Roberto Vs Ronald

Who was the more betterer of them as Everton manager?

• Koeman

Votes: 56 16.0%
  • Martinez

Votes: 205 58.6%
  • Red Leicester cheese on lovely toasted wholegrain bread

Votes: 89 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They came pretty much in the last 5 months he was here.

In the first two seasons we were pegged back late on only three times: Liverpool in the 3-3 game and Palace twice 2-3.

The final season there was five of them: Bournemouth 3-3; Leicester 2-3; Stoke 3-4; Chelsea 2-2; West Ham 2-3. The Chelsea and Bournemouth draws were appalling officiating going over the time added on by about two minutes each time.

But yeah, row z etc was the right tactic late on.

Another game I will never understand how we contrived not to win was Norwich away in that final season.

We were 1-0 up after an absolutely scintillating performance for 45 minutes in which a 6-0 half time lead would not have flattered us.

Then we conceded from a corner early in t’ second half and I think we we were clinging on for the point at the end :(

That West Ham game.....:mad:

If only Lukaku had slotted that penno how different that season might have been.

Then he does the same thing at Wembley

Bobby and Everton.....we were almost awesome together :pint2:

Martinez season 1 was some of the best football I can remember, one of a few highlights being e.g. us going and having a proper go at The Emirates days after beating Utd at OT.

Not to mention we had I don't know how many chants/songs that season, everybody was buzzing.

People voting Koeman need to leg it, first season with Martinez was boss.

Indeed.

And in the second season we at least had a thrilling European campaign.

Even in the third, there were thrills, spills and two great cup runs to keep us interested over the winter.

I could see Martinez era Everton going the way of Gordon Lee era Everton.

Readily dismissed by most as soon as it was over.....but never forgotten about and always talked about when those whom were around at the time gathered.

The Villa Trilogy, Clive Thomas robbing us, Andy King from 30 yards, long unbeaten runs which saw us sitting top of the table round about New Year two seasons in a row, top three or four finishes, the trip to Finn Harps in Europe when the Donegal club borrowed the seats from the local cinema to comply with UEFA’s seating regulations, Dave Thomas slinging them across for Big Bob :)

And a decade or two later a realisation sets in that you know what, arl Bob weren’t t all that bad, just like Gordon has been rehabilitated in recent years ;)

And BTW......we never had a better repertoire of songs which were lustily sang the length and breadth of Europe when Bobby’s Cavaliers were in their pomp :dance:

Indeed.

And in the second season we at least had a thrilling European campaign.

Even in the third, there were thrills, spills and two great cup runs to keep us interested over the winter.

I could see Martinez era Everton going the way of Gordon Lee era Everton.

Readily dismissed by most as soon as it was over.....but never forgotten about and always talked about when those whom were around at the time gathered.

The Villa Trilogy, Clive Thomas robbing us, Andy King from 30 yards, long unbeaten runs which saw us sitting top of the table round about New Year two seasons in a row, top three or four finishes, the trip to Finn Harps in Europe when the Donegal club borrowed the seats from the local cinema to comply with UEFA’s seating regulations, Dave Thomas slinging them across for Big Bob :)

And a decade or two later a realisation sets in that you know what, arl Bob weren’t t all that bad, just like Gordon has been rehabilitated in recent years ;)

And BTW......we never had a better repertoire of songs which were lustily sang the length and breadth of Europe when Bobby’s Cavaliers were in their pomp :dance:

Yer a sentimental old so 'n so ain't you Khal ;);)

Aye, I was delighted with the first season and happy with the second season (I had dismissed our poor league form as a classic symptom of Europa involvement, wrongly). The third season was cack, let's be honest lol

Aye, I was delighted with the first season and happy with the second season (I had dismissed our poor league form as a classic symptom of Europa involvement, wrongly). The third season was cack, let's be honest lol

It was the opposite of the curate’e egg, Prev.

Yes, it was cack.....but only in parts :dance:

Just looking at it from hidings taken angle:

Martinez hidings taken

2013/14

Liverpool 4-0 Everton

2014/15

Everton 2-6 Chelsea
Southampton 3-0 Everton

2015/16

Liverpool 4-0 Everton
United 3-0 Everton
Sunderland 3-0 Everton

Koeman hidings taken

2016/17

Chelsea 5-0 Everton
Everton 0-3 Chelsea

2017/18

Everton 0-3 Spurs
United 4-0 Everton
Everton 2-5 Arsenal

Obviously there's more to embarrassing performances than high scoring defeats, but Martinez suffered relatively few whilst here - only one more than Koeman who was much less than half as long. God knows how many he'd have run up if he'd been here three seasons.

Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

How many seasons did Koeman underperform? - Less than 3 months.
How many seasons did Martinez underperform? - 2 seasons.

They're both very difficult to compare for the reasons I gave, but the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez.

the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez.

The last few have been exceptionally bad though, haven't they? Martinez had some good cup runs in his bad seasons too, it's not nothing. Koeman's tenure has been very bleh imo, there were far many more good memories from Roberto's, despite it ending in much the same depressing way

Status
Not open for further replies.