2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he's crap again now is he?

It's really hard to keep up with all this. He was boss when he wasn't playing, now he has a bad game and he is awful.

I am not even bothering to work out the Kenny equation.

They’re both young and come from Barnsley. That’s where the comparisons stop. Stones was reknowned for his passing ability whereas Hogate is reknowned for his lack of passing ability.
Tbf to Holgate its hard to be a ball player at the back when no one moves and shows for the ball. Even Stones might have struggled in this team of cowards hiding from the ball.

I like Holgate, but I still can't fathom how easily Arnautovic lost him for the 3rd on Sunday. Basic defending that, and usually something he does well. Despite West Ham being by far the better team, all the goals were down to our poor defensive set up, the sooner Silva addresses this, the sooner we move on.

Its been downhill for him since Firminho called him a racist word...allegedly.

Gutted for him as this should be the time hes forcing his way in...

Its been downhill for him since Firminho called him a racist word...allegedly.

Gutted for him as this should be the time hes forcing his way in...
He was found out when we went to Stoke and he got abused by Arnautovic. I think he was subbed off at halftime in that one. His alleged quality on the ball has always been a bit of a myth.

He was found out when we went to Stoke and he got abused by Arnautovic. I think he was subbed off at halftime in that one. His alleged quality on the ball has always been a bit of a myth.

Seems fine to me, average centre back 21 years old and still developing. Think a lack of preseason and the injury have stunted him.

Seems fine to me, average centre back 21 years old and still developing. Think a lack of preseason and the injury have stunted him.
Personally think he is well below average. His age is the only thing that makes him worth having around but he really needs to improve soon. Just for reference we've conceded 2 legitimate goals (I don't count the Aubameyang one for criticizing our defending purposes) in the 3 games since he was dropped.

He’s progressed just as slowly as all the other youngsters at the club, despite having all the attributes to being a good CB and it’s an area we have struggled in for seasons. Maybe we’re just not good at developing young players.

He’s progressed just as slowly as all the other youngsters at the club, despite having all the attributes to being a good CB and it’s an area we have struggled in for seasons. Maybe we’re just not good at developing young players.

How many 21 year old CB's are there in the Prem starting week in week out? Not very many. He's a talent but has a few little things to work on, mainly positioning. Training with Mina/Zouma will help him develop. I'd be more concerned if come next summer he was still in this position.

Status
Not open for further replies.