2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be off on this but I believe Koeman abandoned that idea after Holgate got ripped to shreds by Arnautovic at Stoke. He would not have been the answer today.
Eh overall when we played with 3 at the back Holgate always looked the most assured for me. Just feel his actual ability to turn something Mina and Keane struggle with was a necessity when dealing with Sane, Mahrez and Jesus.

No slate against Mina. He had a mare - but if we are going to change formations at random then play your strongest players as per that formation. This includes not selecting Sigurdsson.

Eh overall when we played with 3 at the back Holgate always looked the most assured for me. Just feel his actual ability to turn something Mina and Keane struggle with was a necessity when dealing with Sane, Mahrez and Jesus.

No slate against Mina. He had a mare - but if we are going to change formations at random then play your strongest players as per that formation. This includes not selecting Sigurdsson.
This isnt the right thread but I don’t know who does better than Gylfi.

Anyway Holgate against a high press would have been messy in possession, not that we were good anyway, but he’s always been a bit shakier. And while he has the pace to cover ground if he messes up like he did against West Ham last time he played no amount of pace is going to fix it. He won’t be playing for us again this year without injury problems.

This isnt the right thread but I don’t know who does better than Gylfi.

Anyway Holgate against a high press would have been messy in possession, not that we were good anyway, but he’s always been a bit shakier. And while he has the pace to cover ground if he messes up like he did against West Ham last time he played no amount of pace is going to fix it. He won’t be playing for us again this year without injury problems.
I'm not advocating for Holgate to start games mate, unless it's in a back 3. For the most part everytime he has played in a back 3, he has played well. Including an immense performance against City at Etihad (ignoring his headed clearance). If anything his biggest strength is composure on the ball, which would have been nice against the City press.

I'm not advocating for Holgate to start games mate, unless it's in a back 3. For the most part everytime he has played in a back 3, he has played well. Including an immense performance against City at Etihad (ignoring his headed clearance). If anything his biggest strength is composure on the ball, which would have been nice against the City press.
I’ve never understood the Holgate is good in possession thing. I guess he takes more touches and looks kind of smooth with it but his decision making and accuracy are woeful. Keane is our best ball player at the back imo. Mina is good too but Keane plays some really solid line splitting balls.

Let’s be honest, Holgate is simply not good enough at the moment. He was absolutely terrible in his last appearance at Goodison. Completely out muscled at Centre back. He’s not yet strong enough to be a premiership player.

It is possible he could play at full back, but he’s not yet a centre back, or even part of a back three.

Just to make it clear that I agree with the notions that he gets out muscled/bullied.

But he was our best CB in a back 3 whenever we deployed it under Koeman. Hence why I suggested we may have missed a trick here.

Hes a tricky one...

Looks ace at RCB but struggles against the big blokes.

I wonder where he would go on loan...

"Looks ace"
"I like him"

I'm at a complete loss with you sometimes.

What? He looks ace at RCB in every game aside from against big players...they seem to bully him

I like him but thats a weakness which can be exploited...

Also he has to go on loan to develop...hes not playing.

What? He looks ace at RCB in every game aside from against big players...they seem to bully him

I like him but thats a weakness which can be exploited...

Also he has to go on loan to develop...hes not playing.
You're in the Gylfi thread giving it beans about how Gylfi needs to be sold but you're in here saying sensationalist nonsense like "he looks ace at RCB". When? How? He's done absolutely nothing to warrant your praise, certainly not when contextualising against your view of Sig'.

It's all a bit mad.

You're in the Gylfi thread giving it beans about how Gylfi needs to be sold but you're in here saying sensationalist nonsense like "he looks ace at RCB". When? How? He's done absolutely nothing to warrant your praise, certainly not when contextualising against your view of Sig'.

It's all a bit mad.

Zatmania is crazy, last week he was saying we should sell Lookman, this week hes playing him as a number 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.