Players you were wrong about

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say a few have really turned it around for me -

Michael Keane - boy was he exposed when he was asked to play a high line by himself. Ancelotti saw it straight away and brought in Allan, and worked well at the start, but now with 4CBs at the back, looks like a brick wall. This is the best I've felt about the defence for a long time.

Iwobi - looked like he was going to keep making the wrong decision over and over, but there's a lot less wrong decisions with each game, and his work rate is immense. I want to continue this same formation until it stops working and he's a big part of why its working so well. If he can stop hitting the first defender with his crosses, he's going to be a huge threat.

Sigurdsson - when he came off the bench at the start of the season, he looked good, probably because he played 10. But the matches we lost, he was playing 8 and he wasn't effective. He's doing well right now, so let's keep going with him.

Some that have disappointed -

Bernard - what? sometimes he's not even making the match day squad. What is he doing? When's he's played, he's been up and down, seen some flashes this season, but not enough.

Delph - more disappointing than Gbamin, because he just continues to pick up 4 week injuries.

Tosun - obviously hasn't had many opportunities, but if he was doing well in training, he should at least be coming on for like 10 minutes a game, not injury time.

Some that have disappointed in the past -

Mirallas
AVDM
Kroldrup
Drenthe
Billy
Delofeu
Beattie
Yakubu
Andy Johnson
Jo
Jelavic
Barmby of course
McFadden
McGeady
Klassen

Lot of hype there...

NINTCHDBPICT000439502232.jpg

Tony Hibbert, I thought he could only catch tiddlers.

DCL - didn’t see him performing at this level consistently, saw flashes early on but never expected anything like this season

Delph - thought he was decent signing at the time, hoped he could’ve been Gareth Barry type for few years

Barkley - loved him, thought he was most exciting young player since Rooney

On the plus side always thought Keane, Iwobi could develop into decent players even when they/team weren’t doing great. Deffo getting there.

Delph has lived down to every expectation I had for him.

DCL‘s metamorphosis into a latter day Sharpie doesn‘t surprise me as I said here two years ago he had a lot of the attributes of the young Graeme.

Barkley was a major disappointment to us all, I think.

Delph in a bad way.
Iwobi in a good way.
Beattie , van der Meyde and Drenthe in a bad way.
On a non Everton matter , I remember telling my lad that Thiery Henry was fast in a straight line , but was massively over rated when Arsenal signed him.
Steve Walsh is awaiting your CV.

DCL - didn’t see him performing at this level consistently, saw flashes early on but never expected anything like this season

Delph - thought he was decent signing at the time, hoped he could’ve been Gareth Barry type for few years

On the plus side always thought Keane, Iwobi could develop into decent players even when they/team weren’t doing great. Deffo getting there.
wrong, me? Perish the thought.

Turns out I frequently get it wrong

Garbutt
Barkley
Delph
Bernard
Lookman
Dowell

Glad to have been wrong about DCL though. Thought he'd be a mid table striker at best who wouldn't score enough goals.

Same for me, except Barkley, saw some talent but he looked too self-centered and high hat.
And I also can add Walcott - always waited for a breakthrough from him, but he seems to be a nice guy so I never really ramped on him

I honestly thought Brendan Galloway was going to become a very good player and reach the same standards as John Stones, I was quite off the money there.

I also had very high hopes for Mo Besic and thought he’d become a really important player for us. To be fair, I still really love his attitude and persona but he’s just not quite up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.