Heitinga as CB/CDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Player Valuation: £10m
Is Heitinga actually the most important part of the Martinez revolution?

During the pre-season matches which I watched (Juve, Madrid, Austrians), I felt that Heitinga was, at times, the most influential player on the pitch (save Mirallas). This is because, when we played 3 at the back, and he was the central player, I felt he was actually further forward than the other centre backs, and into centre midfield, where the onus on him was not on last ditch defending, something Distin and Jags excel at, and Heitinga struggles with, but rather on an option between the centre backs, and the midfield.

This is a position I feel too deep for Gibson or Fellaini naturally, and too far forward for Jags or Distin. I see this as being a possible position for Stones in the future.

Also, I thought that a number formation such as 343 was impossible to impose on this, as when Heitinga got the ball and we attacked through the middle, we looked very 433, or 4123, yet when the wing-backs received the ball, it looked more 343. Then, when defending, we looked more 523, so i doubt we will play 3 at the back, 4 at the back, or 5 at the back, but a mixture of all 3, every game.

Thoughts??

Possibly something in your reasoning. As to him leaving that seems to have gone quiet. His discontent started back under our ex-manager so perhaps there is a change of heart now there is a new manager with whom there may be a better relationship.

Whilst he's undeniably better, I still think he's been too slow to recover when the opposition counter, and commits to the tackle and fails too easily in dangerous positions.
Whilst he's okay as a stop-gap (unlike last season), with his salary and only one year left on his contract i'd try to move on now.
:)

Outperformed all our other central midfielders in his time on the pitch against Betis. Wouldn't be disgusted if he was to stay now, but probs not as a defender anymore.

Outperformed all our other central midfielders in his time on the pitch against Betis. Wouldn't be disgusted if he was to stay now, but probs not as a defender anymore.

yes, but neither as a CM, I feel he is unique, and therefore valuable, in that he, and he alone, can play that 'in-between' position.

Is Heitinga actually the most important part of the Martinez revolution?

During the pre-season matches which I watched (Juve, Madrid, Austrians), I felt that Heitinga was, at times, the most influential player on the pitch (save Mirallas). This is because, when we played 3 at the back, and he was the central player, I felt he was actually further forward than the other centre backs, and into centre midfield, where the onus on him was not on last ditch defending, something Distin and Jags excel at, and Heitinga struggles with, but rather on an option between the centre backs, and the midfield.

This is a position I feel too deep for Gibson or Fellaini naturally, and too far forward for Jags or Distin. I see this as being a possible position for Stones in the future.

Also, I thought that a number formation such as 343 was impossible to impose on this, as when Heitinga got the ball and we attacked through the middle, we looked very 433, or 4123, yet when the wing-backs received the ball, it looked more 343. Then, when defending, we looked more 523, so i doubt we will play 3 at the back, 4 at the back, or 5 at the back, but a mixture of all 3, every game.

Thoughts??

IMHO, the fella would be off yesterday if he could find someone who paid him the same wages, as no other team will then he will be off at the end of the contract. I,d rather we work around him if he is,nt going to be on our radar after this season.

He has played a lot better and is smiling again.We need to sign him up or sell him though as he is a free agent after this season.If we don't sign a centre midfielder i would rather heitinga play in mifield than centre half.Or like you said of which seems to be the martinez way a flexible 3rd centre back.

No way is he a CM. A few good games in pre-season does not make him Franz Bekenbauer. Hopefully he will be on his way back to Ajax before too long as part of the Alderweireld deal.

I'm the only Jags around here.
Yeah you're right, he might be a useful player this season, would rather have a proper young sexy dm but we can only dream.

Three scenarios for this guy:
1 - Sold before the window closes
2 - Bobby gives him faith, he plays boss, signs a new contract, the colossus returns.
3 - Stays with the squad and koffs on a free in jan/next summer

Alternative 3 would kind of make me fume.

Status
Not open for further replies.