Full Capacity Stadiums set to be allowed in England for new season

Is it time to open the stadiums at full capacity?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost certain there will be more infections as stadiums are allowed to be filled. I’ve renewed my season ticket but I’m having second thoughts on whether I want to go.

I know what you mean. I'm hoping my 2nd jab will be in time for the game tbh. Would just be an extra peace of mind because I really do wanna go.

Statistically much less likely to be hospitalised or suffer from long covid if you do catch covid despite being vaccinated is what he means.

Why would we have to go back into lockdown then if pretty much no one is likely to be hospitalised or suffer from long covid due to being vaccinated?

Why would we have to go back into lockdown then if pretty much no one is likely to be hospitalised or suffer from long covid due to being vaccinated?
We shouldn’t have too. The reasons for the lockdown we have had were originally to protect the vulnerable, this was especially the case when there was no vaccine. Subsequent lockdowns were linked to waves of new infections and a low number of the population having been vaccinated.

Well what you've just said there is the whole argument for reopening as soon as init.

Suppose the fear is that if [Poor language removed] loads get infected, while the likelihood for an individual to be hospitalised is lower, the odds are that still a significant number of people could be hospitalised. Or the fear that lots of infections could ramp up new variants.

I don't know myself, think as a blanket thing the government should have waited until everyone has been offered a 2nd dose before reopening.

I'm also an advocate of not reopening fully on July 19th. It does seem mad, especially when we're only a few weeks away from everyone being offered a 2nd dose. But tbf... the opening game is August 14th. Just over a month away, things could change for the better or worse in that time. I'm quite sure if it's abundantly clear that it's going to mean thousands are going to be infected in a full capacity stadium, then both the club and the league will make the necessary actions.
You would think so. Football has been an institution of enlightened behaviour all the way through this pandemic. They now need to refuse to operate to full capacity and show that they, rather than HM Government, know what is best for the public.

It's made me proud to see the game provide a beacon of light in this crisis and show a bankrupt political leadership what responsibility looks like.

In that context, it would be a terrible move for PL clubs to start packing people into their grounds if the hospitalisations are going through the roof and deaths are mounting. If Everton did that it would feel like a betrayal of the community it serves and has always maintained it puts first.

In my opinion we have to wait until everyone has had the opportunity to have two doses of the vaccine before we should pack people in stadiums like sardines. Then when that's done, we will have to get used to Covid being like Influenza and expect 10-20,000 or more deaths a year because vaccines are not 100% effective.

And in my view there are two sets of loons, the anti-vaxxers and the 'we must lockdown forever until it's eradicated' brigade - our country would have hundreds of thousands of excess deaths every year either through Covid or increased cancers, heart disease and other diseases due to NHS always being restricted.

Status
Not open for further replies.