Racist incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
The racist club thing is daft.

A football club doesn't sit in its own world. If there is a race problem at any club then there is a race problem in the society around it. Like Zenit St Petersburg are not a racist club, there may however be an issue with racism in St Petersburg in general.

I certainly don't think Everton has an issue with racism (and I know you are not saying that) but it looks like one or two people who happen to support Everton do. They would be racist even if they did not follow football. Every club will have that.
I’m sure you are aware that we had a reputation for not being inclusive, regarded as a top down problem. We were not alone and whether it was deserved is a separate issue, but I don’t think it’s purely societal, there was a perceived institutional issue at Everton IMO.

I made reference to this the other day in a different thread but I was genuinely weirded out by a couple of fans near me on Sunday.

The abuse they subjected Luke Shaw, Wan-Bissaka and the assistant referee to, who were all a few yards away at differing times, was vile.

I've never understood why anyone would want to abuse someone at work. I understand, and I do this myself, shouting f off at the referee over a contentious decision. It's a reaction to something.

When it boils over into abuse like Sunday, waiting for players to be in ear shot proximity to call them all the names under the sun, it's disgraceful.

I understand it's not racism but it's still abuse nonetheless.
Am sorry but as someone who sits in the Paddock I think it's important that we get into the heads of the opposing team...you won't get it from the family enclosure. I dont want any player or official getting an easy ride when they come to GP. I want to them dread playing Paddock side.

Racism on the other hand should be met with a lifetime ban.

Am sorry but as someone who sits in the Paddock I think it's important that we get into the heads of the opposing team...you won't get it from the family enclosure. I dont want any player or official getting an easy ride when they come to GP. I want to them dread playing Paddock side.

Racism on the other hand should be met with a lifetime ban.
I've heard plenty of 'personal banter' in there to be honest.

How does a club even enforce a stadium ban though? If he's a season ticket holder he can just get a ticket and sit elsewhere.

The best abuse I ever heard was dished out to Teddy Sheringham when he was taking corners for Spurs in the second half of the FA Cup Semi-Final at Elland Road in 1995.

I heard somebody in the Gwladys call Mahrez a terrorist about five years ago. As Prince Andrew would say, quite unbecoming of the individual involved! Those surrounding the fella reacted with laughter rather team outrage, though.

I’m sure you are aware that we had a reputation for not being inclusive, regarded as a top down problem. We were not alone and whether it was deserved is a separate issue, but I don’t think it’s purely societal, there was a perceived institutional issue at Everton IMO.

Yeah I'm mixed race, back in the late 80's early 90's it was not fun at times going the match. I also remember out fans telling the NF to "go away" back then too.

The club itself didn't have the reputation, just the fans. There may have been a reputation in the 70's I don't know, I wasn't alive for most of it. I do remember watching old games on ESPN and being shocked at the monkey chants etc at every ground at the time. Its mad looking back on it.

I'm sure we all know people who have questionable opinions on race who support both clubs in this city. Nobody chooses a football club based on how racist they are.

Racism is in society in general. For the first time ever I agreed with John Barnes when he said that its a society issue and not a football issue. It just so happens that a football ground is a great place to get drunk, get angry and shout your mouth off and that's when the mask of some people can slip.

I guarantee you if there was a train full of fans, not just ours but many other clubs and they saw that it would have been different.

Indeed. But you could also have had another train full of different Chelsea fans and have go a different result. Just so happens there was a bunch of knobs gathered in one place. It would be incredibly harsh to tarnish all Chelsea fans due to the actions of a bunch of morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.