Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with @davek about burnley - they’ve done well to pick the points up but I feel they have been very fortunate, especially with the two one nils, I don’t know how they got those wins as they were easily second best in both games, and even Watford should have been out of sight.

Credit to them for scrapping away and getting the results, but there have been a real element of luck for me.

Hopefully, it runs out for their last games.
Could say we been lucky with the 1 0's against Newcastle and Man U?

Not like Villa are just going to turn up and lose. They need a win because right now they have Burnley x2 RS and City and 1 more game. So should Villa lose all 4 of them games that means they can get a max of 43 points which could relegate them by 3 points
yea, Burnley/Villa is a huge game. Villa lose and they are only 3 points ahead of Burnley with them to play again. No way Gerrard is not going to have them up for this game.

Could say we been lucky with the 1 0's against Newcastle and Man U?
I’d have said we were the better side in those games, maybe not against Chelsea yesterday - can’t say the same for Burnley, they were second best in all the games from what I’ve seen.

We’ve played well against stronger teams like Chelsea, Man U and even against City and Liverpool we did well up to a point. The ‘easier’ opponents we’ve lost focus and gave away silly goals. Like we should never have lost the Watford and Burnley matches.

Hopefully this last chance saloon right now means they don’t make any mistakes and they’re capable of winning any of these remaining games.
It's been a bit like under Ancelotti lately, where we've conceded midfield and played the percentages well.

Harder to do that when the other team isn't looking to get on the front foot.

Put me down as one who doesn't think Burnley gets 6 from Villa. As many have pointed out, Villa is not so far ahead that they can just not show up and not worry about it. Even given Burnley's run of form, I don't think they get more than 4 from Villa, if even that. If they get nothing from Tottenham as well, then that would put them at 38 going into the Newcastle game on the last day and very much still in the danger zone.

I'm hoping that both Burnley and Leeds have peaked too soon. They've had their runs now, but Burnley's especially has come against really weak opposition, and both they and Leeds have tougher fixtures from here out. Hopefully yesterday is the beginning of our turn to have a good run of form now, and in this case, it's probably better to have that run closer to the end of the season - peaking at just the right time, if you will.

Our game against Leicester is a huge opportunity. A draw there keeps us with some positive momentum and still right on the heels of Leeds / Burnley, but a win will most likely get us out of the relegation zone already (only way it wouldn't would be for Leeds to beat Arsenal). If we could snatch a win and just nip ahead of Leeds, I think the mental pressure on them would be immense, as it would have to feel like something of a shock to be in the relegation zone for the first time so late in the season after feeling so safe not that long ago.

Put me down as one who doesn't think Burnley gets 6 from Villa. As many have pointed out, Villa is not so far ahead that they can just not show up and not worry about it. Even given Burnley's run of form, I don't think they get more than 4 from Villa, if even that. If they get nothing from Tottenham as well, then that would put them at 38 going into the Newcastle game on the last day and very much still in the danger zone.

I'm hoping that both Burnley and Leeds have peaked too soon. They've had their runs now, but Burnley's especially has come against really weak opposition, and both they and Leeds have tougher fixtures from here out. Hopefully yesterday is the beginning of our turn to have a good run of form now, and in this case, it's probably better to have that run closer to the end of the season - peaking at just the right time, if you will.

Our game against Leicester is a huge opportunity. A draw there keeps us with some positive momentum and still right on the heels of Leeds / Burnley, but a win will most likely get us out of the relegation zone already (only way it wouldn't would be for Leeds to beat Arsenal). If we could snatch a win and just nip ahead of Leeds, I think the mental pressure on them would be immense, as it would have to feel like something of a shock to be in the relegation zone for the first time so late in the season after feeling so safe not that long ago.
I think there are question marks against Jesse Marsch. Not that they're aren't with FL, but Marsch hasn't felt real pressure yet. Nor would I compare to the situation at Burnley. Jackson can play the beginners luck card, and coast along, even if things go wrong. That has actually worked in their favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.