2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Form is temporary class is permanent. Hes a very good keeper that has had a couple of shaky moments.

This save against Columbia was incredible

TELEMMGLPICT000168338831_trans%2B%2Bt671WbH42S1Cgh7qkP2gbderf1OUIQbkLNZg14NSxwU.jpeg

That was a quality save and gave me hope. Problem is he seems to be regressing. He always had a blunder in him, like the time he came out of his box and got in a mix up with Zouma and Son scored for Spurs. Then the last minute RS disaster. You can take those occasional blips if the kicking is good and the general shot stopping is sound, but both have dropped off. He was sent flapping at another weak shot that just looped past the post yesterday. He was in a total state of panic and had that been on target could have easily palmed it into his own goal.

He barely comes out for crosses during corners which makes it likely we will concede to poor ones that could have easily been cleared by someone who has a metre advantage on most people around him (Seeing he can use his arms).

I don't like wasting money and/or throwing people on the bonfire but I don't think we have seen him hit his nadir yet. Imho a keeper like Alisson would improve players like Keane and Mina no end and we'd look a hell of a lot better for it.

Thought Lossl only went out on loan ?
I cant imagine Everton wanting him back here after his loan deal ends. He was allowed to go for a reason.

He came here on a free; I'm sure he'll be offloaded if that position was required.

In any case, with Stekelnburg leaving the place for a top GK will exist.

Hi mate.

Here is you, in 2018, in the player of the season thread, saying Jordan Pickford was our player of the season.

You even voted for him.

He won it at 24.

He's now 25.

Not that long ago, really.

Sure, he's not been great this season. But he's not a disgrace, atrocious, *insert any other overly dramatic description here*

And he certainly doesn't deserve smug, obnoxious pundits laughing at him being described as England's number one.

If I and presumably others voted Pickford “player of the season” in the calendar year of 2018 then I imagine that poll must have been held at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Ergo the Poll was held in the May of 2018.

Since then it has been mostly downhill for him.

For my part, your detective work illustrates I have no agenda and I am more than willing to give credit where it is due.

But I reserve the right to change my opinion on him....as the saying goes, when the facts change then I change my mind.

So what you are getting from me is an honest opinion based on the evidence I have seen with my own eyes this past fifteen months.

My other post states, quite clearly, that Pickford came under the spotlight on GOT in the December of 2018 with his infamous howler at The Pit.....seven months after I voted for him in the Poll.

That was followed in quick succession with the fiasco of the Spurs equaliser a few games later and then his antics at the Barcodes which were largely responsible for us blowing a two goal lead.

That is why I used December 2018 as the date sentiment about Pickford changed round these parts.

So, he might have been good in season 2017/18.....he was not good the season after nor is he good now.

There is absolutely zero chance he will win “player of the season” this year, nor even be in the running for it.

Why?

Simply because he is nowhere near as good as he was in 2017/18.

And whilst you are correct that some of our friends on here do indeed go overboard with their criticism of Pickford, the fact remains he is developing into a distinctly average goalkeeper and the mainstream media is only now cottoning what people on here began to realise in December 2018.

My other post states, quite clearly, that Pickford came under the spotlight on GOT in the December of 2018 with his infamous howler at The Pit....

All for changing opinions mate, the forum would be tons better if more people did so but that bit there, I think is significant.

He lost a lot of fans with it, I've mentioned it a few times.

I still think that there's a top player in there and it's far too early to condemn him so badly and to write him off.

I still think this;

His derby flap.
His arrogance.
His current bad form.
His out of touch, weird dramatic baby gender reveals. Ok maybe not that...

I can see why there's a growing amount of fans on his case but I still think he's a good, potentially top goalkeeper in bad form, in a team severely hamstrung by a managerial setup.

He will only go backwards under Marco Silva. You only have to look at how backwards his distribution has got. Earlier in this thread I referenced it and someone wisely said it's instructed - he's told to go to the wingers and you're seeing him punt so many balls straight out.

He's not the problem, he's a symptom of a much bigger issue.

I think he did go backwards for a spell in a team incapable of defending under Silva but under Ancelotti, I think he'll be a big asset next season.

The very fact he's performed to levels at Everton in his first season, and for England shows there's a player in there.

I don't think GK is a priority - we need improvements at right back, centre half, all across the entire midfield and another striker IMO.

I cant remember the goalie, nor the manager who answered the question about him, but it went like this.

Q. "Is your keeper the best in the world?"

A. "No. But he thinks he is. Thats fine by me."

Pickford has an ego. He is immature. But he also has talent.

All for changing opinions mate, the forum would be tons better if more people did so but that bit there, I think is significant.

He lost a lot of fans with it, I've mentioned it a few times.

I still think that there's a top player in there and it's far too early to condemn him so badly and to write him off.

I still think this;

I think he did go backwards for a spell in a team incapable of defending under Silva but under Ancelotti, I think he'll be a big asset next season.

The very fact he's performed to levels at Everton in his first season, and for England shows there's a player in there.

I don't think GK is a priority - we need improvements at right back, centre half, all across the entire midfield and another striker IMO.

Indeed, some very good points and I hope that all of his critics on here would be happy to eat their words if he returns to the form of 2017/18.

And actually I think the summer of 2018 is very significant in the Jordan Pickford story.

I think most of us would agree he has not been the same for us since his splendid World Cup of that summer.

There was a school if thought prevalent throughout the 2018/19 season that his head “had been turned” and that he maybe thought he was above EFC and should be playing CL football as most of his England colleagues were.

And that this had led to a loss of focus.

He’s in poor form. When he’s in top form he’s a very good keeper. Needs to work on consistency. Not bothered about whether he’s arrogant or not, Howard and Robles were two of the nicest blokes you could find and neither could save a single shot on target towards the end.

He makes mistakes every week, many of which cost us goals. Imagine playing in front of him every week, playing well, defending well, then your keeper lets in a soft one. He does this consistently. Yes, he makes the occasional great save but most keepers do. That’s what they are there for. It’s at the point now where he is lauded if he goes a game without costing us a goal. How wrong is that......

He makes mistakes every week, many of which cost us goals. Imagine playing in front of him every week, playing well, defending well, then your keeper lets in a soft one. He does this consistently. Yes, he makes the occasional great save but most keepers do. That’s what they are there for. It’s at the point now where he is lauded if he goes a game without costing us a goal. How wrong is that......

All the opposition have to do is shoot on sight and they’ve more or less scored. It’s one of our biggest concerns and the fact people think it’s low down on our list of priorities to address is startling.

Status
Not open for further replies.