How much more time should Silva be given?

How long should he be given?

• Press conference today at 2pm

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Monday 9am

Votes: 110 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you are saying mate but for me Bin Laden would have been a step up from the gravy gussler
Take it you mean Big Sam? In our managers since Moyes, I don’t really comment on Big Sam, reason being it was obvious he was brought in to keep us safe, he did that some of it was horrific football but he did what he came to do. I don’t really understand us going for Silva, he’s not done to much in the game and tbh he’s a poor manager, just hope we’re arent stuck with him for to much longer.

I think there are promising signs this season but a couple of new players need settling in (Iwobi and Kean) and when they do there will be visible improvement. Still a bit of a hole in the middle where Gueye was but I remain positive.

Almost every team has players “settling in”. It’s not an excuse. If they’re not ready, then don’t play them. It’s that simple.

Why is he insisting on playing Iwobi, when Bernard and DIgne were doing fine? Delph has slotted in with ease, so that’s not an excuse. Who else is there? Kean? Play him in the Carabao Cup until he is ready, and also bring him on for the last 20 minutes in Premier League games.

Granted – We don’t have much up front, but we scraped by with Niasse, DCL and Tosun for the whole of last season – Hey we even put that good run together towards the end. Remember that? When we threw a 2-0 lead away at Newcastle? And couldn’ts core against Crystal Palace?

I don’t go with the “Season was already over” thing. It might have been over for us, but it certainly wasn’t over for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham. They still had everything to play for.

Those big games were at home. Those poor games were away. It suggests nothing has changed. We used the excuse of players “settling in” at the start of last season. Maybe they were, but I don’t see it as being an excuse this season.

I agree with most of your posts Forever but whether the manager watches the game with a bag over his head or rants and raves makes zero difference.

Once on the pitch its up to the team to perform and lead itself. All the manager can do is issue some basic change of tactics or subs.

I dont have one ounce of positive feeling about Silva but what he does on the touchline is completely irrelevent to anything.
Agree about the touch line thing, but it his job to use man management and tactical insight to get his players feeling 10 feet tall (maybe not Bernard), motivated to win their individual battles and be first to every second ball.
It is also his job to analyse the opposition to send the team out with a game plan to hurt them.
He isn’t delivering on any of the above for me. He has had over a year to work with the players. I ve no idea who could do a better job but that’s not for me it’s for the club to solve. I personally don’t think he will get past Christmas if away performances don’t improve dramatically.

Almost every team has players “settling in”. It’s not an excuse. If they’re not ready, then don’t play them. It’s that simple.

Why is he insisting on playing Iwobi, when Bernard and DIgne were doing fine? Delph has slotted in with ease, so that’s not an excuse. Who else is there? Kean? Play him in the Carabao Cup until he is ready, and also bring him on for the last 20 minutes in Premier League games.

Granted – We don’t have much up front, but we scraped by with Niasse, DCL and Tosun for the whole of last season – Hey we even put that good run together towards the end. Remember that? When we threw a 2-0 lead away at Newcastle? And couldn’ts core against Crystal Palace?

I don’t go with the “Season was already over” thing. It might have been over for us, but it certainly wasn’t over for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham. They still had everything to play for.

Those big games were at home. Those poor games were away. It suggests nothing has changed. We used the excuse of players “settling in” at the start of last season. Maybe they were, but I don’t see it as being an excuse this season.

Iwobi has slotted in just fine so I don't really see your point?

Iwobi has slotted in just fine so I don't really see your point?

My point is that if people are going to use the excuse of players needing time to "settle in", then who is it that hasn't? I can only really think of Kean, Delph and Iwobi that are new. Delph has settled in fine. This leaves Iwobi and Kean as the only players that may not have “settled in”. In your opinion, Iwobi has slotted in just fine. If this is the case, then the excuse of players needing time is not a valid one.

Moise Kean, in my opinion, is too young to be considered a regular in the first team – Especially in his first season in the Premier League. He is the only player that the “settling in” excuse is valid.

My point is that if people are going to use the excuse of players needing time to "settle in", then who is it that hasn't? I can only really think of Kean, Delph and Iwobi that are new. Delph has settled in fine. This leaves Iwobi and Kean as the only players that may not have “settled in”. In your opinion, Iwobi has slotted in just fine. If this is the case, then the excuse of players needing time is not a valid one.

Moise Kean, in my opinion, is too young to be considered a regular in the first team – Especially in his first season in the Premier League. He is the only player that the “settling in” excuse is valid.
Weird that Delph springs to mind as having settled in well and Iwobi doesn't if i'm honest. Iwobi's scored twice and consistently looked our most dangerous player, Delph has won the shouting.

We are looking almost unbeatable at home at the moment. Even when Wolves equalised twice, I think we still felt it was our game to win and we did win it.
He needs to address our away form and quickly. I just don't get how we can be such a different team away from Goodison. Both Villa and Bournemouth, whilst not easy games, are games that we should be getting a result from.
Over to you Marco; sort it please.
No sacking anywhere near the horizon yet my Blue friends.

Our home form is excellent. Our away form is naff.

He needs to change the away form. If he doesn't, he won't last.

But for now, he's not going anywhere. Not after two defeats, not after five games when we're still in the same position of plenty of other clubs.

