2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to leave. He'll be a good player in a couple of years. Similar situation to Duffy, who was obviously not quite there yet so we couldn't play him, but then developed into a very good centre half.

I think he needs to leave. He'll be a good player in a couple of years. Similar situation to Duffy, who was obviously not quite there yet so we couldn't play him, but then developed into a very good centre half.

It’s okay to not be starting CB in the Premier League at 22 you know.

Why are people so impatient? If you’re not a starter you’re a nobody apparently.

Thumbs up here, send him out to a grock, PL outfit, do him no harm, Fulham be a good fit.

yeah, that'd be a good move tbf, although it may become a worse player because of it. This is another one where we need to get this player a premier league loan, not another championship disaster.

I'd have him above jagielka in the pecking order myself, but that'd still mean he's not getting on the bench.

This,
if its in there he'll eventually make it...3rd time lucky after Garbutt and Galloway

It’s okay to not be starting CB in the Premier League at 22 you know.

Why are people so impatient? If you’re not a starter you’re a nobody apparently.
Becasue playing in the Under 23s/sitting on the bench doesn't develop your career. I don't know what you do for a job, but if you went to work and they told you to sit on a bench while someone else did the job, and they did that for 2 years do you think your ability to do your job would improve?

Becasue playing in the Under 23s/sitting on the bench doesn't develop your career. I don't know what you do for a job, but if you went to work and they told you to sit on a bench while someone else did the job, and they did that for 2 years do you think your ability to do your job would improve?

They’re called loans.

Or where I work secondments.

He needs games so if it means Championship rather Premier League to guarentee this I would be happy for him to drop a level. The last thing we want is a Galloway repeat where he ends up getting no game time and going backwards. Also I want him played at centre back not right back as I feel switching positions a lot hinders young players positional awareness. He will be ideal for 4th choice next season and if we get Europa there will be game time for a 4th choice.

The reality for Holgate and other youngsters is that they are good enough for our first team when we are midtable, but when we improve the squad we bring in established internationals, and very few non full internationals get into top 6 teams. So to challenge the top 6 we need a team of internationals too.
Equally we don’t have the money resources of the top 6 , so we need to develop as many of our youngsters like Holgate that we can . There’s good history in the PL showing young Centre backs who have been let go from PL clubs make it back as they get older and more experienced e.g Conor Cody at Wolves, Nathan Ake at Bournemouth and our own Michael Keane . Get him a decent loan so he’s playing and let’s see how he develops.

If he can go somewhere and get 15 games in the PL then hopefully it'll help his game no end. He's nowhere near the first team here so it has to be better than sitting in the reserves.

..if he’s nowhere near the first team he should be sold. Simple. We only want a first team squad with players who are capable of playing.

The only loan deals for first teamers should be for those we can’t sell.

..if he’s nowhere near the first team he should be sold. Simple. We only want a first team squad with players who are capable of playing.

The only loan deals for first teamers should be for those we can’t sell.

He's a young player, who personally I think has the potential to be a first teamer for us. Young lads need games to develop though and he's not getting that with us. Come next summer and Zouma and Jags will be gone, and we'll have two centre backs. If he has 15-20 games between now and the summer and progresses then he's a valuable member of the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.