2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor get isn't going to have a sniff all season now. To be honest I'd forgotten about him until I saw him in the clip of the players training that's on the OS.

He's at least fourth choice at cb, arguably fifth if you think the manager would prefer Jagielka to him. Also isn't fancied at right back given Kenny was selected every game Seamus was out.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing he isn't playing because he's not exactly world class, but he could go on to be a steady Premier League player in the future, but more than likely not with us as he'll start about two games this season.

How many centre halves of his are age are playing regularly in the top half of the Premiership ?
Central defenders mature later and he is still very young, another player that I can see going out on loan and it would benefit him enormously.

I hope he doesnt! If Mina finds his feet soon, I wouldnt argue against Holgate going out on loan. I think he has a part to play for us in the future, but he’s too far behind our other choices now.
He has stated as such before he even kicked a ball with us a huge Chelsea fan. But wait so was Lukaku. You never know.

I hope he doesnt! If Mina finds his feet soon, I wouldnt argue against Holgate going out on loan. I think he has a part to play for us in the future, but he’s too far behind our other choices now.

..if he’s far behind now, it’s difficult to see that situation changing. There’s lots of shouts for players to go out on loan but it comes to a point where you have to make a keep or sell decision. I’m. talking generally as opposed to voicing an opinion about Holgate.

How many 21 year old CB's are there in the Prem starting week in week out? Not very many. He's a talent but has a few little things to work on, mainly positioning. Training with Mina/Zouma will help him develop. I'd be more concerned if come next summer he was still in this position.
His play with the ball is poor also. He really only brings speed and half decent tackling to the team currently. He has a long way to go.

..if he’s far behind now, it’s difficult to see that situation changing. There’s lots of shouts for players to go out on loan but it comes to a point where you have to make a keep or sell decision. I’m. talking generally as opposed to voicing an opinion about Holgate.
Exactly
No point in keeping players in the squad who aren’t pushing the first 11 for places
Can’t afford to carry passengers or have sentimentality towards younger players
If they are not good enough move them on and let them get game time elsewhere

williams and jagielka will be gone end of this season hopefully. That'd leave us with just mina and keane. We can't be looking to sell holgate just yet like, he's going to be a very good backup option for years to come and a snip at £1.5m. You're just going to have to accept that if he's 5th choice for example, he's not going to be of the same calibre as the first choice. It was only two months ago people were saying how good he was going to be and how he was better than keane etc.

I do understand the loan shouts, but him being 5th choice next season and still playing in the U23's will probably be ok given his age. Don't agree that he should be sold because he's not pushing for the first team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.