2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're in the Gylfi thread giving it beans about how Gylfi needs to be sold but you're in here saying sensationalist nonsense like "he looks ace at RCB". When? How? He's done absolutely nothing to warrant your praise, certainly not when contextualising against your view of Sig'.

It's all a bit mad.

One is a young centre back who in the summer was considered by most to be our best. He looked very good there next to williams and when im a 3 until the west ham game vs arnautovic.

The other has had 15% excellent games and 85% anonymous, is on massive wages and could fetch a half decent fee.

Ive no idea how or why youre comparing the two.

Zatmania is crazy, last week he was saying we should sell Lookman, this week hes playing him as a number 10.

Youre in the wrong thread.

Besides, Lookmans best position is 10.

One is a young centre back who in the summer was considered by most to be our best. He looked very good there next to williams and when im a 3 until the west ham game vs arnautovic.

The other has had 15% excellent games and 85% anonymous, is on massive wages and could fetch a half decent fee.

Weird Holgate/Sigurdsson comparison aside Holgate is woeful more often than not and him being considered decent during the summer was relative to the awfulness of defenders named Williams and Martina who played with him. We've bought a couple proper defenders and Keane has gotten healthy and regained his confidence and Holgate is now 4th choice at best. I don't really want to slate the lad anymore because I have done often but he has a long way to improve as currently his only Premier League level ability is his speed. Everything else is below average including his weirdly renowned ability in possession. His age is on his side still but he isn't there yet and I don't know how he will get the game time here to ever make it.

Weird Holgate/Sigurdsson comparison aside Holgate is woeful more often than not and him being considered decent during the summer was relative to the awfulness of defenders named Williams and Martina who played with him. We've bought a couple proper defenders and Keane has gotten healthy and regained his confidence and Holgate is now 4th choice at best. I don't really want to slate the lad anymore because I have done often but he has a long way to improve as currently his only Premier League level ability is his speed. Everything else is below average including his weirdly renowned ability in possession. His age is on his side still but he isn't there yet and I don't know how he will get the game time here to ever make it.

Whichever view one takes on Holgate he simply has to go on loan. I wouldnt be shocked to see him heading to the championship but if we are thinking of selling him then perhaps Germany may be good.

They like English players thesedays and could drop £10-15mil on him if he does well.

Whichever view one takes on Holgate he simply has to go on loan. I wouldnt be shocked to see him heading to the championship but if we are thinking of selling him then perhaps Germany may be good.

They like English players thesedays and could drop £10-15mil on him if he does well.
I'd guess the low end of that price range is the best we could do. But for now a loan is required. Lower level Prem would be better but the championship and specifically a mid table team that isn't fighting to go up or down that maybe could tolerate some mistakes would also be great.

I'm merely comparing the way you judge players.

Everything above has already been said, Holgate was our best when we were in possession of Williams, Keane and Jags. Would he still be considered the best given Keane's improvement? Of course not.

You're blinded by players of youth, in a nutshell. Which isn't new news.

I'm merely comparing the way you judge players.

Everything above has already been said, Holgate was our best when we were in possession of Williams, Keane and Jags. Would he still be considered the best given Keane's improvement? Of course not.

You're blinded by players of youth, in a nutshell. Which isn't new news.

I have no idea what point youre trying to make.

Youve alluded to me overrating players, then admited Holgate was superior to an england international signed for £30mil, a former england international and wales captain last season when he was 20 years old.

Then i would be spot on. lol

I think if you're playing a back three then Holgate has to be in it, as I remember him being a better passer than Keane, no?

Anyway, 4 CBs would be Keane, Holgate, Mina plus one next year, as there's no point holding on to Jags and we might lose Zouma.

I would be tempted to sell Holgate as if your talking 4th choice, so realistically 10-12 games a season I think Pennington or Browning might be a better bet. We would probably get a higher fee for Holgate which could be used towards buying someone of higher quality for 3rd choice whether that be Zouma or someone else. Non if the 3 above are good enough for that role.

Yes get the young players out of our club!
*yes get the young players out of our club to gain valuable minutes & experience.

..we can’t continually keep hold of young players in the hope they’ll one day be good enough. It comes a time when a decision has to be made to use them or sell them. The squad is too big, we need players the manager is prepared to use.

The problem with sending first team squad players out on loan ‘for experience’ is that they might actually struggle and their value decreases. Galloway and Garbutt went backwards on loan and became impossible to shift. I read posters saying Holgate should go to ‘lower half’ Premiership team but we don’t know if any want him and we’re around that area ourselves. We can’t assume young first teamers are going to impress wherever they go.

For me, if the manager doesn’t want a player then he should be permanently moved as long as there’s a club prepared to buy.

Last edited:
..we can’t continually keep hold of young players in the hope they’ll one day be good enough. It comes a time when a decision has to be made to use them or sell them. The squad is too big, we need players the manager is prepared to use.

The problem with sending first team squad players out on loan ‘for experience’ is that they might actually struggle and their value decreases. Galloway and Garbutt went backwards on loan and became impossible to shift. I read posters saying Holgate should go to ‘lower half’ Premiership team but we don’t know if any want him and we’re around that area ourselves. We can’t assume young first teamers are going to impress wherever they go.

For me, if the manager doesn’t want a player then he should be permanently moved as long as there’s a club prepared to buy.

I’d agree if we did have a bloated squad but if you take away the current loanees with zero future and the likes of Niasse then it isn’t a massive squad.

You can’t just have a bunch of first team ready players and then sell everybody else. What use is an academy then? Young players aren’t afforded the same amount of minutes/leeway in the PL compared to other leagues.

Holgate hasn’t been out on loan before so think it’s worth it. We could sell him but what happens if one full season of football turns him into what would have been our best defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.