Roberto Vs Ronald

Who was the more betterer of them as Everton manager?

• Koeman

Votes: 56 16.0%
  • Martinez

Votes: 205 58.6%
  • Red Leicester cheese on lovely toasted wholegrain bread

Votes: 89 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In much the same way Koeman had an attacking Martinez team and added solidity before he was found out big time in his second season.

I think the argument there was Moyes’s team got 7th and 6th before RM took over, in theory he got a more solid base, while Koeman inherited a proven bottom half team?

Martinez: three seasons here...

Season points total record plus a couple of respectable cup runs minus two midtable finishes = not bad.

Koeman: One and a third seasons here...

Nothing.....

...and spending £200M.

To be fair, he hadn't spent £200m total until he had been here a year, and he did recover a lot of that (nearly £150m from two players).

I think the argument there was Moyes’s team got 7th and 6th before RM took over, in theory he got a more solid base, while Koeman inherited a proven bottom half team?
I can argue with this though.

Martinez was sacked because we were massively underachieving - we certainly were not a proven bottom half team (on paper at least).

In much the same way Koeman had an attacking Martinez team and added solidity before he was found out big time in his second season.

I think we are all agreed, they both had massive flaws, Koemans became more apparent this season.

Now if we had a manager with Martinez's attacking mind and Koeman's structure defensively.................................................................................we would probably still be a load of old poop.

I can argue with this though.

Martinez was sacked because we were massively underachieving - we certainly were not a proven bottom half team (on paper at least).

I believe the patience on Martinez was a lot longer if you compare that with Koeman’s time...maybe due to Bill being the main man until Moshiri became the majority shareholder. I truly believe 7th is now the minimum requirement in the league given Moshiri’s action for pulling the trigger twice when things getting nasty on and off the pitch. That’s show the board is aiming to break the usual top 6 scenario. Nevertheless, both the board, the former manager and the players...a combination of those did not do enough, yet.

And of course we did recoup most money (Lukaku) back but Koeman spent a lot of money on papers in Everton terms but we are in the bottom 3 after 9 games thus the sacking happened. And rightly so.

Results and league positions did show we were a bottom half team between 2014-2016 but I do agree the team, in particular the first 11 at the time, was better on paper.

Tough one for me, i never wanted Martinez and he proved why. Koeman was my first choice, i was wrong. Martinez had a good 1st season and did manage to impose his style on us and it worked to start, albeit with a good solid Moyes team. Koeman didnt do much except make us a bit more solid after Martinez. Then this year happend after the loss of Rom. Martinez edges it for me. Only just though, and maybe as much as i didnt like him, i appreciated he seemed to enjoy thw club and the history and being part of it, Koeman never felt part of us.

Disagree Dave.

For me, ultimately...

How many seasons did Koeman underperform? - Less than 3 months.
How many seasons did Martinez underperform? - 2 seasons.

They're both very difficult to compare for the reasons I gave, but the worst Everton performances in my lifetime in terms of how absolutely spineless they were come under Martinez.
Might not have been a 'hiding' but watching Everton lose 2-0 to Hull which was something like 5 losses on the bounce was very low. The Dynamo Kiev 5-2 for how bad Alcaraz was that day.

Loved the possibilities I thought were there under Martinez, he demonstrated it in the first season, but I think Koeman is a better manager (despite his horrible start to this season).

Status
Not open for further replies.