How much more time should Silva be given?

How long should he be given?

• Press conference today at 2pm

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Monday 9am

Votes: 110 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he hadn't won anything with them, and didn't have a history of success before joining them, then there probably would be knives out for him !

Therein lies part of the problem for us when we appoint a manager, we don't quite have the pull as a club to attract a really top name, so we end up employing people who we hope can take the next step in management, and grow with us. So, barring gravy chops, we've recently had Martinez, Koeman and Silva in charge.

All of them had some attributes which made most people see something positive about them, but a significant minority found something not to like about them from day one.

Silva's blown hot and cold while he's been here. At the moment ( two wins out of five and mid table ) he's blowing lightly chilled, but, if we win the next couple of games, he'll be blowing slightly warmed.

In some ways, the question shouldn't be "how much longer should he get", but "Who, realistically, could we appoint who would be more likely to do a significantly better job over the next couple of years".

There's not an obvious answer to that, which is why, certainly for the moment, I think we should stick with Silva. If come January, we address the obvious issue at centre back, and he still doesn't sort out our defensive issues, then I think he'll be gone at the end of the season

But, at the moment, he was let down by our lack of recruitement in that area this summer, so currently gets a pass from me.

A very reasoned and balanced post. I do think Silva has been hamstrung by the failure to sign another CB but on the other hand given the overall state of the squad he inherited, there were always going to be issues.

My hunch at this point is that if we have a top-drawer manager in the making whilst still finding his feet, we would be getting more points on the board in the away games simply by Silva finding means for us to do so. The best managers, whilst always harping on about finances and budgets, can somehow still make do and mend.

I think as it stands we are about another four players off starting a season being even able to consider a genuine tilt at the top six, so that's over a third of the starting eleven. If we know we cannot make the top six, then the next determinant of "success" in my view is finishing seventh, and putting an extra 10-15 points on last seasons total. We have to bridge the gap, year on year, even if it amounts to nothing particularly tangible outside of qualifying for Europe. The next step is then to be able to manage Europa League whilst not falling over a cliff in the PL.

Come what may, barring an horrific run he gets all of this season. If we finish seventh and have European football, then by whatever means we got there, all is well. If we don't achieve that, then there are very legitimate questions to be asked concerning spending more money under his stewardship, and with his contract up at the end of the third year, it would be reasonable after two full seasons, not to opt for an extension and go for a fresh approach. You are absolutely right though, in that it is completely banal to talk about replacing him, if its only going to be someone of the same ilk and similar capabilities.

The next appointment should in theory be one with much more insider knowledge and homework behind it now that Brands is responsible in that area. I don't think he will want to be associated for the moment with a hire and fire tag but nor will he want to be seen as stagnant and unambitious.

The end of this season and where we are then will tell all.

Playing the same crap system and tactics away from home isnt anything to do with a rebuild/transfers mate.

We are crap away because he doesn't change things.

We are crap away because he has no passion and slumps on his chair when the team need someone on the touchline screaming at the players to wake up.

He's an emotionless dull one trick pony - how some fans still cant see it I dont know.
I agree with most of your posts Forever but whether the manager watches the game with a bag over his head or rants and raves makes zero difference.

Once on the pitch its up to the team to perform and lead itself. All the manager can do is issue some basic change of tactics or subs.

I dont have one ounce of positive feeling about Silva but what he does on the touchline is completely irrelevent to anything.

A very reasoned and balanced post. I do think Silva has been hamstrung by the failure to sign another CB but on the other hand given the overall state of the squad he inherited, there were always going to be issues.

My hunch at this point is that if we have a top-drawer manager in the making whilst still finding his feet, we would be getting more points on the board in the away games simply by Silva finding means for us to do so. The best managers, whilst always harping on about finances and budgets, can somehow still make do and mend.

I think as it stands we are about another four players off starting a season being even able to consider a genuine tilt at the top six, so that's over a third of the starting eleven. If we know we cannot make the top six, then the next determinant of "success" in my view is finishing seventh, and putting an extra 10-15 points on last seasons total. We have to bridge the gap, year on year, even if it amounts to nothing particularly tangible outside of qualifying for Europe. The next step is then to be able to manage Europa League whilst not falling over a cliff in the PL.

Come what may, barring an horrific run he gets all of this season. If we finish seventh and have European football, then by whatever means we got there, all is well. If we don't achieve that, then there are very legitimate questions to be asked concerning spending more money under his stewardship, and with his contract up at the end of the third year, it would be reasonable after two full seasons, not to opt for an extension and go for a fresh approach. You are absolutely right though, in that it is completely banal to talk about replacing him, if its only going to be someone of the same ilk and similar capabilities.

The next appointment should in theory be one with much more insider knowledge and homework behind it now that Brands is responsible in that area. I don't think he will want to be associated for the moment with a hire and fire tag but nor will he want to be seen as stagnant and unambitious.

The end of this season and where we are then will tell all.
Where does this `hunch' about Silva being a top draw manager come from? I have never seen anything from him in his whole managerial career to suggest this?

The end of season does not `tell all'. If we are out of the cups early but put some sort of late run together when `it doesnt matter and the pressure is off' like last season it masks an underlying malaise. End of season games when there is nothing to play for are not as important than early season games.

For me a strong first half of the season when the pressure is on and you set a base to win something or achieve something is what matters.

