Heitinga as CB/CDM

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I saw of him playing in pre-season (Madrid and Betis) he seemed to a good job, especially in the Betis game where he drifted from centre back to holding midfield role, maybe he does have a future at the club.

The thought of him playing in midfield in the Moyes era used to scare me but now I think I prefer it.

Say what you will about him but he has footballing intelligence, he knows when to step into midfield or drift over either side to cover for a wing back, and technically hes still got it on the ball. I can see him being used quite a bit while hes still here, he looks much more comfortable than distin or jags in robertos style

Played that role against Blackburn second half and really gave us impetus. I thought he was a large part of our improvement second half against Betis. Made us tougher through the middle and they were not passing through us at ease as they were first half. If Gibson is injured on Sat, I would bring him in.

He is out of contract next summer and there is a World Cup. He will want to do well this season for those reasons alone.

Jags is spot on. I thought he looked a lot more comfortable in that position than Gibson and more confident on the ball. It reminded me of his form alongside Lucas Neil for a few months when we played some of our best togger from the back.

He is just too slow - something went wrong from player of the season to gash!

Carsley wasn't exactly quick but he excelled in that position and we've never really replaced him. Heitinga, like Carlsey, can pass a ball, and has got a decent shot from that 20-25yard area, and as long as he isn't ****ting out of tackles, he's a good defender.

We've never really replaced Carsley, and our midfield hasn't been as solid since. When Carsley moved on, we went from the 4-1-4-1 and ended up playing around Cahill in a 4-4-1-1. The only time we've really played the 4-1-4-1 since was around 2010 when Fellaini was dominating every game from there.

Gibson could play there as he can pass and tackle and likes dropping deep to start an attack, but Heitinga is probably more suited due to Martinez' playing style as he can drop in as a 3rd CB when defending. Think he's aiming for some kind of fluid formation that changes with the game.

...............Howard............

......Jagielka..........Distin....

Coleman......Heitinga...Baines

..........Fellaini.....Gibson.......

Mirallas.....................Pienaar

................Jelavic...............

If it's not working out and we need to play more attacking, take Heitinga off for Osman or Barkley (or a second striker if we're really desperate for a goal)

He's the best player in the squad to play in that role.
However I don't think he's the player Martinez actively wants to play in that role.

We may well see plenty of him as no-one else seems to fancy paying him £60k per week to do it elsewhere at the moment.

I remember the Tough guy John Heitinga shirk a perfectly winnable tackle once, which led to us conceding, and dropping points.

He can go for me, and never too soon. As soon as a player finds it acceptable to bottle it in the Everton jersey, he's done, regardless of how good he thinks he is.

I remember the Tough guy John Heitinga shirk a perfectly winnable tackle once, which led to us conceding, and dropping points.

He can go for me, and never too soon. As soon as a player finds it acceptable to bottle it in the Everton jersey, he's done, regardless of how good he thinks he is.

Blackpool at home. Bottled it to DJ Campbell. Made me fume so much.

No way is he a CM. A few good games in pre-season does not make him Franz Bekenbauer. Hopefully he will be on his way back to Ajax before too long as part of the Alderweireld deal.

Obviously it doesn't make him FRANZ because LUCAS LEIVA already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.