2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have thought the club would try and buy Zouma in the summer if they want him/Chelsea will sell so Holgate slips back again

I’m expecting Silva and Brands to have a bit of foresight for next season when Jagielka will turn 37 at the start, Holgate 23. At least three CBs need to go , Williams, Browning and Jagielka. Pennington and Holgate may well be competing for a squad CB spot next season, so for me it makes sense to see how Holgate does on loan .

..or Silva has made up his mind that neither Holgate or Pennington figures in his plans. I assume he’s seen enough of Holgate by this time to evaluate. It’s all assumption on my behalf, of course, but the other consideration is decisions need to be made on the likes of Feeney.

Keeping so many was an issue with Walsh strategy, I suspect we will see lots more churn with Brands.

He's the worst of our 5 centre halves by some margin. I'm not sure why anyone would be against him going out on loan to improve.

...but what if he doesn’t improve and do we keep renewing his contract in the hope that he does? Folk were saying similar with Galloway and Garbutt but both became millstones and still draw considerable salary.

It comes to a point where you use them or sell them.

...but what if he doesn’t improve and do we keep renewing his contract in the hope that he does? Folk were saying similar with Galloway and Garbutt but both became millstones and still draw considerable salary.

It comes to a point where you use them or sell them.

Yes but I suppose that when they were bought we didn’t have the cash that we seemingly have now. To my mind, if you have the cash, you may as well buy in ready made players to go straight in to the first team rather than speculate which was probably what Holgate was
Makes a bit of a mockery of academies though

Yes but I suppose that when they were bought we didn’t have the cash that we seemingly have now. To my mind, if you have the cash, you may as well buy in ready made players to go straight in to the first team rather than speculate which was probably what Holgate was
Makes a bit of a mockery of academies though

..I still think that strategy (buying very promising youngsters) is low risk and worth pursuing given John Stones, DCL and Ademola Lookman are also in that category. The point you make about academies, though, is well made. It means only the exceptional comes through.

..I still think that strategy (buying very promising youngsters) is low risk and worth pursuing given John Stones, DCL and Ademola Lookman are also in that category. The point you make about academies, though, is well made. It means only the exceptional comes through.

Many are called, few are chosen

Whilst I suspect the majority of us love seeing academy players come through to the first team, I cannot see too many of us picking Tom Davies over Gomes if both were fit. It’s painful to see the gulf in class tbh

Many are called, few are chosen

Whilst I suspect the majority of us love seeing academy players come through to the first team, I cannot see too many of us picking Tom Davies over Gomes if both were fit. It’s painful to see the gulf in class tbh

..well it’s obviously a global v local market, so players of the Gomes quality rarely come through our Academy. Looking at the bigger picture, many Everton youngsters have productive careers in the lower leagues and by that route I suppose we play our part supporting the future of the game.

The danger of course of sending Holgate out on loan is he does badly then we can't even sell and get stuck with him like Galloway and Garbutt. Feeney or Gibson may well step up and be able to provide cover as 4th choice centre back. Either way Holgate needs to go somewhere this window be it on a permanent with a buy back or a loan, as u23 football he'll end up playing loads of games at right back and it will hinder him. 22 is an age where players need to be playing in their proper position not filling in.

..well it’s obviously a global v local market, so players of the Gomes quality rarely come through our Academy. Looking at the bigger picture, many Everton youngsters have productive careers in the lower leagues and by that route I suppose we play our part supporting the future of the game.

Perhaps the answer then is to leave these players in the lower leagues and churn the money by buying them when deemed “ready”?
Don’t know but I can’t see too many youngsters coming through ATM. Seem to shine briefly then fade from view.
Doubt we’ll see the likes of Holgate, Benni, Dowell et al becoming regular first teamers

Perhaps the answer then is to leave these players in the lower leagues and churn the money by buying them when deemed “ready”?
Don’t know but I can’t see too many youngsters coming through ATM. Seem to shine briefly then fade from view.
Doubt we’ll see the likes of Holgate, Benni, Dowell et al becoming regular first teamers

..the reality is not many come through to have lengthy careers with the club in the same way Osman and Hibbert did (both part of Youth Cup winning team, which I always say is a really good indicator you have a really good one or two).

I was surprised that when reverting to a back 3, that we opted to not give Holgate a start on the right of a back 3. He has always seemed comfortable in that role.

I was surprised that when reverting to a back 3, that we opted to not give Holgate a start on the right of a back 3. He has always seemed comfortable in that role.
I could be off on this but I believe Koeman abandoned that idea after Holgate got ripped to shreds by Arnautovic at Stoke. He would not have been the answer today.

Status
Not open for further replies.