If we finish 7/8th with a strong finish to the season we will have the same underperfoming manager the following season being given credit for the end of season revival. Just garbage.

Under Moyes we consistently underperformed in `high pressure' cup games when it `mattered'. Then when the pressure was off we beat everyone at home for the last 2/3 months of the season and he got the plaudits. There was so little critisism of his appalling cup record despite them being the only competitions we could win.

Where does this `hunch' about Silva being a top draw manager come from? I have never seen anything from him in his whole managerial career to suggest this?

The end of season does not `tell all'. If we are out of the cups early but put some sort of late run together when `it doesnt matter and the pressure is off' like last season it masks an underlying malaise. End of season games when there is nothing to play for are not as important than early season games.

For me a strong first half of the season when the pressure is on and you set a base to win something or achieve something is what matters.

If we finish 7/8th with a strong finish to the season we will have the same underperfoming manager the following season being given credit for the end of season revival. Just garbage.

Under Moyes we consistently underperformed in `high pressure' cup games when it `mattered'. Then when the pressure was off we beat everyone at home for the last 2/3 months of the season and he got the plaudits. There was so little critisism of his appalling cup record despite them being the only competitions we could win.

That's not the point I made, re-read my post. In fact, on that score, it's closer to the opinion you appear to be advocating. I am saying Silva does not currently appear to be making a convincing argument that he is going to do better or significantly better based on what I see currently.

If we finish seventh and qualify for Europe, at the end of the season, yes, then 100% he will be manager here to start 2020/21.

This feels rather drastic and arbitrary.

Can you explain you reasoning for the next away games?

What happens if we draw all 3 but win the next 3 home games? Is 12 points from 6 games a sackable offence? Or 19 from the 1st 11 games?

Some people have lost their heads massively. Expectations are not aligned with where we are at.

It’s 1 season and 5 league games into a rebuild of the playing squad and transfer philosophy. You can’t expect instant results. +60 points should be the aim. Giving young players a chance should be the aim. Building towards Top 6 or Top 4 challenges should be the aim.

Thinking we can be a 70 point team this season is completely unrealistic after the complete mismanagement of the club and its funds over the previous seasons before Brands/Silva.

This isn’t about accepting mediocrity. It’s about accepting that it’s a long road ahead and that we’ll need patience. The club have bet long term on Silva and Brands. Better if certain fans realise this and focus energy on supporting the club rather than trying g to create divisions

If we don't start winning away games then he is reliant on winning pretty much every home game.

Palace / Villa and Bournemouth were all for the taking and with the players we have we should be doing a lot better .

To play exactly the same formation and tactics at the weekend as we did against Villa is completely naïve.

He plays Delph with Morgan S when he knows neither of them will run forward with the ball and support - Gylfi should be dropped deeper in a three man midfield or be dropped away from home and Calvert Lewin comes way to deep to get the ball and offers little threat..

He must have seen this but refuses to change it..

We just play slow passes in front of defences so they are able to get organised and then we just go wide and cross the ball constantly - and given that players like Coleman can't cross a ball and we have players suited to a different approach the tactic makes no sense.

If he doesn't change things in the next few away games it will be the same results , and if he doesn't change it in those games it proves that he is tactically inept and can't see what is glaringly obvious to everyone .

That's not really true.

The vast majority aren't at all happy with him. But I've seen very few shouts to sack him.

He will get a chance to improve things in the next few months up to around Christmas. But if he doesn't improve the away form then he wont be here next season. That's football and he will know that.

I'm beginning to really doubt he's the right man, but I hope it turns out he is. I just want to win more games. I don't want to have to find yet another manager, who could quite easily also be a failure.

Few shouts? Mate your on here aren’t you....... lol

We finished 8th last season under him - we finished 8th the season before him.

We are currently 11th in the table after 5 easy games.

How exactly are we moving forward mate?
People are referring to our results against the big 6 with nothing to play for. I’m all for saying Silva may be on to something at home. But one step forward does not equal two steps forward. We can’t even sniff a result away from home atm.

I can’t say we’ve taken steps forward apart from the players he has brought in (which I agree with wholeheartedly). He has done a great job recruiting. He needs to get it done on the field now.

People are referring to our results against the big 6 with nothing to play for. I’m all for saying Silva may be on to something at home. But one step forward does not equal two steps forward. We can’t even sniff a result away from home atm.

I can’t say we’ve taken steps forward apart from the players he has brought in (which I agree with wholeheartedly). He has done a great job recruiting. He needs to get it done on the field now.

Agree with the latter here, Silva if can find a way to sort the away form, and consistently we would be half decent more than we can be lol

Can we afford to keep sacking managers so quickly and hiring new ones who we then also sack a year a later ?

We’re still paying Martinez off aren’t we ?

Agree with the latter here, Silva if can find a way to sort the away form, and consistently we would be half decent more than we can be lol

The issue is that we won't improve away until he completely changes his gameplan away from home.

You can't look to play posession football with full backs and midfield pushed right up unless you have top level players, rock sold solid athletic defenders, and outstanding composure on the ball. Only a few teams in the world can manage it.

There's a clear formula for winning away in the Premier League on a semi-consistent basis. It's sit back, let the opposition push out, win the ball in the middle third and be very direct on the transition. We have the players and the speed to do it now too. But if he wants to keep playing like we have this season away, then we will continue to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.