2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps some serious competition for his place will buck up his performances
I think that would be the real acid test for Pickford because he'd have to knuckle down and improve, whereas you'd infer that he may have been complacent.

While I'm not in the 'he's rubbish' camp or advocating selling him, I've always said that I am concerned about his personality and mental side of the game.

He doesn't seem to take (fair) criticism very well and his whole persona gives a feeling of arrogance: does he understand he needs to improve? Does he want to?

The whole going to the darts and necking pints in front of the media when we were in a period of congested fixtures gave the aura of a player not taking it seriously.

Before the suspension, he was making some real clangers where the ball was going through him or beating him at the near post: has he been addressing this?

I'm sure that bitch Carole baskin had some hand in it.

I don't think the importance on the goalkeepers confidence and performance of a solid back 4 can be underestimated.

This is not to excuse some of Pickford's mistakes, however even the best struggle when they do not have decent unit in front of them. Look at a couple of spells where De Gea (arguably best in world over last 5/6 years) has looked dodgy and been making rookie errors, these have coincided with United's defensive struggles as they couldn't sort out their centre backs. Look by contrast at Allison, he clearly has a mistake in him (more so than Dr Gea) but is so rarely exposed due to that defence finally getting sorted.

Pickford is a high quality goalkeeper, the world cup and first year here demonstrate that. His weakness in my view is mental application at times but where a solid defence is in place confidence in this and therefore not second guessing or waiting for the mistake in front of you to happen makes a huge difference to how a goalkeeper makes decisions.

I don't think the importance on the goalkeepers confidence and performance of a solid back 4 can be underestimated.

This is not to excuse some of Pickford's mistakes, however even the best struggle when they do not have decent unit in front of them. Look at a couple of spells where De Gea (arguably best in world over last 5/6 years) has looked dodgy and been making rookie errors, these have coincided with United's defensive struggles as they couldn't sort out their centre backs. Look by contrast at Allison, he clearly has a mistake in him (more so than Dr Gea) but is so rarely exposed due to that defence finally getting sorted.

Pickford is a high quality goalkeeper, the world cup and first year here demonstrate that. His weakness in my view is mental application at times but where a solid defence is in place confidence in this and therefore not second guessing or waiting for the mistake in front of you to happen makes a huge difference to how a goalkeeper makes decisions.
Or flip it around, how about a defences confidence in their keeper, which I doubt ours has any in baby hart. Can’t be helpful having such an erratic man child in goal who then has a cheek to have a go at other players when he messes up

Or flip it around, how about a defences confidence in their keeper, which I doubt ours has any in baby hart. Can’t be helpful having such an erratic man child in goal who then has a cheek to have a go at other players when he messes up
I think it does indeed work both ways.

I would argue that the defence has been in proportionate terms worse at their jobs this season than the keeper. There have been numerous unmarked forwards in our box leading to goals all season. Pundit after pundit has highlighted it without having to even go looking for it.

To be clear I am not saying Pickford is performing well currently, however I would have more faith in getting a decent centre half and seeing how Pickford responds than changing keeper and seeing how Keane and mina respond.

I think it does indeed work both ways.

I would argue that the defence has been in proportionate terms worse at their jobs this season than the keeper. There have been numerous unmarked forwards in our box leading to goals all season. Pundit after pundit has highlighted it without having to even go looking for it.

To be clear I am not saying Pickford is performing well currently, however I would have more faith in getting a decent centre half and seeing how Pickford responds than changing keeper and seeing how Keane and mina respond.

There’s been times where our defence has looked solid and been relatively untroubled only for Pickford to let the first shot of the game slither under him or aimlessly flap at a corner and gift the opposition a goal. The defence can only do so much, at some point your goalkeeper is going to have to pull off some saves.

I don't think he's been in good form, but he has shown he can be a very good goalkeeper.

Hopefully this long break will do him the world of good as he has looked a nervous goalkeeper for a long time. A bit of reflection, review his performances, out of the limelight and calming down will hopefully help him

Status
Not open for further replies.