Lewis Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really liked to see an Everton midfielder move into space always to receive the ball, which Onana was doing too. I’ve long bemoaned our static midfield marking themselves when we’re in possession so hopefully Lewis can develop either here or out of loan to give us options at playing out from the back without instigating panic.
The problem that we have with keeping Warrington (and Mills) is that, barring injuries, their playing time is likely to be restricted to the League Cup and, possibly, easy FA Cup ties as we look unlikely to have many games where we are cruising to victory this season. Especially if we do get Gana or a.n.other midfielder.
So then you are looking at whether being around the first team squad and the occasional U21 game to keep the fitness levels up is better than a decent loan. But then, of course, decent loan spells can be more luck than judgement, as many of our youth players have seen before.

The problem that we have with keeping Warrington (and Mills) is that, barring injuries, their playing time is likely to be restricted to the League Cup and, possibly, easy FA Cup ties as we look unlikely to have many games where we are cruising to victory this season. Especially if we do get Gana or a.n.other midfielder.
So then you are looking at whether being around the first team squad and the occasional U21 game to keep the fitness levels up is better than a decent loan. But then, of course, decent loan spells can be more luck than judgement, as many of our youth players have seen before.
I was hoping the introduction of the five subs rule might provide more opportunities for the likes of Warrington and Mills but aye probably a loan is best path.

With our injuries I wouldn’t be worried about playing time. He’s probably only one or two more hamstring pulls from being in the first 11.

You have a much better eye for a decent youth player than I, so that’s encouraging.

Really liked to see an Everton midfielder move into space always to receive the ball, which Onana was doing too. I’ve long bemoaned our static midfield marking themselves when we’re in possession so hopefully Lewis can develop either here or out of loan to give us options at playing out from the back without instigating panic.

Warrington seemed to have a really good understanding about what is, or isnt his game, in a way that say Tom Davies just didnt. Like I'm not saying Davies is/was awful but a big problem hes had is you just had no idea what role he was trying to fill.

Warrington is clearly a 6, who is going to take the ball and move it to another player. Everytime he had the ball, he seemed to have a clear idea of what he was doing with it. Seemed to play beyond his years really.

I still dont think he will be big enough, but he did well yesterday, at just knowing his limitations and adapting accordingly.

We play them sporadically using the 5 man subs, we big them up we sell them for £Xxm to championships clubs looking for unpolished diamonds with prem league experinece.
Got to be the a better use of the academy system

Warrington seemed to have a really good understanding about what is, or isnt his game, in a way that say Tom Davies just didnt. Like I'm not saying Davies is/was awful but a big problem hes had is you just had no idea what role he was trying to fill.

Warrington is clearly a 6, who is going to take the ball and move it to another player. Everytime he had the ball, he seemed to have a clear idea of what he was doing with it. Seemed to play beyond his years really.

I still dont think he will be big enough, but he did well yesterday, at just knowing his limitations and adapting accordingly.
A fine point raised this. Davies has indeed suffered from not being pinned down to one of them different midfield roles through a flux of different managers. Warrington is very clearly defined in what he is. He seems to have a narky edge about him so that will help mitigate any size he’s giving away, reckon at the very least he’s gonna turn into a decent Championship player which is more than most of ours do. Hopefully Everton can develop him more to our benefit.

We were interested in both so no.
Probably harsh to include Gilmour in same category as winks though, he has chance to be decent.
I'm pretty sure if you offered Warrington the chance to have anything like the career Winks has had he would bite your hand off. 200+ games for a top 6 side, including starting a CL final, plus 10 England caps is not bad. I certainly hope Warrington can emulate that haul over the next 6 years.

Agree, how many times I've seen Davies attempt to take players on only to be bullied off the ball and fall down arms in the air. He can't do it, hasn't the strength nor the pace, so just pick a pass ffs.

That is one of the things that annoys me most about Davies. He’ll hesitate over taking a well placed shot or trying a through ball on his right foot, things he might have a chance of executing, and then next minute he’s trying to run a full back down the line or having a go from a ridiculous angle on his weak foot.

His lack of pace means he panics his decisions. He should really talk to someone like Leon Osman about how to focus on what he’s good at rather than blindly flailing around in matches.

I'm pretty sure if you offered Warrington the chance to have anything like the career Winks has had he would bite your hand off. 200+ games for a top 6 side, including starting a CL final, plus 10 England caps is not bad. I certainly hope Warrington can emulate that haul over the next 6 years.

If Warrington can be as good as Winks, that would be fantastic for us as well.

While I never felt Winks was what we needed, and I baulked a little at the fees involved, hes better than most of our midfield players and would have helped us a lot in recent years.

That is one of the things that annoys me most about Davies. He’ll hesitate over taking a well placed shot or trying a through ball on his right foot, things he might have a chance of executing, and then next minute he’s trying to run a full back down the line or having a go from a ridiculous angle on his weak foot.

His lack of pace means he panics his decisions. He should really talk to someone like Leon Osman about how to focus on what he’s good at rather than blindly flailing around in matches.

I spoke to my dad about this after the game yesterday mate. I think some of this is innate. I just dont think Davies had a clarity of thinking that most top midfielders have. You sort of have to know what you are doing with the ball before it arrives. Davies always looked like a player who wanted to have a touch, then consider his options, by which point he was under a lot of pressure. Often hed then compound that mistake by making risky decisions.

From an initial look, Warrington seems to know he isnt going to get a lot of time on the ball, and that hes too small to go past people. So on occasion, it was a lot of quick, one touch passes, and thus preventing opponents from tackling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.