What baffles me is if the owners/Brands want to keep him - why not pull the clown aside and give him an ultimatum ie. You said you change nothing/tactics for away games however results and performances show its obvious that you need to adjust tactics so do it or if results continue we'll have to let you go.

The problem is our board seem to give the manager 100% free reign to do as they please and it allows for rigid stubborn managers like him and Brown Shoes to thrive.

Imagine if your job was like that - you kept cocking up on something but the management just let you carry on with how you were doing things without instructing you to change it up

What baffles me is if the owners/Brands want to keep him - why not pull the clown aside and give him an ultimatum ie. You said you change nothing/tactics for away games however results and performances show its obvious that you need to adjust tactics so do it or if results continue we'll have to let you go.

The problem is our board seem to give the manager 100% free reign to do as they please and it allows for rigid stubborn managers like him and Brown Shoes to thrive.

Imagine if your job was like that - you kept cocking up on something but the management just let you carry on with how you were doing things without instructing you to change it up

They might well have done, only I think it would be in the context of an end of season review, whether or not that is not quick enough for some people.

Moshiri has been well able to wield the axe and he seems keen on appeasing fans, although that isn't a trait which has served us particularly well to date.

The change in dynamic this time around is Brands and so initially at least, you could go on the working assumption that barely a year into the job, he isn't going to want to rock the boat too much.

I don't buy the "colleagues" relationship between Silva and Brands that both men and the club seem to like to portray - even if they get on and like each other, Silva is answerable to Brands and if Brands is as methodical as he is said to be, then we won't need to worry about him forming a match-by-match assessment of Silva.

I totally get the frustration and the Villa / Bournemouth games have been exceptionally awful in my view but I just think as a fan that taking any steps now would potentially cause more harm than good. The comparison to Chelsea in rapid hire and fire isn't exactly applicable to us. If there is a manager, Silva or someone else, that is going to ultimately succeed here then it's a given that they are going to have to encounter and overcome bumpy patches.

It may well be that Silva only gets as far as laying the groundwork for someone else to continue and complete. I do think there are worrying signs but that isn't enough to hit the panic button and reset yet again right now. I don't think Brands will have any difficulty in acting in the clubs best interest if and when he thinks something needs to be done.

I don't think we are at the stage for an ultimatum either but if Silva is worth his salt he won't need one. They must be having or are surely shortly about to have, an awkward conversation about our away form in particular. I would be utterly amazed if that wasn't the case.

They might well have done, only I think it would be in the context of an end of season review, whether or not that is not quick enough for some people.

Moshiri has been well able to wield the axe and he seems keen on appeasing fans, although that isn't a trait which has served us particularly well to date.

The change in dynamic this time around is Brands and so initially at least, you could go on the working assumption that barely a year into the job, he isn't going to want to rock the boat too much.

I don't buy the "colleagues" relationship between Silva and Brands that both men and the club seem to like to portray - even if they get on and like each other, Silva is answerable to Brands and if Brands is as methodical as he is said to be, then we won't need to worry about him forming a match-by-match assessment of Silva.

I totally get the frustration and the Villa / Bournemouth games have been exceptionally awful in my view but I just think as a fan that taking any steps now would potentially cause more harm than good. The comparison to Chelsea in rapid hire and fire isn't exactly applicable to us. If there is a manager, Silva or someone else, that is going to ultimately succeed here then it's a given that they are going to have to encounter and overcome bumpy patches.

It may well be that Silva only gets as far as laying the groundwork for someone else to continue and complete. I do think there are worrying signs but that isn't enough to hit the panic button and reset yet again right now. I don't think Brands will have any difficulty in acting in the clubs best interest if and when he thinks something needs to be done.

I don't think we are at the stage for an ultimatum either but if Silva is worth his salt he won't need one. They must be having or are surely shortly about to have, an awkward conversation about our away form in particular. I would be utterly amazed if that wasn't the case.

Pretty much my opinion on the matter. I'm not going to fire up the torches and reach for my pitchfork after 5 games, but we need to see something moving in the right direction away from home.

Weird that Delph springs to mind as having settled in well and Iwobi doesn't if i'm honest. Iwobi's scored twice and consistently looked our most dangerous player, Delph has won the shouting.

I think it’s possibly to do with the positions and who they’ve replaced.

Digne and Bernard had what looked like a great partnership (shades of Baines and Pienaar?). For Iwobi to occupy that position, it means his partnership with DIgne needs to be better than the one DIgne had with Bernard. Digne doesn’t look as effective when playing behind Iwobi.

Delph, on the other hand is occupying a position that had to be filled. It is also a little less glamorous (but no less demanding), and probably a bit easier to fit into. If you are charged with making a difference, then Iwobi has got more on his plate than Delph, who just needs to do his job well. For this reason, I think Delph looks to have made the transition quicker and easier.

Our home form is excellent. Our away form is naff.

He needs to change the away form. If he doesn't, he won't last.

But for now, he's not going anywhere. Not after two defeats, not after five games when we're still in the same position of plenty of other clubs.

I suppose that the difference between us and the clubs who mean business...we hope for the best even though we know it,s not good enough, the best clubs just make the right calls with expediency.

Status
Not open for further replies.