Racist incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's highlighting an incident or two and tarring the whole fanbase. That may not have been the original intent, but that's what happens in threads like this...threads that can be *ahem* 'hijacked'.

Accentuate the overwhelmingly positive rather than focus on minor moments like this.

We are a club with a great reputation for fairnes and community awareness. THAT is or identity, and harking back to 30 year old incidennts when the whole of football was institutionally racist is nonsensical and tarnishes our good name. Dont allow other fans operating on these forums an inch to do that.

You’re starting to sound like a die hard Corbyn loyalist, burying your head in the sand and denying anyone in the party has ever been anti-Semitic because the party is officially anti-racist. Like APN says, the mature thing to do is to confront scenarios head on where do they arise, discuss it openly and maturely and show people that 99.9% of us do not share these views and are in fact vehemently against any idiots. Not sit there going “la la la I’m not listening, we’re completely perfect and have never done anything wrong, it’s all our rival team’s fault.”

It's highlighting an incident or two and tarring the whole fanbase. That may not have been the original intent, but that's what happens in threads like this...threads that can be *ahem* 'hijacked'.

Accentuate the overwhelmingly positive rather than focus on minor moments like this.

We are a club with a great reputation for fairnes and community awareness. THAT is or identity, and harking back to 30 year old incidennts when the whole of football was institutionally racist is nonsensical and tarnishes our good name. Dont allow other fans operating on these forums an inch to do that.

Yeah of course I see what you mean, so we have to all make sure we pull together and are also not making it look worse than it is. We're definitely not a racist fanbase, we have a great community , but we are also strong on these kinds of things. Nobody wants our name to be tarnished

You’re starting to sound like a die hard Corbyn loyalist, burying your head in the sand and denying anyone in the party has ever been anti-Semitic because the party is officially anti-racist. Like APN says, the mature thing to do is to confront scenarios head on where do they arise, discuss it openly and maturely and show people that 99.9% of us do not share these views and are in fact vehemently against any idiots. Not sit there going “la la la I’m not listening, we’re completely perfect and have never done anything wrong, it’s all our rival team’s fault.”
...or deny it the oxygen of publicty.

There are a lot of people easily influenced out there.

I find older people, when say I older I mean 60/70s are guilty more than any, and most of the time they dont even realise what they are saying is wrong.A fella in work was telling me something and he used two words that just were disgustingly racist but it didnt even register with him.

Yeah seems to happen a lot. I worked with an older bloke who used to come up with some weird comments, not just racist terms but the whole stop immigration thing etc. However he was mates with me, one of his in laws who he got on well with was Indian etc. Its weird, its like they live in their own bubble and don't think about what they are saying. With a lot of people it's just hot air.

Sorry to hear about what experienced in the past mate, and the concerns you still have. However, what you say about entering pubs, etc, I understand but I think (hope) has a more innocent explanation. Liverpool is a mostly white city, and with us attracting far fewer international / day tripper fans, the fan base, especially match going, remains mostly white too. Therefore I think the looks come mostly from surprise / suspicion that you’re not a blue, or just the novelty factor of someone who looks different. Of course people shouldn’t think that but one can understand why they do, hopefully it’s changing though. It’s also pleasing that you get no grief when you’re known to be a blue.

In a completely different, much less concerning way, I’ve experienced the narrowed eyes and suspicious glances when I’ve opened my mouth at the pub / match, given I’m a Londoner with a posh accent to boot, but gotten a look of confusion when I’ve unzipped my jumper to show my shirt or whatever.

I wouldn't worry about aways either. Yes people are more drunk, excitable and abusive (to the opposition). But I can’t recall the last time I heard anything racist or saw and incident like that, albeit with the caveat that I’m experiencing all this through a white man’s eyes.
Hi mate

I totally agree on your views entering pub. I do giggle inside when once they see my top they welcome me in. Not saying they wouldn’t if I wasn’t in an Everton too kind.
totall agree it’s a minority thing and not jsut football , I love our club and no individuals will stop me supporting them.
I too have a southern accent so that’s probably adds to the confusion ha ha

In general terms you are an overwhelmingly negative poster, yet a story about a racist blue has you doing a complete 'volte face' from your normal disposition on all matters Everton. How disappointing, again.

Yeah of course I see what you mean, so we have to all make sure we pull together and are also not making it look worse than it is. We're definitely not a racist fanbase, we have a great community , but we are also strong on these kinds of things. Nobody wants our name to be tarnished
My dad is black and has been going the game since the 80s, a season ticket holder for over 35 years and was always asked why do you follow everton you are black. And my dad always have the same answer I’m not black I am an Everton. I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years now and I’ve only heard one racist moment and that was a drunk idiot at an away game in Blackburn. And I’ve noticed more ethic groups starting to follow Everton of last few years. I remember my dad use to stick out at Goodison but not anymore. We are not a racist club just have idiots like all clubs do. And the punishment should be the lifetime ban period.

...or deny it the oxygen of publicty.

There are a lot of people easily influenced out there.

Suppressing things you don’t want to hear about because they don’t fit in with the narrative you want to portray is idiotic, paranoid and authoritarian. It’s very hard to hide anything in this day and age, so to do so and be caught sweeping it under the carpet would do far more damage to the club and fans, and would also be morally reprehensible.

i'm not so sure about that to be honest mate!

In general terms you are an overwhelmingly negative poster, yet a story about a racist blue has you doing a complete 'volte face' from your normal disposition on all matters Everton. How disappointing, again.
I'm not an overwhlemingly negative poster, I'm an overwhelmingly positive poster.

I criticise everyone and everything that places a roadblock in the way of us becoming a great club again. That is positive. Anyone who accepts what we have now is, in actuality, the negative poster.

Yeah seems to happen a lot. I worked with an older bloke who used to come up with some weird comments, not just racist terms but the whole stop immigration thing etc. However he was mates with me, one of his in laws who he got on well with was Indian etc. Its weird, its like they live in their own bubble and don't think about what they are saying. With a lot of people it's just hot air.
Couldn't agree more. On a recent trip back to the UK with my teenagers they were horrified when an older aunt said that since the mobility of people in Europe from the EU the number of stabbings had increased dramatically. I was less horrified but I am of the next generation after the aunt. I am grateful and happy that my kids are not.
As the Specials would say - If you have a racist friend, now is the time, now is the time, for your friendship to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.