2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair mate 6 yard passes to Van Dijk 100 times a game probably help those stats.

Yeah I acknowledged that in the post you quoted, but still hard to argue against us not using Pickford as we could.

Apparently one of the best 'keeper distributors? But then we're creating sod all from it;

skysports-graphic-data-goalkeeper_4450348.jpg

That literally does absolutely nothing to address the point though. Regardless of how many shots on target we had in one particular game, we score more goals than the majority of teams in the league, so saying Pickford doesn't contribute to as many goals as other keepers because of the poor quality of our attacks makes no sense. Again, it's not a key stat, but it's just a blind defence of him with no real substance to it.

Okay, but is it not fair to say that when Pickford gets those kicks right it's on the attackers to make more of those situations.

It's not unfair to say that our attackers aren't great in those situations but are, for example, better when we win the ball high up the pitch and counter from there?

So, as @GrandOldTeam mentioned, it's perhaps worth us working on those situations more? And that would include Pickford's kicking being more consistent.

I wasn't meaning it as a blind defence of him.

Liverpool seemed to be the catalyst for a drop in form that I'm putting down to confidence.
Hopefully, the couple of decent saves he made vs Bournemouth will give him the strength to step up and cut out the errors we have seen lately.

That should help his figures surely? If you're hoofing it it's basically 50/50 whether your player gets it or not. If you're passing 20 yards out to the flanks then the chances of it being successful should be much, much higher than that, otherwise you really shouldn't be playing the ball. Also worth pointing out that probably 50% of his passes are those 10 yard sideways ones to the centre halves from goalkicks, which most keepers don't play as many of either.

I don’t disagree he’s often sloppy in his passing, I just think it’s also the case that part of the reason his pass success rate is lower than other keepers is because he is asked to play the ball more than they are. There are plenty of garbage keepers in this league who are far worse at passing and don’t try to play the passes which Pickford attempts.

As for your post suggesting I have a defensive attitude towards Pickford(!?), not everything is that black and white mate. I’ve been very vocal in criticising him, especially his post-derby form. Just because I’ve made a comment about his passing stats, doesn’t mean I can be categorised as being his biggest fan.

You should probably check what people’s views actually are before lumping everyone in to the “defensive attitude” category.

City won’t buy him
Spurs haven’t the cash
Chelsea won’t buy him
United won’t buy him ( unless De Gea leaves , even then doubtful)
Arsenal won’t buy him
The RS have the bestest goalie in da whole wide waaarrrrld ( or so they say )
No one would pay the 60/70 m we would demand

As I keep saying, people better get used to him cos he ain’t going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.