Racist incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an overwhlemingly negative poster, I'm an overwhelmingly positive poster.

I criticise everyone and everything that places a roadblock in the way of us becoming a great club again. That is positive. Anyone who accepts what we have now is, in actuality, the negative poster.

If people choose to look for positives, it does not follow that they are happy to accept the current situation, it simply describes their attitude and state of mind. Whinging and criticising does not make you a better supporter or a more demanding supporter, it just makes you a more whinging and criticising supporter. Your method defines you and your approach, I honestly have no issue with it, it's part of life and adds to the debate on here, but it's noteworthy that the only occasion I have seen you make a rallying call for positivity is when posters have accused the club of racism.

I made reference to this the other day in a different thread but I was genuinely weirded out by a couple of fans near me on Sunday.

The abuse they subjected Luke Shaw, Wan-Bissaka and the assistant referee to, who were all a few yards away at differing times, was vile.

I've never understood why anyone would want to abuse someone at work. I understand, and I do this myself, shouting f off at the referee over a contentious decision. It's a reaction to something.

When it boils over into abuse like Sunday, waiting for players to be in ear shot proximity to call them all the names under the sun, it's disgraceful.

I understand it's not racism but it's still abuse nonetheless.
I will never understand why grown men get worked up over professional sports to the point of abusing players. Racially motivated abuse- it’s just pathetic and sad. I wish they booted fans for any aggressive abuse or language period. People have their kids at the game.

The club has come a long way since the 80's, when i was a lad at the game i remember it being far worse, although it was the norm back then.

Thankfully attitudes have changed.

Theres still racism in Liverpool but no where near what it was like 30 years back. A way to go still but its dying out with generations.

It's a reference accusing them of being gay prostitutes / the old story of a Chelsea Headhunter being caught with a gay prostitute so yes, it is homophobic. Is it often sung in retaliation to their "sign on" taunts or other distasteful chants? Yes. But the point of "Chelsea Rent Boys" is to wind them up by accusing them of being gay, i.e. "inferior" and "effete" compared to your own fans, the hard and masculine masses. That's why it's been clamped down on a lot this season in particular and fans are getting chucked out, arrested and banned for singing it.

So, even if you think it's just harmless banter (I'm sure our gay fans, inter alia, will see not see like that though), don't sing it.

yeah, I get it, I don’t sing anything other than grand old team, but I thought the song against Chelsea was so long-standing that no one cared about the origin. Point taken, I would never use old words for people of colour, so I should be more cautious with other words too.

yeah, I get it, I don’t sing anything other than grand old team, but I thought the song against Chelsea was so long-standing that no one cared about the origin. Point taken, I would never use old words for people of colour, so I should be more cautious with other words too.
I don't recall the song pre Abramovic, I always thought the accusation was those associated with Chelsea would do anything for money.

This thread is embarrassing.

A couple of racists identified and the whole fan base are under the cosh...from some Evertonians.

Makes you think.

Would you prefer the RAWK method Dave? Blame the steward for lying or implying Andros must have deserved it?

Couldn't agree more. On a recent trip back to the UK with my teenagers they were horrified when an older aunt said that since the mobility of people in Europe from the EU the number of stabbings had increased dramatically. I was less horrified but I am of the next generation after the aunt. I am grateful and happy that my kids are not.
As the Specials would say - If you have a racist friend, now is the time, now is the time, for your friendship to end.
The ex pats out here in Spain are the most openly racist group of people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I'm also convinced they're a good indicator of the attitude of the general public above a certain age in small UK towns. Not that this has anything to do with Everton but I think bigger cities inhabitants are generally less behind the times. Generally that is

I find older people, when say I older I mean 60/70s are guilty more than any, and most of the time they dont even realise what they are saying is wrong.A fella in work was telling me something and he used two words that just were disgustingly racist but it didnt even register with him.

True this, I'm not far off 60 and lots of people my age are totally obliviant to the fact that some things they say are offensive ( without actually really meaning any great harm ).

Thankfully, as the younger generations come through who are used to living in a multi-cultural society, and have friends and acquantices of all races and sexual preference, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes have mostly come to be looked on as weird, rather than the norm than it was when I was growing up.

Soz abar the serious post ...

How does a club even enforce a stadium ban though? If he's a season ticket holder he can just get a ticket and sit elsewhere.

It may be difficult to filter out one individual but if he's ever caught doing anything like that again, or even a minor transgression, then the fact that he's defied a stadium ban would see the law come down on him like a ton of bricks.

The ex pats out here in Spain are the most openly racist group of people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I'm also convinced they're a good indicator of the attitude of the general public above a certain age in small UK towns. Not that this has anything to do with Everton but I think bigger cities inhabitants are generally less behind the times. Generally that is

I come from a little town and it's quite shocking the amount of casual racism and general 'phobia' that go around if you are different in anyway.

Thought this was good about Dixie Dean. Not sure how true it is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.