Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Martinez reckons Galloway and Browning are good enough for cover and so instead of signing an experienced defender we're getting this lad. Can't see it though. I'd be surprised if this was one of the fabled 3 signings Martinez wants.

In general think these type of signings, and the Henen one, are smart as developing our own youth and buying some other teams promising lads is one of the few ways we can compensate for our lack of investment.

But it only works if the manager who is interested in developing them is still in the job and for that we need signings that will improve the current first team.

Youth setup signings tend to be unsuccessful more than successful. For every Stones there are 10 George Greens. Lets not build up the expectation where every adolescent is expected to break into the England squad within 18 months.

Hiya mate, good point you make, except the comparison with Green.
This lad's played at a decent level already.

Welcome to GOT by the way. Nice to see you found us OK.

The skeptic in me is saying we probably pay no fee upfront just deduct it from the stones sell on fee. Hope I'm wrong but it would make business sense.

Heard good things about this lad, i suppose he looks at Stones progression with and figures he might get a chance in our first team.

.....we have Browning and Galloway but perhaps this lad could be even better or more ready to step up. Also, apparently he can be a conventional RB so that might be a factor.

The skeptic in me is saying we probably pay no fee upfront just deduct it from the stones sell on fee. Hope I'm wrong but it would make business sense.

Heard good things about this lad, i suppose he looks at Stones progression with and figures he might get a chance in our first team.

...not sure I understand that arrangement, we wouldn't deduct from Stones fee because that is monies owed to them. I'm probably misunderstanding.

Certainly plenty of promise at the back. Kenny comes highly regarded at right back, Pennington was fantastic at Coventry, Galloway has looked decent thus far, Browning seems promising too, and of course Garbutt at left back. And that's without Stones. If we add this lad to the mix then that's a lot of young lads fighting for spots in the team at the back. Good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.