2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
That tiny step to his right meant that he couldn't get up to the ball properly is my guess...

Or he went with his wrong hand...

Or he's too small...

Or he's too arrogant he expected to save it...

Or he didn't position the wall correctly (obvious when you have played 5-a-side as long as I have!).

Etc etc

Or he should have telepathically known where Neves was going to put it before he even hit it right.

Or he should have telepathically known where Neves was going to put it before he even hit it right.
The way I look at the Neves free-kick is that I think he's done his homework and knows what side he is most likely to go for. Like for the England penalty shootout Pickford after the game said everyone went the way they expected apart from falcao. He's played the probabilities and gone with what he felt was most likely. It's just pure luck really, if he went over the wall then JP taking the step would've given him more chance to save it. Instead he went the keepers side and he is left to look a bit foolish. It's one of them. Nothing to even moan about.

Plus who's to say that he would've definitely saved it if he stayed on that side.

Are we still ripping our Jordan apart..........we are lucky to have him. If he moves on in the future to a bigger club think we will miss him. Even his detractors will then realise that even the best keepers let goals in. Got to stop dissecting every aspect of his game and move on realising we have a good keeper.
When will we start turning on Richarlison or Bernard.......very soon I expect. Everton fans that!

Are you saying he should have saved this free kick? Mate he's not Elastic Man. That ball is hit with blistering pace and bend and into the top corner. That he even gets a finger to it shows how good he is.

I'm not wanting to jump in like i'm having a go at Pickford here, but I think it's fair enough to say he should have saved it. It's not really in the top corner, it's about a foot away from where he was standing, and he has 25 yards to see it coming. You're not supposed to guess which side the free kick is going, you're supposed to position a wall which should block one side, and take the other side yourself. He's positioned his wall but then gone to go the same side, meaning a good free kick in that corner is pretty much a guaranteed goal. It's not a horrific mistake, and I wouldn't say he 'cost us a goal' or anything, but it really wasn't a great piece of goalkeeping.

Gets tons of stick from every football fan who isn't an Evertonian. It's a tad strange to say the least..

Best English goalkeeper in years. The national side really don't deserve him tbh.

Karius was poor, yes. But your evidence that Bundesliga GKs dont do well here cant be sustained. The results have been mixed and the sample size is way too small.
If that’s the case how can you say there are 4/5 better keepers in Germany
They may be good in Germany but not suited to the PL
Different position I know but look at Klassen

boss keeper, only problem for him atm is the silly mistakes, but he's young and that'll come with experience, best keeper we have had in a long time, and same for england

If that’s the case how can you say there are 4/5 better keepers in Germany
They may be good in Germany but not suited to the PL
Different position I know but look at Klassen
Whether a new GK comes from the Bundesliga or not, the point here is the acceptance that we need a GK better than Pickford or at the very least one who will come in on about his level to push him for a start. ATM Pickford has no incentive to be giving his very best for Everton - that's just a natural outcome of having no competition behind him.

I'm not wanting to jump in like i'm having a go at Pickford here, but I think it's fair enough to say he should have saved it. It's not really in the top corner, it's about a foot away from where he was standing, and he has 25 yards to see it coming. You're not supposed to guess which side the free kick is going, you're supposed to position a wall which should block one side, and take the other side yourself. He's positioned his wall but then gone to go the same side, meaning a good free kick in that corner is pretty much a guaranteed goal. It's not a horrific mistake, and I wouldn't say he 'cost us a goal' or anything, but it really wasn't a great piece of goalkeeping.
The wall protecting one side and the keeper protecting the other side is the old way
Players now have the ability to get a ball over the wall and down again fairly quickly
That’s why players prefer a free kick 25/30 yards out rather than on the edge of the area
They actually choose the side the wall is protecting because 1) the keeper is not there and 2) the keeper won’t see it till the last minute

Whether a new GK comes from the Bundesliga or not, the point here is the acceptance that we need a GK better than Pickford or at the very least one who will come in on about his level to push him for a start. ATM Pickford has no incentive to be giving his very best for Everton - that's just a natural outcome of having no competition behind him.
I’d say his incentive is to keep his England place and he knows Brands won’t hesitate to replace him if his standard drops
You’ve still given no evidence to prove that the German keepers you mentioned would perform better in the PL than Pickford
If we could get a better keeper than Pickford then of course we should sign him
However it’s a fairly small group to pick from and the ones that would consider us are in an even smaller group

The wall protecting one side and the keeper protecting the other side is the old way
Players now have the ability to get a ball over the wall and down again fairly quickly
That’s why players prefer a free kick 25/30 yards out rather than on the edge of the area
They actually choose the side the wall is protecting because 1) the keeper is not there and 2) the keeper won’t see it till the last minute
That doesn't make sense in this instance though. He clearly chose to cover the side which the wall wasn't on, but then tried to be clever and guess where the ball was going, but got it wrong.

I think this is why Pickford gets some stick on here, because some people just refuse to accept any criticism of him and make up demonstrably false stuff to defend him, which means other people think he's getting an unfairly easy ride and so criticise him more. He makes mistakes, it's not the end of the world but he definitely does. And a fair few of them too. If people could just accept that and say yeah he's a pretty good keeper I think everyone would agree, but there seems to be some determination to have him down as one of the very very best and talk about him as if he's 19 not 24 which doesn't help.

It's a good job the internet was only in its nascent stages when we had Paul Gerrard, Thomas Myhre & Steve Simonsen in goal. At least Pickford plays with a bit of intensity, those lads played like they were scared of the ball hitting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.