2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some take a stance on a player, a manager, a stadium build, then look for as much evidence as possible to support their usually wrong stance.

Its frankly, pathetic.

Its also interesting that few who do that, rarely have the stones to admit their stance was wrong. They just continue to flail around in their own "internet must be won" obsession.
I think part of the reason for this is that for some people football is their whole life outside of work and/or family and their ‘knowledge’ of football is a bragging right and a yard stick to measure someone with. It’s ridiculous but I’ve seen people have conversations about football in the pub, it’s all good natured and then someone says something a bit against the grain and they get laughed at, told they don’t understand the game and they don’t know a thing. Being proud football lads people stick by their opinions no matter what.

I think that this has also been exasperated by social media. So many people on Twitter etc. think of themselves as pundits because they have a few followers.

That doesn't make sense in this instance though. He clearly chose to cover the side which the wall wasn't on, but then tried to be clever and guess where the ball was going, but got it wrong.

I think this is why Pickford gets some stick on here, because some people just refuse to accept any criticism of him and make up demonstrably false stuff to defend him, which means other people think he's getting an unfairly easy ride and so criticise him more. He makes mistakes, it's not the end of the world but he definitely does. And a fair few of them too. If people could just accept that and say yeah he's a pretty good keeper I think everyone would agree, but there seems to be some determination to have him down as one of the very very best and talk about him as if he's 19 not 24 which doesn't help.
Neves hammers the thing with decent placement. The keeper has to guess a bit from that distance, Pickford is not the tallest keeper and not the greatest at stopping s high shot, but I’m not sure anyone is saving that shot. But his strength is definitely stopping low shots - and he’s truly elite at it - and his distribution, even if it still is a bit inconsistent. He’s a good keeper.

I think some of the comments on here are biased towards pickford. I'm not slating him and I want him to do well as I do any Everton goalkeeper but I like to try and be as fair and honest with my assessment as possible.

He has major flaws and his height has cost him many goals and as I've said before some of the saves he makes that look world class are saves another taller keeper would save and make look routine. Thus why I had earlier said I would prefer stek in goal.

Now everyone has their own way of looking at and perceiving football.
But I have seen enough evidence from Pickford to feel this way. There are numerous examples of blunders or shots he should have probably saved if he was taller in the last few seasons. Many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

But my personal preference is to have a taller goalkeeper who can cover more of the goal unless if he's a superhuman smaller keeper like Southall. I will get behind Pickford if he's continuously selected but that doesn't mean I agree with his inclusion.

I think some of the comments on here are biased towards pickford. I'm not slating him and I want him to do well as I do any Everton goalkeeper but I like to try and be as fair and honest with my assessment as possible.

He has major flaws and his height has cost him many goals and as I've said before some of the saves he makes that look world class are saves another taller keeper would save and make look routine. Thus why I had earlier said I would prefer stek in goal.

But I have seen enough evidence from Pickford to feel this way. There are numerous examples of blunders or shots he should have probably saved if he was taller in the last few seasons. Many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

But my personal preference is to have a taller goalkeeper who can cover more of the goal unless if he's a superhuman smaller keeper like Southall. I will get behind Pickford if he's continuously selected but that doesn't mean I agree with his inclusion.
giphy.gif

Neves hammers the thing with decent placement. The keeper has to guess a bit from that distance, Pickford is not the tallest keeper and not the greatest at stopping s high shot, but I’m not sure anyone is saving that shot. But his strength is definitely stopping low shots - and he’s truly elite at it - and his distribution, even if it still is a bit inconsistent. He’s a good keeper.
Who else is in this "boss at saving low shots" elite ? What about the saving high shots elite ? Mid level shots ? Bouncing shots ? Swerving shots ? Dipping shots ? Are headers a different category ?

Never heard such nonsense in support of a keeper.

giphy.gif

Who else is in this "boss at saving low shots" elite ? What about the saving high shots elite ? Mid level shots ? Bouncing shots ? Swerving shots ? Dipping shots ? Are headers a different category ?

Never heard such nonsense in support of a keeper.

Yeah, it’s such a tricky concept.

That doesn't make sense in this instance though. He clearly chose to cover the side which the wall wasn't on, but then tried to be clever and guess where the ball was going, but got it wrong.

I think this is why Pickford gets some stick on here, because some people just refuse to accept any criticism of him and make up demonstrably false stuff to defend him, which means other people think he's getting an unfairly easy ride and so criticise him more. He makes mistakes, it's not the end of the world but he definitely does. And a fair few of them too. If people could just accept that and say yeah he's a pretty good keeper I think everyone would agree, but there seems to be some determination to have him down as one of the very very best and talk about him as if he's 19 not 24 which doesn't help.
Exactly this.

Exactly this.
What did you guys expect him to do there? He guessed a bit wrong. He’s going to have to somewhat guess. It’s on the 20 just off the half circle. Criticism of Pickford is fine, he’s far from perfect, but that’s a tough spot to be in.

Are you saying he should have saved this free kick? Mate he's not Elastic Man. That ball is hit with blistering pace and bend and into the top corner. That he even gets a finger to it shows how good he is.

Mate, if you think that’s top corner you need your eyes tested. It’s keepers side , he takes a step to his right as it’s being struck , gets fingers on it which takes it into to top corner . If he stands still he should save that

Mate, if you think that’s top corner you need your eyes tested. It’s keepers side , he takes a step to his right as it’s being struck , gets fingers on it which takes it into to top corner . If he stands still he should save that

Mate come on, there isn't many keepers in the world that would even get close to it. Even if he stood still, pace and swerve would have ended in the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.