Racist incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad taste from that guy, I hope he's just naive and thought they were funny than offensive. I was going to say you expect it from youngsters not middle aged men but in fact it's the youth who are much more tolerant than older people.

All it takes for evil to thrive, is that good people stand back and do nothing - to paraphrase a very true quote.

Really we should all feel empowered to say something and it is the club's duty to make us safe and free to challenge, be it any racism or -ism at all. However, is calling Chelsea "rent boys" really homophobic? Where is the line for banter?

Its still integrated in alot of our fans from the 90s i reckon, and i'm not just calling out a certain age group. As people below that age group can influence the younger lads.

Train back from Arsenal a bunch of 50 year old fella's throthing at the mouth singing songs on a certain coach.
Eventually got to one lad shouting songs about 'darkies' 'pink palms' 'eto'o is white' etc etc

It was so embarrassing, and im guilty for not standing up and saying something, but how do you confront a group of 10 meat head fella's who think its ok to song that crap in public.

A young black lad got on the train at crew, luckily he had his ear phones in, he was dressed as if he was at someones academy and had been to a game or training, so hopefully he didnt hear any of that crap, ironic thing is, that young lad is probably more successful in his 17 odd years on this planet then any of them fat messes have achieved in there years on the planet. One fella was talking to the others that his mum's getting his tea ready and another about how he cant wait to see his dog!

If people say these aren't Everton fans its incorrect, they are Everton fans unfortunately

Its still integrated in alot of our fans from the 90s i reckon, and i'm not just calling out a certain age group. As people below that age group can influence the younger lads.

Train back from Arsenal a bunch of 50 year old fella's throthing at the mouth singing songs on a certain coach.
Eventually got to one lad shouting songs about 'darkies' 'pink palms' 'eto'o is white' etc etc

It was so embarrassing, and im guilty for not standing up and saying something, but how do you confront a group of 10 meat head fella's who think its ok to song that crap in public.

A young black lad got on the train at crew, luckily he had his ear phones in, he was dressed as if he was at someones academy and had been to a game or training, so hopefully he didnt hear any of that crap, ironic thing is, that young lad is probably more successful in his 17 odd years on this planet then any of them fat messes have achieved in there years on the planet. One fella was talking to the others that his mum's getting his tea ready and another about how he cant wait to see his dog!

If people say these aren't Everton fans its incorrect, they are Everton fans unfortunately

They are Everton fans but what defines them is their racist tendencies not the fact that they chose to be Everton fans.

I think its still in a lot of people from the 90's not necessarily just our fans. There is an awful lot of "lazy" racism still in existence which I find more annoying than dangerous.

However, is calling Chelsea "rent boys" really homophobic? Where is the line for banter?

It's a reference accusing them of being gay prostitutes / the old story of a Chelsea Headhunter being caught with a gay prostitute so yes, it is homophobic. Is it often sung in retaliation to their "sign on" taunts or other distasteful chants? Yes. But the point of "Chelsea Rent Boys" is to wind them up by accusing them of being gay, i.e. "inferior" and "effete" compared to your own fans, the hard and masculine masses. That's why it's been clamped down on a lot this season in particular and fans are getting chucked out, arrested and banned for singing it.

So, even if you think it's just harmless banter (I'm sure our gay fans, inter alia, will see not see like that though), don't sing it.

This thread is embarrassing.

A couple of racists identified and the whole fan base are under the cosh...from some Evertonians.

Makes you think.

What wham are you talking now miserable Dave? One of our fans is done for racism, every poster to a man agrees he's a tit, some also reflect on the fact our club / fans had a reputation for racism well into the 1990s (see that Efan Ekoku game at Norwich for plentiful evidence) and that we wish to banish it but it is nowadays the case of a few bad eggs and we have also always had fans who took great umbrage with those racists. Yet now the "whole fan base" are under the cosh according to tinhat Dave? Give it a rest.

Hi all,

well where do I start. I am a blue. I am British born . I have a surname Patel so as you can guess from Indian heritage although parents were born and bred in Kenya.
Been an Everton fan all my life. I am mid 40’s now and when I was younger going to games terrified me at times especially away games. I still attended but racism was more rife then. It was a minority of our fans but they couldn’t accept me as a blue drie to my skin colour. That was years ago and totally agree this is not a football thing but a society thing.
Now season ticket holder with my son and have no issues in the ground at all. Made some good at the game friends we speak too etc. I do however sometimes feel I get looked at when entering some pubs I tend to wear colours under coat I guess one I take coat off and people see I am a blue then I am accepted. Again this is the minority. All the same makes me feel uncomfortable especially when my son is with me. I can handle looks etc but would hate my son to feel anxious especially while supporting his team.
he is desperate to get to an away game and I haven’t been for a while. Have concerns but it will never stop me. Just need to get tickets I guess.

I'm really happy about our reaction to this. It's good to come down heavy on single incidents and individuals - even though its a minority.

