Players you were wrong about

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL, since I've been following, its been incredible.
The frustration for me was him not being able to see his movement to the rest of the players, and more so, the actual play. Thought he would never see it.
Don't know whether he found his touch for goal first then had the confidence to read the play and take those moments,
or if it is the other way round,
Sure the guidance must be influential, but its another thing to go and do it.
He's been amazing

Bernie Wright. Harry Catterick said he would be the next golden vision, then Bernie lost his contact lenses. Trevor Steven, exceeded all initial expectations.

DCL, since I've been following, its been incredible.
The frustration for me was him not being able to see his movement to the rest of the players, and more so, the actual play. Thought he would never see it.
Don't know whether he found his touch for goal first then had the confidence to read the play and take those moments,
or if it is the other way round,
Sure the guidance must be influential, but its another thing to go and do it.
He's been amazing
DCL for me too, delighted to be wrong, however.

Peter Reid- too slow, past it and injury prone. Who am I to judge?(n)
At the time many supporters were scratching their heads why we signed him as injuries had seemed to ruin his career. Plus at the time many supporters wanted Kendall to sign Terry Curran permanently after his loan spell but Kendall said we didn't have the 150K or whatever it was Sheff Utd wanted for him. The we signed Reid for 60k and we thought it should have gone towards signing Curran. We eventually signed Curran in the summer for 100k. As it turned out Reid became one of Everton's greatest ever players and Curran turned out to be a flash in the pan and barely played for us before being shipped off to Huddersfield on a free. If I remember it all correctly of course:Blink:

Weirdly DCL is probably the lone Everton player I've been right about in recent years - thought the likes of McGeady, Eto'o, Niasse, Klaassen, Sandro, Bernard, Kean, and Bolasie would be world beaters for us. Thought Gana was a horrendous signing at the time. Embarrassing in hindsight

Definitely DCL for me. I thought he was and would be a good honest centre forward, but I honestly saw no goal scoring ability in him. I didn’t think Coleman had the defensive ability to become the player he did either. I thought Robles was absolutely hopeless at first and then I was pretty sorry to see him go in the end, he fully turned my opinion round.

I’m naturally sceptical when it comes to signings so there’s not that many examples of overestimating, but I thought Delph would at least be a solid squad member and eto’o definitely didn’t have the impact I envisaged.

I definitely defended the Delph signing.

I thought the 2018 summer window was completely brilliant at the time so I guess Gomes and Bernard proving average means I was off. Although I was off the Bernard bandwagon quick and the Gomes one earlier than most. But I didn't think Gomes coming permanently was the wrong move.

Summer of 2017 I probably liked the moves too so that's a swing and a miss. Sandro I couldn't see being a bad move and it has ended up one so that's a tough one.

I applaud your honesty gents. Can I ask either of you to expand on what on Earth made you think McGeady was going to be handy?
I watched a docu thing on him during one of the Euros which painted him in a really good light and made him look decent. He was also a big prospect for Celtic back in the day

Status
Not open for further replies.