Players you were wrong about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delph. Didn't think he'd be a world beater but I was convinced he'd have some value to the squad, not be the absolute skid-mark waste of space he ended up being

Barry - Didn't get it, thought he'd be a bit part player when he'd better served getting someone younger. He ended up being one of our best signings of the PL era.

Klaassen - Thought he'd be excellent and was exactly the sort of midfielder we'd been lacking under for years. Still contend he's a decent footballer but wasn't cut out for PL.

Sigurdsson - Would tell anyone who'd listen how he was far better than Barkley could ever be and signing him would improve us a lot. I absolutely detest him now.

DCL - Did think he had some use and could possibly develop into a target-man striker who maybe gets double-digits in a strong side. Never foresaw him becoming Inzaghi-mark II.

Last edited:
Inappropriate Language
I called out Lookman and Klassen as [Poor language removed] after a couple of games.

But I thought Delofeu was great and Keane was dog [Poor language removed] so it evens itself out

I generally like to give new signings a chance. I think it's unfair to write players off before they've even kicked a ball for us or if when they've only played a handful of games.

One player I never rated before we signed was James Beattie but was prepared to give him time and to be proved wrong, however, when we acquired him midway through the 2004/05 season and he replaced Marcus Bent upfront, our form dropped off and we were lucky to hang on to 4th place in the end. My thoughts on him when he was at Southampton was he had no pace, a poor first touch and couldn't really hold the ball up either but could finish. He certainly wasn't cut out to play the lone striker role in the 4-5-1 formation that was getting us results earlier that season.

Stephen Hughes - Thought he was gonna be boss for us, he wasn’t.

James Beattie - As above.

Drenthe - As above.

McGeady - As above.

DCL - Can’t believe the player he’s developed into, really thought he was average at best.

Delph - Thought he’d be like GazBaz, he isn’t.

DCL - Never thought he would score enough goals.

Doucoure - Looks like he might actually be decent.

Heitinga - Badly average in the end.

Marcus Bent - That stat about every club he played at had gone down, turned out to be sound.

He's probably in the best form of his City career right now? Him and Dias have formed a seemingly solid partnership!
People have done way too much loling at Pep to ever come around to this idea but City have a real chance with Van Dijk amongst the angels to be the best defensive side in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.