2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he can go somewhere and get 15 games in the PL then hopefully it'll help his game no end. He's nowhere near the first team here so it has to be better than sitting in the reserves.

We only really have three centre backs right now

If one of them goes down with an injury/suspension then we literally have no cover in that position

Harsh on young Mason, but if he bides his time he'll probably get a chance because I'll be shocked if Mina, Zouma and Keane go the whole season without getting hurt or suspended

He's a young player, who personally I think has the potential to be a first teamer for us. Young lads need games to develop though and he's not getting that with us. Come next summer and Zouma and Jags will be gone, and we'll have two centre backs. If he has 15-20 games between now and the summer and progresses then he's a valuable member of the squad.

..I understand, Bruce, but Brands/Silva have already said the squad is too big. Holgate is old enough to evaluate and we can’t keep hold of all these youngsters in the hope they significantly improve. It comes to a point where you use them or sell them.

We only really have three centre backs right now

If one of them goes down with an injury/suspension then we literally have no cover in that position

Harsh on young Mason, but if he bides his time he'll probably get a chance because I'll be shocked if Mina, Zouma and Keane go the whole season without getting hurt or suspended

..the reports say Holgate has been told he can go out on loan which suggests to me Silva does not intend to use him. I agree, we only have 3 obvious CB options so I assume Silva prefers others in the queue to Holgate.

This is, of course, if the stories are true.

..if he’s nowhere near the first team he should be sold. Simple. We only want a first team squad with players who are capable of playing.

The only loan deals for first teamers should be for those we can’t sell.

I don’t really understand this. So sell if we can, loan if we can’t find a buyer. Do you honestly expect us to keep 4 Mina-level players at the club and happy? There has to be some middle ground. Jags will be gone in the Summer so we’ll need a 4th anyway.

I thought holgate was developing well until this season when arnautovic majorly had him off (again)

wonder if we are trying to [Poor language removed] off Holgate / AN other player's wages to bring in a new player

In the cold light of day he is not good enough if we are to be a top team. All day we slag off players like Walcott - who was part of a top team - yet tolerate poor individuals for seemingly no reason.

If he was good enough for the top 6, he'd have been a target for those clubs. Sorry, but football is ruthless, if he ain't good enough, he has to go.

I don’t really understand this. So sell if we can, loan if we can’t find a buyer. Do you honestly expect us to keep 4 Mina-level players at the club and happy? There has to be some middle ground. Jags will be gone in the Summer so we’ll need a 4th anyway.

...what i’m saying, Nymz, is if the reports are true (Silva has told him he can go out on loan) it suggests Silva has no intention of using him. It means Holgate is behind Jagielka in the queue. With Jagielka likely to leave in the summer, Silva is better off selling Holgate and bringing in a player he’s prepared to use.

For me its between Holgate and Pennington for 4th choice next season as i agree its impossible to keep 4 players of top quality happy. We are gonna struggle to keep 3 happy this season. I would prefer Holgate as he us slightly younger less injury prone and probably slightly better already. I understand some of what Eggs is saying but we need a 22 man squad for cover but you cant expect them all to be internationals unless we are challenging for the title and in Champions League every season.

...what i’m saying, Nymz, is if the reports are true (Silva has told him he can go out on loan) it suggests Silva has no intention of using him. It means Holgate is behind Jagielka in the queue. With Jagielka likely to leave in the summer, Silva is better off selling Holgate and bringing in a player he’s prepared to use.

It makes sense to keep Jags as 4th choice, rather than Holgate, Holgate needs games, Jags doesnt.

It doesnt mean Silva rates Jags more.

It makes sense to keep Jags as 4th choice, rather than Holgate, Holgate needs games, Jags doesnt.

It doesnt mean Silva rates Jags more.

...I guarantee he wants to have his best options available. If he loans Holgate it most definitely means he prefers Jagielka. He has used Jagielka as a substitute in a key match recently, which says everything you need to know about the pecking order.

...I guarantee he wants to have his best options available. If he loans Holgate it most definitely means he prefers Jagielka. He has used Jagielka as a substitute in a key match recently, which says everything you need to know about the pecking order.

It just means that to close out a game he would prefer an older head like Jags.

Anyway, all this based off a nothing story from The Mirror.

SMH

Well yeh but isn’t that obvious? We don’t really need 4 CB’s after New Year and you can’t loan Jags out can you haha.

In the cold light of day he is not good enough if we are to be a top team. All day we [Poor language removed] off players like Walcott - who was part of a top team - yet tolerate poor individuals for seemingly no reason.

If he was good enough for the top 6, he'd have been a target for those clubs. Sorry, but football is ruthless, if he ain't good enough, he has to go.

Maybe he’s not good enough to be a starter, right now, but that’s fine. You need a squad.

I’m expecting Silva and Brands to have a bit of foresight for next season when Jagielka will turn 37 at the start, Holgate 23. At least three CBs need to go , Williams, Browning and Jagielka. Pennington and Holgate may well be competing for a squad CB spot next season, so for me it makes sense to see how Holgate does on loan .

Status
Not open for further replies.