of finishing top of the other 13 sides, than actually putting a challenge for the top 4. We'll likely finish 7th, I think that would be disappointing when you look at the team we have, the Prems top scorer, a Manager that's supposed to be able to set a defence up, a strong midfield. The emergence of Davies. We have a better squad than the RS, maybe we don't have as good a Manager.

Not this again. You do realise the time of obscurity is twice the length of the holy grail season of yours? It happened three bloody seasons ago. You can't assume nothing had happened in between.

I deem this is madness, absolutely madness to use this 5th place trophy as a stick to beat our current manager. The team was not managed properly and that was what you get under the previous crappy management. Why did you expect better? Bearing in mind that the money/wages this club had spent in comparison with the current top 6.

You answer your own question you expect top 6/7 at the start season. Now that Koeman achieves the initial target, you move the goal post.

Frankly, I much prefer the overall record of Moyes than Martinez because the fraud can hide himself in shame due to his inability to organise a defence. It was a joke.

When was the last time we realistically putting a challenge for top 4? Yes back in 2005. People keep overrating the current squad and assume it is better than RS with no facts to back it up.

Until Koeman is given a fair bit amount of net spend which is close to the level of the current top 6, there is no reason to question his ability in taking this club to the next level. He has already improved this team massively in 10 months. You seem to forget the nightmare we had in the past 2 seasons. Sounds familiar.

Not this again. You do realise the time of obscurity is twice the length of the holy grail season of yours? It happened three bloody seasons ago. You can't assume nothing had happened in between.

I deem this is madness, absolutely madness to use this 5th place trophy as a stick to beat our current manager. The team was not managed properly and that was what you get under the previous crappy management. Why did you expect better? Bearing in mind that the money/wages this club had spent in comparison with the current top 6.

You answer your own question you expect top 6/7 at the start season. Now that Koeman achieves the initial target, you move the goal post.

Frankly, I much prefer the overall record of Moyes than Martinez because the fraud can hide himself in shame due to his inability to organise a defence. It was a joke.

When was the last time we realistically putting a challenge for top 4? Yes back in 2005. People keep overrating the current squad and assume it is better than RS with no facts to back it up.

Until Koeman is given a fair bit amount of net spend which is close to the level of the current top 6, there is no reason to question his ability in taking this club to the next level. He has already improved this team massively in 10 months. You seem to forget the nightmare we had in the past 2 seasons. Sounds familiar.

We challenged top 4 in Martinez's first season it was in our hands with only 5 games remaining of the season i think..

I'm hoping after the summer we'll have the added creative quality to win games like yesterday, and away games in general. He's sorted the home form out which is no mean feat. If we take it up a notch or three on the road we'll have closed the gap on the teams above us.

I personally think that we've done well considering what he inherited last year, non so much in the quality of players at his disposal but the lack of fitness levels that is required to play his system, the changing of players mentality to the new system and the motivation of the players which was obviously at a really low point considering the pathetic state of the team over the previous two seasons. There really is a night and day difference in this campaign compared to the last one.

Yeah lost 2-3 at home.. Gutted!

Hopefully Ronald can get us in the Champions League one day
Yes it was established a long time ago that 2013-14 was a good season and we did as well as any team who don't get top four and don't win a cup can but it was a complete fluke. If Koeman is to be successful here he needs to build something more soild on foundations then 13-14 was.

Plus, the memories of 2013-14 were slightly spoiled by the two years of pure crap that followed.

Yes it was established a long time ago that 2013-14 was a good season and we did as well as any team who don't get top four and don't win a cup can but it was a complete fluke. If Koeman is to be successful here he needs to build something more soild on foundations then 13-14 was.

Plus, the memories of 2013-14 were slightly spoiled by the two years of pure crap that followed.

Sounds like you think im having a go at Ronald which im not?

Sounds like you think im having a go at Ronald which im not?
I don't think your having a go at Koeman mate. ;)

I just don't think 13-14 Was all that impressive taken in context of what followed and we'd need something more solid in foundations this time if Koeman.

Perhaps I've been guilty of getting carried away by some results/performances, perhaps I've believed everything I've read on this very forum about the League being so weak and us being better, or as good as, the RS or Arsenal. Perhaps I missed all the tubthumping in a thread about us maybe finishing in the top 4, then, when it seems we're gonna finish 7th, people seem to be happy with it. Not me moving the goal posts, a lot of other posters on here are guilty of that.

Anyone doubting Koeman because of this result, you may as well follow another team.

Koeman is the right man for the job.

We've lost like 2 league games (I think!) since late December.

Let that sink in before you go all spazzy about a draw in a dodgy performance yesterday.

I dont think anybody has posted anything in reaction to just yesterdays game actually guys.

Quite a pleasing lack of kneejerking, at least in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.