Just wanted to put my old post out here (LINK We can lead the way in the fight against Racism (again) because it bothered me in the past - even though we are not a particularly multi-cultural diverse fan base, we are totally open welcoming and friendly - it's so important that we are the best in this, because Liverpool is an open, welcoming city and never tolerates racism or extremism, we have to make sure we're the same!

Hi all,

well where do I start. I am a blue. I am British born . I have a surname Patel so as you can guess from Indian heritage although parents were born and bred in Kenya.
Been an Everton fan all my life. I am mid 40’s now and when I was younger going to games terrified me at times especially away games. I still attended but racism was more rife then. It was a minority of our fans but they couldn’t accept me as a blue drie to my skin colour. That was years ago and totally agree this is not a football thing but a society thing.
Now season ticket holder with my son and have no issues in the ground at all. Made some good at the game friends we speak too etc. I do however sometimes feel I get looked at when entering some pubs I tend to wear colours under coat I guess one I take coat off and people see I am a blue then I am accepted. Again this is the minority. All the same makes me feel uncomfortable especially when my son is with me. I can handle looks etc but would hate my son to feel anxious especially while supporting his team.
he is desperate to get to an away game and I haven’t been for a while. Have concerns but it will never stop me. Just need to get tickets I guess.

THis is so interesting. I've had the exact same experience, except that I'm not a season ticket holder (yet) posted something about it here, but as I'm also British born, Indian and a lifelong Evertonian it's fascinating to 'meet' someone like me for the first time. https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/we-can-lead-the-way-in-fighting-racism.106791/

What wham are you talking now miserable Dave? One of our fans is done for racism, every poster to a man agrees he's a tit, some also reflect on the fact our club / fans had a reputation for racism well into the 1990s (see that Efan Ekoku game at Norwich for plentiful evidence) and that we wish to banish it but it is nowadays the case of a few bad eggs and we have also always had fans who took great umbrage with those racists. Yet now the "whole fan base" are under the cosh according to tinhat Dave? Give it a rest.
The OP was all about stopping the media launching an attack against Everton...but starting a thread on it and then others chip in with anecdotes from 30 years ago does exactly that: facilitates media attacks.

Everton have far less of a profile than other clubs on this issue. We are known for our commiunity work and all round good eggness.

If you want a club that has problems with racism then look no forther than across Stanley Park. Liverpool FC are a rancid pit of racism.

Hi all,

Sorry to hear about what experienced in the past mate, and the concerns you still have. However, what you say about entering pubs, etc, I understand but I think (hope) has a more innocent explanation. Liverpool is a mostly white city, and with us attracting far fewer international / day tripper fans, the fan base, especially match going, remains mostly white too. Therefore I think the looks come mostly from surprise / suspicion that you’re not a blue, or just the novelty factor of someone who looks different. Of course people shouldn’t think that but one can understand why they do, hopefully it’s changing though. It’s also pleasing that you get no grief when you’re known to be a blue.

In a completely different, much less concerning way, I’ve experienced the narrowed eyes and suspicious glances when I’ve opened my mouth at the pub / match, given I’m a Londoner with a posh accent to boot, but gotten a look of confusion when I’ve unzipped my jumper to show my shirt or whatever.

I wouldn't worry about aways either. Yes people are more drunk, excitable and abusive (to the opposition). But I can’t recall the last time I heard anything racist or saw and incident like that, albeit with the caveat that I’m experiencing all this through a white man’s eyes.

The OP was all about stopping the media launching an attack against Everton...but starting a thread on it and then others chip in with anecdotes from 30 years ago does exactly that: facilitates media attacks.

Everton have far less of a profile than other clubs on this issue. We are known for our commiunity work and all round good eggness.

If you want a club that has problems with racism then look no forther than across Stanley Park. Liverpool FC are a rancid pit of racism.

Dave, but if we are confident and self-aware - i.e. if we have racism we openly talk about it and acknowledge it - that should not make it worse, we should argue together that even if we have a single incident, we don't accept it. Other clubs may be worse, you're right they are, but we don't even tolerate a single incident! That's the point

Dave, but if we are confident and self-aware - i.e. if we have racism we openly talk about it and acknowledge it - that should not make it worse, we should argue together that even if we have a single incident, we don't accept it. Other clubs may be worse, you're right they are, but we don't even tolerate a single incident! That's the point
It's highlighting an incident or two and tarring the whole fanbase. That may not have been the original intent, but that's what happens in threads like this...threads that can be *ahem* 'hijacked'.

Accentuate the overwhelmingly positive rather than focus on minor moments like this.

We are a club with a great reputation for fairnes and community awareness. THAT is or identity, and harking back to 30 year old incidennts when the whole of football was institutionally racist is nonsensical and tarnishes our good name. Dont allow other fans operating on these forums an inch to do that.

They are Everton fans but what defines them is their racist tendencies not the fact that they chose to be Everton fans.

I think its still in a lot of people from the 90's not necessarily just our fans. There is an awful lot of "lazy" racism still in existence which I find more annoying than dangerous.
I find older people, when say I older I mean 60/70s are guilty more than any, and most of the time they dont even realise what they are saying is wrong.A fella in work was telling me something and he used two words that just were disgustingly racist but it didnt even register with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.