Old Everton Pictures

The minute books of Everton F.C. uncover much of the story behind the Anfield Split. The Split was a dramatic disagreement between Everton committee members which broke into the open in September 1891. At the time Everton played at the Anfield ground which is now the home of Liverpool FC. They had been there since 1884.
v0_large.jpg

John Houlding's downfall at Everton was not just the result of disagreements about the rent of Anfield. Many members of the Everton committee including George Mahon and William Clayton did not believe that a football club should be associated with the drinks' trade. Houlding owned a brewery. Also Mahon, who belonged to the Liberal Party, and Houlding, a Conservative, had clashed over local election campaigns. -
v0_large.jpg

Remember him missing a sitter in the first ten minutes and thinking,"he's a British record signing"? But it all turned out well in the end.56 in 97 games wasn't at all bad.
The reality was, that he was my first real hero in blue. I'd only been attending since the start of that season and in fact my first game was seeing Fred rip us apart for Blackburn. I knew all about Alex Young of course, but for me Fred was the real deal. I was devastated when he was ruled out of the final in 1966 convinced we would get beat due to his absence, and the rest is history.
A great player for us, the sixties version of Latch.

The reality was, that he was my first real hero in blue. I'd only been attending since the start of that season and in fact my first game was seeing Fred rip us apart for Blackburn. I knew all about Alex Young of course, but for me Fred was the real deal. I was devastated when he was ruled out of the final in 1966 convinced we would get strike beat due to his absence, and the rest is history.
A great player for us, the sixties version of Latch.
His strike rate for goals for us was phenomenal pity about his knee injury.,
Probably curable today!

What a history though, County one of the original members of the football league, sadly they are in danger of dropping out of the league this season. I think Howard Kendall managed them at one stage, unfortunately Howard's best days were behind him then and County gave him the elbow.

He was a pisshead by the time he was managing Notts County, hence his dismissal !

You're the same age as my dad! This is the only thread I ever show him :D

hallamblue, wish your dad a very happy Christmas from me. Is the 'hallam' anything to do with Sheffield? I played football in the Yorkshire League for many seasons. Played against Hallam many times on their very sloping pitch. Sandy Lane I think the ground was.

hallamblue, wish your dad a very happy Christmas from me. Is the 'hallam' anything to do with Sheffield? I played football in the Yorkshire League for many seasons. Played against Hallam many times on their very sloping pitch. Sandy Lane I think the ground was.
Indeed it is, I've lived over here for nearly 20 years. Mum died in Feb so dad is over here in assisted living accommodation now. There is a Hallamshire Sports ground, it may be there you played.

[QUOTE="hallamblue, post: 6724808, member: 14302]My Dad....This is the only thread I ever show him :D[/QUOTE]

Same here, he loves seeing the photos of his boyhood idols from the 38-39 championship side. With no contemporaries left, it's the last link he has with those wonderful memories. Keep them coming, Joey, you do more good than you know, for which sincere thanks.

He was a pisshead by the time he was managing Notts County, hence his dismissal !
Sadly very true, doesn't say much for Everton appointing him manager, for the third time two years after being sacked by County. A lot of people knew Howard's state at the time, he should have been looked after better,by people at the club, he was in no fit state to manage any club, never mind one in the top division of the English league, we came very close to relagation in Howard's final season with us.

[QUOTE="hallamblue, post: 6724808, member: 14302]My Dad....This is the only thread I ever show him :D

Same here, he loves seeing the photos of his boyhood idols from the 38-39 championship side. With no contemporaries left, it's the last link he has with those wonderful memories. Keep them coming, Joey, you do more good than you know, for which sincere thanks.[/QUOTE]
Seconded, great photos Joey.