Racist incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst is when they try and play it off and make up a plethora of excuses after you call them out on it.

there should be no excuse for it, zero tolerance no matter what age you are. Educate yourself.

Reactions: kev

Can't remember who we were playing, but Amokachi had a run towards goal taking the ball past a couple of players then, instead of passing to Ferguson (I think) who was in space, hit a shot over the bar. The chants of "Amo! Amo!" rang out but, just as they died off, someone behind me carried on with "Amo! Amo! Amo! You greedy black... "

A good half a dozen people jumped up and had a right go at the guy and pretty much left him cowering in his seat and realising that racist crap like that was not welcome. It was so good seeing the situation being 'policed' in such a way by the fans. It left the bloke looking an inch tall, embarrassed, and pathetic in front of his mates and everyone else around him.

Sad times, just when you think we are making progress as a society, it's started creeping back in again.I blame social media and the fact people no longer seem to be able to filter what they say.

Indeed. But you could also have had another train full of different Chelsea fans and have go a different result. Just so happens there was a bunch of knobs gathered in one place. It would be incredibly harsh to tarnish all Chelsea fans due to the actions of a bunch of morons.

It's not harsh, it's nonsense.

Every club has its narrow minded thugs unfortunately. When I was young I heard all sorts on Happy Al's Smackbus. Does that mean all Everton fans speak the same language? Course not. Same with the Chelsea fans, i dont immediately think someones a racist because they support Chelsea. Not all reds go into games thinking its their divine right to have 3 points, not all Spurs fans are up their own arse. Not all Geordies punch horses..

Either you or someone else said about it being a society issue, which is bang on. This is nothing new, it's nothing that has come out of the blue. When you get 30, 40k people at a venue, there is going to be a proportion who are like that unfortunately. I don't think it'll stop for generations really as more and more education comes in and slowly beats it. If society didn't accept the comments on the spot, people would stop, but you get people making jokes and others, even though they are thinking "thats out of order", they just shrug it off which allows the one makin the joke to go 'oh its okay then'.

It's a sickening 'subject' really.

Sad times, just when you think we are making progress as a society, it's started creeping back in again.I blame social media and the fact people no longer seem to be able to filter what they say.

It's always been there, probably always will, the problem these days is that it is slowly starting to be seen as acceptable to air racist views again. Gone are the days where you can call someone the N word or various Asian insults etc, nowadays you can get away with being racist by blaming foreigners for everything that's wrong with society instead. Very strange times.

I remember in the early part of 2016/17 season we were away at Sunderland whilst the game was at 0-0 someone sitting next to me was incredibly drunk and generally so much foul language. I don't mind swearing like anyone else I do it sometimes but not in every sentence. Lukaku was having a poor game and the person next to me called him the same as what happened at Palace. I called him out for it I didn't report it but just asked the question as to why he was being racist. I had no support from anyone around me and he denied it. As the game went on Lukaku went on to score a hattrick and he suddenly became very apologetic and admitted that he'd said something wrong.

My memory is a bit shady of this now as it was nearly 4 years ago but from looking at the photo it could well be the same person.

If i hear racism at the game again I certainly wouldn't report it or even pull someone up and ask the question why they're doing it it's too much hassle to get into and puts yourself at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.