Right back

Status
Not open for further replies.

It obviously a massive blow that we have lost Coleman. But it's a also a massive opportunity, for Holgate. He's going to play in some really big matches over the next few weeks. The experience he's going to get will be fantastic for him and he'll learn loads.

If we play a back three on Saturday then Holgate will be the RWB. The cb's will be Jags, Williams, Mori.

Then simply mate we will lose, that back 3 cannot play against teams with pace and movement, for a back 3 to work against the better teams it has to include Holgate.

Koeman lines up like you've suggested then it will at best be a re-run of the spurs game and more than likely a re run of the chelsea game

Then simply mate we will lose, that back 3 cannot play against teams with pace and movement, for a back 3 to work against the better teams it has to include Holgate.

Koeman lines up like you've suggested then it will at best be a re-run of the spurs game and more than likely a re run of the chelsea game

All depends who he puts in front of them.

That back three actually only played 30 minutes vs Chelsea before he turfed Oviedo off and switched to a back four with Funes at LB if you actually look back mate.

If that back three has a mobile midfield in front of them (i.e. not Barry) I reckon we could be okay.

Only way I see him going to a back three though and having Holgate in at RCB is if McCarthy is fit enough to play the wing-back role he did vs Spurs (doubtful).

Otherwise I reckon he'll go back four with Holgate at RB or back three with Holgate at RWB, personally...

I agree with you

I'm not thrilled about it but what other options do we really have?

I also agree that if he does play that back line, then he can't also play Barry as well, or we'll be stuffed

This is my point Mikey.

I have no issues with that back three really as we don't have the options atm, due to Coleman's injury and even Macca's.

But what is key is that if he does play that three that we have a mobile midfield in front. Heck, a mobile midfield is what is needed anyway, regardless of formation.

This is my point Mikey.

I have no issues with that back three really as we don't have the options atm, due to Coleman's injury and even Macca's.

But what is key is that if he does play that three that we have a mobile midfield in front. Heck, a mobile midfield is what is needed anyway, regardless of formation.

To me, 3-4-3 with Gana and Davies in the middle of the 4 makes the most sense

Of course my opinion will mean little to European Cup winner Ronald Koeman, but while we're here I might as well give it lol

All depends who he puts in front of them.

That back three actually only played 30 minutes vs Chelsea before he turfed Oviedo off and switched to a back four with Funes at LB if you actually look back mate.

If that back three has a mobile midfield in front of them (i.e. not Barry) I reckon we could be okay.

Only way I see him going to a back three though and having Holgate in at RCB is if McCarthy is fit enough to play the wing-back role he did vs Spurs (doubtful).

Otherwise I reckon he'll go back four with Holgate at RB or back three with Holgate at RWB, personally...

We where already 2-0 down at that point before the sub mate and been carved open numerous times - did the shift on about 35 minutes? and then conceded straight afterwards as the team was all over the shop - 3-0 and game over effectively before half time

Yeah with a more mobile midifeld it'd be better, but that doesn't suddenly make Jagielka and Williams playing together faster, as a 2 against any team with god movement (Liverpool do) and with pace (Liverpool do) then they will sit alarmingly deep or else they will just get badly exposed in the space behind them, we sit really deep then Lukaku is gonna be horribly isolated - see the Derby second half or Spurs first 75 minutes.

We where already 2-0 down at that point before the sub mate and been carved open numerous times - did the shift on about 35 minutes? and then conceded straight afterwards as the team was all over the shop - 3-0 and game over effectively before half time

Yeah with a more mobile midifeld it'd be better, but that doesn't suddenly make Jagielka and Williams playing together faster, as a 2 against any team with god movement (Liverpool do) and with pace (Liverpool do) then they will sit alarmingly deep or else they will just get badly exposed in the space behind them, we sit really deep then Lukaku is gonna be horribly isolated - see the Derby second half or Spurs first 75 minutes.

It's not my preferred option at all pal. I'm hoping he doesn't do it.

Lukaku will get isolated whether we play a three or four regardless if we don't get up and support him.

That's up to the likes of Ross and Kev and Davies etc.

Hopefully Morgan is fit and that means we don't see Barry dragged in.

If we play a back three on Saturday then Holgate will be the RWB. The cb's will be Jags, Williams, Mori.
I think I'm with @bluesteven on this one mate. Even if Schneids is fit, which I think is looking doubtful, I'd still be looking to play 3 at the back against both RS and the Mancs. But I would definitely start with Holgate, Williams and Funes Mori. All three suit the system far better than a back 4 and, with the exception of 45 mins against Stoke when Holgate was targeted by Crouch, have looked very comfortable together. You're not going to get that threat against Liverpool, and I also doubt if Man U will employ it either, though they are a lot more capable of doing so.

I'm not sure who I would play at right wing back. I think Lennon could do a job there but I think it's time to give Jonjoe a run in the team. I'm pretty certain he won't let us down. He's a good defender but also likes to get forward too. His distribution is good but he won't give you that threat that Seamus does, but then again, who else in the premier does?

Status
Not open for further replies.