2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is why Pickford gets some stick on here, because some people just refuse to accept any criticism of him and make up demonstrably false stuff to defend him, which means other people think he's getting an unfairly easy ride and so criticise him more. He makes mistakes, it's not the end of the world but he definitely does. And a fair few of them too. If people could just accept that and say yeah he's a pretty good keeper I think everyone would agree, but there seems to be some determination to have him down as one of the very very best and talk about him as if he's 19 not 24 which doesn't help.
Spot on. Pickford is decent, with some really good games and some really bad ones. There is no use pretending he’s something else. It doesnt help the club and it doesnt help Jordan, it just creates more pressure for both.

Remember when De Gea joined UTD when he was about 21 or whatever he was?

He was flapping at everything. Made loads of mistakes and just looked like a huge prospect full of missed crosses and a few great shot stops.

Look at him now after years of learning the position and reading the game.

It's no different to Pickford. Bags of potential + bags of heart stopping risks/mistakes.

He was flapping at everything. Made loads of mistakes and just looked like a huge prospect full of missed crosses and a few great shot stops.

It's no different to Pickford. Bags of potential + bags of heart stopping risks/mistakes.

Every single keeper does this. Ederson has them. Lloris has them. Christ Buffon and Neuer have them.

Good point. Lads a kid.

How was he looking after 3 seasons in the prem, and at 24? A lot better than Pickford is now, thats for sure.

Mate, if you think that’s top corner you need your eyes tested. It’s keepers side , he takes a step to his right as it’s being struck , gets fingers on it which takes it into to top corner . If he stands still he should save that

If you think any keeper is saving that you need your brain tested. That ball is travelling like a rocket.

A young, exciting player on our hands, a world cup semi finalist who made the biggest impact of any player in that team and some people here think we should be playing Stekelenberg.

I think some of the comments on here are biased towards pickford. I'm not slating him and I want him to do well as I do any Everton goalkeeper but I like to try and be as fair and honest with my assessment as possible.

He has major flaws and his height has cost him many goals and as I've said before some of the saves he makes that look world class are saves another taller keeper would save and make look routine. Thus why I had earlier said I would prefer stek in goal.

Now everyone has their own way of looking at and perceiving football.
But I have seen enough evidence from Pickford to feel this way. There are numerous examples of blunders or shots he should have probably saved if he was taller in the last few seasons. Many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

But my personal preference is to have a taller goalkeeper who can cover more of the goal unless if he's a superhuman smaller keeper like Southall. I will get behind Pickford if he's continuously selected but that doesn't mean I agree with his inclusion.
Absolute madman, we don't deserve success cos of shouts like this.

How was he looking after 3 seasons in the prem, and at 24? A lot better than Pickford is now, thats for sure.

Nah, can't agree with that. After two years of de gea being here I still couldn't even see potential. Pickford is more solid at 24 than de gea was imo. He definitely isn't a LOT worse, that's for sure.

A sluggish start to the season yes, but he'll recover.

1. Pickford hasn’t had 3 seasons in the Prem
2. At the point where De Gea has played TWO seasons in the Prem (as Pickford has) he had previously played an additional 1.5 seasons of top flight football for Atletico Madrid... and at that point still looked far far shakier than Pickford does now.

Mate come on, there isn't many keepers in the world that would even get close to it. Even if he stood still, pace and swerve would have ended in the same result.

If he stands still it goes straight at him or a yard to his left. Pretty sure I’m the commentary mcmanaman even starts off saying what a good FK it is, then sees the view behind the goal and say “ oh , it’s not even on the corner” “ he should be saving that” it’s keepers side , he takes a step , wrong foots himself and still gets fingers to it, if he stands still or just covers his side , he saves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.